Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2016, 06:06 AM   #1

AC Short Cycling

We have 3 ac's in our Trilogy 36RL. The one in the bedroom runs a few minutes then turns off a few minutes then back on and then back off. It does this continually throughout the day and night. The other 2 ac's are not doing this and all 3 are set at the same temp. Any suggestions?
Thumper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:31 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Try setting the fan to lo med or high instead of auto.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:51 AM   #3

Wonder if the fan is blowing on the thermostat sensor ? Cover the sensor with something & see if it stops the short cycle ?

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:59 AM   #4
Site Team

X2 on vents blowing on thermostat. Change the direction that the vents direct the air so it blows away from the thermostat. An RV A/C usually cycles more than a home system because it is working in a much smaller space so temp can be reduced much faster and the insulation is not as good so it can rise back up much faster.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:56 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. My thermostat fan mode is on auto and the fan speed is on high. The only other setting I have is the on/off for the ac thermostat itself.
Thumper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:11 PM   #6

I have three ACs in my 2014 3850RL. None of them short cycle. I have the living room AC set on 74, kitchen AC set on 73, bedroom set on 73. As long as it's not over 100 outside, all works well. The cycle as you would expect. Once it gets over 100, they run quite a bit longer (nature of the beast since insulation is minimal).

The difference in temp between the living room and kitchen allows both to cycle. If I set them the same, the living room one runs quite a bit more than the kitchen. Trial and error showed I needed a 1 or 2 degree difference setting between the ACs and they work fine. The kitchen one helps the living room one do its job.

Bedroom is a smaller area (height wise) and cools off faster. Shorter cycle times seems to occur but maintains temps very well.

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote