Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #1

3650RL or 3850RL

Trying to choose which one to get, the wife likes the 3850 and I prefer the 3650, I know almost the same unit, does the 3850 offer that much more room? She likes the longer countertop on the 3850 but admits she is not that much of a cook. Any pros or cons to help us would be great thanks, also been watching all the threads here to gather as much info on the Trilogy that I can.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #2

We choose the 3850 for the extra 3 feet in length and for the larger pantry. We moved the sofa to the end (which is smaller but with a higher back on the 3850) and put the recliners on the side. The 3850 has a much larger basement area. The 3850 has upper cabinets in the LR that go all around the room including over the dining table; the 3650 does not. The 3650 has more storage in the bedroom wall unit. The tires are larger on the 3850. These are the reasons we bought a 3850 which mainly have to do with storage areas and more living space. Otherwise the two are quite comparable. These comments are for the RL models not the REs which we would never consider.
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirds2831 View Post
We choose the 3850 for the extra 3 feet in length and for the larger pantry. We moved the sofa to the end (which is smaller but with a higher back on the 3850) and put the recliners on the side. The 3850 has a much larger basement area. The 3850 has upper cabinets in the LR that go all around the room including over the dining table; the 3650 does not. The 3650 has more storage in the bedroom wall unit. The tires are larger on the 3850. These are the reasons we bought a 3850 which mainly have to do with storage areas and more living space. Otherwise the two are quite comparable. These comments are for the RL models not the REs which we would never consider.
Our 3650 had as a $900 option, the 17.5 inch wheels and tires. The tires are Goodyear “H” rated G114, with 4,850 pound capacity. All the tire you will ever need and a huge piece of mind. After having had two blowouts on our last fifth wheel, this was a big consideration for us. If ordering, I would add this option, much more expensive to do it later.
While we would love to have the extra three feet of space, we considered the downside of trying to get it into some of the state campgrounds and older parks that are just not designed to accommodate a 39 footer let alone 42 feet.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
Our 3650 had as a $900 option, the 17.5 inch wheels and tires. The tires are Goodyear “H” rated G114, with 4,850 pound capacity. All the tire you will ever need and a huge piece of mind. After having had two blowouts on our last fifth wheel, this was a big consideration for us. If ordering, I would add this option, much more expensive to do it later.
While we would love to have the extra three feet of space, we considered the downside of trying to get it into some of the state campgrounds and older parks that are just not designed to accommodate a 39 footer let alone 42 feet.
The length is definitely an item to be considered. In Arkansas, all of the state parks will accommodate us and all of the corp of engineers that we go to. We never boondock. To reiterate the 3650 is a super nice fiver. The only problem we have had is that the water tank/water pump are in the wrong place and have frozen three times. Never had that happen in our two Cedarcreeks. We don't know of a fifth wheel built more solid unless it would be in the two to three hundred thousand ones (which we did not even look at!!)

JD
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Trying to choose which one to get, the wife likes the 3850 and I prefer the 3650, I know almost the same unit, does the 3850 offer that much more room? She likes the longer countertop on the 3850 but admits she is not that much of a cook. Any pros or cons to help us would be great thanks, also been watching all the threads here to gather as much info on the Trilogy that I can.
In addition to the thoughts between the 3850 and 3650, would to know if you are looking at a “Trilogy” or the new “Trilogy Touring”. There are some significant differences in options quality of components.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #6

Quote:
In addition to the thoughts between the 3850 and 3650, would to know if you are looking at a “Trilogy” or the new “Trilogy Touring”. There are some significant differences in options quality of components.
It would be the Trilogy, we did see the Touring one at the factory but by the time we added the upgrades we would want it was better to just stay with the Trilogy.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #7

Pricing

This is a little ironic, but thought you might be interested in the e-mail below, I received this morning and thought you might be interested in the rebate.
I would love to see the factory someday.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning, back in September we had priced a 2014 Trilogy. I am curious if you ever have purchased a unit? Trilogy has announced a $3500 rebate program for any in-stock 2014 units. Dave

Dave Miller
Colerain Rv
513-923-3600 (O)
513-578-7638 (m)
dm@colerainrv.com
www.colerainrv.com
Old 03-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #8

Quote:
This is a little ironic, but thought you might be interested in the e-mail below, I received this morning and thought you might be interested in the rebate.
I would love to see the factory someday.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning, back in September we had priced a 2014 Trilogy. I am curious if you ever have purchased a unit? Trilogy has announced a $3500 rebate program for any in-stock 2014 units. Dave

Dave Miller
Colerain Rv
513-923-3600 (O)
513-578-7638 (m)
dm@colerainrv.com
www.colerainrv.com
That is very interesting any help saving money is good, thanks
Old 03-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #9

