Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2017, 05:40 AM   #1

Attic Vents

Has anyone added the mushroom style attic vent to their Trilogy. I actually have 3 of them and was wondering if there is anything I should know before cutting holes in my roof. I know several rv manufacturers put the vents in when the RV is built.
Thumper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #2

Attic Vents

I have never heard of this idea to vent an attic in a trailer. Let me know how it works out. My concern would be water and pest intrusion as well as moving air creating an issue with the air thermal barrier. However, I would be curious if it does indeed result in a positive result.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:47 PM   #3

Really am not sure how to tell how much it helps. I know S&B homes have vents for the attic. Some rv manufacturers install them when building new. A friend of mine with a Mobile Suites has them and he said it came with them. I've read that it not only helps with letting heat out but also helps in controlling condensation in the attic area.

I did install 2 of them. I really thought there would be a small (1"-2") gap between the bottom of the roof decking and the insulation but there is not. The reflexit and insulation come all the way up to the bottom of the roof decking. There really is no way water or debris can get into the vent itself due to the way it is designed and its sealed with dicor sealant just like everything else sticking up through the roof.
Thumper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:23 PM   #4

If there is a negligible air gap in the attic, then the vent would only be making a difference between the two rafters that it is installed in, yes / no? If that is the case then would you not have to install a vent between all the rafters to have any kind of appreciable difference?
Maybe I'm missing something here but my thinking is anytime extra intrusions are made to the roof it can never be a good thing. Just my two cents worth!

Dianne & Dave
2013 Columbus 320
2014 Ram 3500 HD srw
patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:00 AM   #5

As far as I know, the Trilogy's do not have any open space between the roof and the ceiling. So I don't know what good an attic vent would do.
phil falls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent