Old 07-21-2015, 02:13 PM   #1

3650 RE Modifications

Although there is already a thread on Trilogy modifications I wanted to throw out some questions regarding possible modifications that can be made to my 3650 RE.

For instance; 1. How do you keep the desk drawer closed in transit, 2. how do you keep storage cabinet doors closed in transit, 3. How can one add shelving to the cabinet just inside the entrance door. It is narrow and high and essentially unusable as it is but could be valuable is shelves were added. 4. How can you add some much needed counter space to the island in the RE version. The RL version has more counter!

I'm sure I could come with more but those are the most immediate. My wife and I would appreciate any solutions.

Bob and Jane

Old 07-23-2015, 08:25 PM   #2

Bob,
This is what we used in our older Cougar that we traded in on for a Cedar Creek. The baby door spring locks are out of site and work great. See attached link.
Safety 1st Spring-Loaded Cabinet & Drawer Latche... : Target

We installed these on doors and drawers to keep them from fully opening when traveling.

Now for shelving I am not familiar with your trailer but what will work is using a quarter round piece of wood cut to length or 1 inch quarter round is sufficient. Turn these upside down so one flat side is up and the other is against the cabinet. Glue them in place using clamps to hold them in place; they should be even across the flat surface to support a shelf. Now cut a shelf that is 1/8 smaller than the cabinet inside walls. Stain or paint them to match the cabinet. You now have some shelves.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdeacon View Post
Although there is already a thread on Trilogy modifications I wanted to throw out some questions regarding possible modifications that can be made to my 3650 RE.

For instance; 1. How do you keep the desk drawer closed in transit, 2. how do you keep storage cabinet doors closed in transit, 3. How can one add shelving to the cabinet just inside the entrance door. It is narrow and high and essentially unusable as it is but could be valuable is shelves were added. 4. How can you add some much needed counter space to the island in the RE version. The RL version has more counter!

I'm sure I could come with more but those are the most immediate. My wife and I would appreciate any solutions.

Bob and Jane

Are the latches in good shape on the desk and cabinet doors? Mine are tight and have never opened during transport. Maybe they just need adjusting. I am also trying to figure out what to do with the cabinet by the door, I agree shelving or possibly a hook for jackets may work.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:18 PM   #4

The latches on the desk are magnets and they don't hold well.

Bob and Jane
Old 07-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #5

Magnets to keep a 20# desk drawer closed, what were they thinking??? We have catches everywhere and unless we take her through a gravel pit (which we wouldn't) all doors and drawers stay closed.
There are many different styles, though.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:42 PM   #6

We turned the closet next to the front door into a shoe closet using wire shelving, works great for us. The bottom 2 shelves are at an angle and the top shelf is horizontal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trilogy closet by door.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	84008  
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdeacon View Post
The latches on the desk are magnets and they don't hold well.

Bob and Jane
The magnets on mine are very strong. Does the metal plate come in contact with the magnet? You might try adjusting the magnet or space out the plate with a thin washer to see if it makes a stronger contact.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #8

Bill, I tried to remove the drawer so that I could readjust the magnet but could not figure out how to remove the drawer. The plates appear to to make contact but the magnets do not seem very strong to me. Maybe I could share a pic of mine.

Bob
Old 07-25-2015, 11:01 PM   #9

The first trip in our Trilogy, the desk drawer came totally out and fell in the floor and had to be reinstalled by the dealer. Supposedly they fixed it so the magnets made better contact. We did not trust the hold so we stretch a heavy duty bungee cord from the left cabinet door handle to the right handle which goes straight across the front of the drawer when traveling. Almost two years later, we have never had another problem (with the desk drawer that is).
"The Henley Condo"
freebirds2831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:09 PM   #10

For the doors with side by side handles, we put these on prior to traveling. This is also what we use for the refrigerator. We have never used that little screw thing Dynamax provides for the refrigerator. We don't do anything for single handle doors - they have never come open - yet.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/23330333?w...854391&veh=sem

"The Henley Condo"
freebirds2831 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
365, cat, modifications