We have been looking at the 3850 rl as well and like what we have seen and heard so far. I talked (thru email) with a factory rep and he said the 2015 models will be out the end of this month or early April . Lots of changes as far as what is standard and what is an option on the 2015 compared to the 2014 . the 3850 rl will be 38rl with a few inside changes and with a new roof that is not fiberglass. i can forward some of the emails i received if anyone is interested.
GaryanJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryanJane View Post
We have been looking at the 3850 rl as well and like what we have seen and heard so far. I talked (thru email) with a factory rep and he said the 2015 models will be out the end of this month or early April . Lots of changes as far as what is standard and what is an option on the 2015 compared to the 2014 . the 3850 rl will be 38rl with a few inside changes and with a new roof that is not fiberglass. i can forward some of the emails i received if anyone is interested.
Why in the world would they take a beautiful unit and change it to be like what other manufacturers are offering. The fiberglass roof was a main selling point for us. That and all the standard equipment. What a shame. I would very much be interested in your emails.
Sue
sroarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Unless something has really changed for 2015, the 38RL is the "Touring Model", see string below. There are signifficant differences between the regular Trilogy and the Trilogy Touring. Hopefully they are not eliminating the fully loaded Trilogy model.

Please post the e-mails so we know the differences.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:34 AM   #12

sorry i cant get the email to copy over but if you send me your email address i will be happy to forward it to you. they told me the touring model was discontinued.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:55 AM   #13

Quote:
sorry i cant get the email to copy over but if you send me your email address i will be happy to forward it to you. they told me the touring model was discontinued.
Got the email, thanks
Old 03-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #14

2015 Changes

If all of this comes to pass, very disappointing. Forest River was late getting into the high-end fifth wheel market. By purchasing Dynamax, they gained technology that gave them a leg up, with the raised flat roof line and other class C technology. They clearly were hopping to compete with Redwood and Mobile Suites (DRV). In order to do this, they marketed as standard a very well equipped rig that both Redwood and DRV, required significant optioning to equal (composite roof, full body paint, residential refrigerator, etc). The market just did not respond. You can see that by the number of left over 2013 and 2014 still for sale, last year and this year. In order to sell them, the factory was required to incentivize the dealers, further cutting into the Trilogy lines profits. Since becoming a Berkshire Hathaway company, Forest River has become all about profit over quality and likely forced the Trilogy division’s hand.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:50 PM   #15
"Fitz" in HSV

Spending the night at the dealership to have a couple of warranty items addressed.... and saw a 2015 38FL Trilogy get delivered today. Took a quick look and the first thing I noticed was straight sides... No more curved walls. This is NOT a Touring model so it looks like they are changing the model numbering methodology. Also noticed that there are no slide-out covers --- unit has 5 slides!. May try to look inside tomorrow.
fitzhsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzhsv View Post
Spending the night at the dealership to have a couple of warranty items addressed.... and saw a 2015 38FL Trilogy get delivered today. Took a quick look and the first thing I noticed was straight sides... No more curved walls. This is NOT a Touring model so it looks like they are changing the model numbering methodology. Also noticed that there are no slide-out covers --- unit has 5 slides!. May try to look inside tomorrow.

The brochure and factory e-mails forwarded by GaryanJane, would suggest that you are correct and the Trilogy and Trilogy Touring models are gone forever. The 2015's have been reduced to middle market quality. It is unfortunate that the higher quality units did not sell and/or did not meet the corporate profit margin requirements.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzhsv View Post
Could you let me know what dealer this is at so maybe when they list on their web page I( we ) could see pictures and look for the changes, thanks

Quote:
The brochure and factory e-mails forwarded by GaryanJane, would suggest that you are correct and the Trilogy and Trilogy Touring models are gone forever. The 2015's have been reduced to middle market quality. It is unfortunate that the higher quality units did not sell and/or did not meet the corporate profit margin requirements.
I hope this is not true as I would agree with you that like some other brands they start out loading the units up then start offering less standard & more options and the quality goes down.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:05 AM   #18

Say It Ain’t So!

From what I could get from the brochure and e-mails is that the rounded “Class C” style walls are gone. The new units, 2015, will have the big box/wide body design. Also gone is the composite/fiberglass roof, replaced by TPO/Rubber. No more full body paint as standard on the Trilogy. I could not tell what they did with the roof line.
Those are just some of the major structural changes, I am sure the interior has also been downgraded.
When shopping, we looked at the Redwood and Mobile Suites. By the time you optioned either one of them up to what the Trilogy came with as standard, you were between $126,000 and $180,000 respectively. Rounded walls, raised ceiling and in one case composite roof was not even an option.
Hopefully they will not become just another Cardinal, Blue Ridge, Columbus, etc., with no real differentiating qualities between them and all the same options.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:29 PM   #19

I am glad we bought ours when we did.
Priusron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #20

we are planning on a 2013 or 2014 model because of the changes

Tags