Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2015, 07:59 AM   #1

Bolt sheared off on leaf spring

Traveling down I-35 on Friday, my wife who is following in the car, calls me and said some pieces just flew out from under the trailer. I did not feel a thing. Looked in the mirror and now see I am "crab walking" down the road. Pulled off on the frontage road and saw the rear wheel on the driver side is turned in a bit and is inches from the front tire.

Still under warranty I called Forest River Coach Net number. They were great! Talked with a tech who assessed the situation and said they would send a service person to help. They checked back with me twice to see if the tech had arrived. The tech is from Lone Star RV in Harker Heights, Tx, near Ft. Hood. The tech says I have the parts and we can fix it tonight! Did I say it was Friday afternoon on the start of Easter weekend? Got to the shop about 5:00 pm, they started working immediately! I was flabbergasted.

Unfortunately, the damage was more extensive then first thought. Have to order parts from Lippert on Monday. Lone Star plugged us in and ran water to us. So we are set up at "Camp Lone Star" until the parts arrive.

I have pictures that I will post this evening of the aftermath of the sheared bolt. I will also post updates on the repair process as we move forward.

Bad stuff happens, but I am impressed with Coach Net and Lone Star so far.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
retamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Sorry for the trouble you are having. It is great to hear of the dealer looking after you. For the most part my dealer looks after me as well. Have a Camp Lone Star kind of weekend!!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:08 AM   #3

Sad you lost a weekend due to a bolt but very happy that things are working VERY well for you at the dealers.

Are the other bolts being looked over as they are likely from the same lot # and may have issues.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:14 AM   #4

I think we've used Coach-Net maybe three times over the years and they were great each time. Finding a great dealer as you seem to have done is a big more problematic. Glad what maybe could have been a bigger event was not.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by retamaman View Post
Traveling down I-35 on Friday, my wife who is following in the car, calls me and said some pieces just flew out from under the trailer. I did not feel a thing. Looked in the mirror and now see I am "crab walking" down the road. Pulled off on the frontage road and saw the rear wheel on the driver side is turned in a bit and is inches from the front tire.

Still under warranty I called Forest River Coach Net number. They were great! Talked with a tech who assessed the situation and said they would send a service person to help. They checked back with me twice to see if the tech had arrived. The tech is from Lone Star RV in Harker Heights, Tx, near Ft. Hood. The tech says I have the parts and we can fix it tonight! Did I say it was Friday afternoon on the start of Easter weekend? Got to the shop about 5:00 pm, they started working immediately! I was flabbergasted.

Unfortunately, the damage was more extensive then first thought. Have to order parts from Lippert on Monday. Lone Star plugged us in and ran water to us. So we are set up at "Camp Lone Star" until the parts arrive.

I have pictures that I will post this evening of the aftermath of the sheared bolt. I will also post updates on the repair process as we move forward.

Mike

Make and model of trailer?
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #6

2014 Trilogy Touring.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:45 PM   #7

Quote:

Mike

On (7/11/2014 you posted that ALCO said there was a Recall on (Bolts to Axle/Frame) that needed to be Checked! Were these the Bolts that broke? With Alco axles why is Parts from Lippert on order? Just asking! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
On (7/11/2014 you posted that ALCO said there was a Recall on (Bolts to Axle/Frame) that needed to be Checked! Were these the Bolts that broke? With Alco axles why is Parts from Lippert on order? Just asking! Youroo!!
No, the bolts Alco sent out a letter about are the ones holding the axel to the frame. The bolt that sheared attached the leaf spring to the frame.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #9

Photos of suspension damage

Here are some photos of the aftermath.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #10

I will try to post photos again. Apparently I am computer challenged. To answer the question re Alco and Lippert. Lippert uses Alco axles, Lippert does the assembly. The spring hanger from the frame is cracked and must be replaced.

Mike

Old 04-11-2015, 01:18 PM   #11

Update - all welding done on the spring hanger. The tech was putting it back together and noticed grease on one wheel. Seal was ruptured. Checked the bearings and found them pitted. All the bearings are pitted and are being replaced. I bought this trailer in May 2014, I've towed it 4524 miles. If I add the driving distance from Indiana to the Dallas-Ft. Worth add about another 1500 miles. So within 6000 towing miles a bolt sheared off in the suspension and all wheel bearings need replacement. Craftsmanship and Quality Control at it's finest.

Still love the trailer, well most of it anyway, but what a disappointment from Dynamax.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Update - all welding done on the spring hanger. The tech was putting it back together and noticed grease on one wheel. Seal was ruptured. Checked the bearings and found them pitted. All the bearings are pitted and are being replaced. I bought this trailer in May 2014, I've towed it 4524 miles. If I add the driving distance from Indiana to the Dallas-Ft. Worth add about another 1500 miles. So within 6000 towing miles a bolt sheared off in the suspension and all wheel bearings need replacement. Craftsmanship and Quality Control at it's finest.

Still love the trailer, well most of it anyway, but what a disappointment from Dynamax.

That is the “Forest River Touch”. Dynamax was synonymous with very best in high-end Class C and was just beginning to get into fifth wheel production, when they were acquired by Forest River. The first year models had the typical new model issues, but were an exceptional value. Year two, FR began to have an influence by lowering the quality of components and costs to manufacture, quality suffered. Year 2.5 to 3, abandoned the rounded style for the cheaper big box, making the just like everyone else’s, but hoped to milk the Dynamax name…didn’t work and ceased production. They are likely doing the same with the remaining Class C line, milk what profit they can from the Dynamax name, before everyone figures out what they have done.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:11 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
That is the “Forest River Touch”. Dynamax was synonymous with very best in high-end Class C and was just beginning to get into fifth wheel production, when they were acquired by Forest River. The first year models had the typical new model issues, but were an exceptional value. Year two, FR began to have an influence by lowering the quality of components and costs to manufacture, quality suffered. Year 2.5 to 3, abandoned the rounded style for the cheaper big box, making the just like everyone else’s, but hoped to milk the Dynamax name…didn’t work and ceased production. They are likely doing the same with the remaining Class C line, milk what profit they can from the Dynamax name, before everyone figures out what they have done.
Too bad you have such a low opinion of FR. Don't understand why you don't sell yours and buy SOB! I sure would if I felt that way!
Old 04-11-2015, 07:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Too bad you have such a low opinion of FR. Don't understand why you don't sell yours and buy SOB! I sure would if I felt that way!

OldCoot,

You may find this of benefit;
http://smchealth.org/sites/default/f...fact_fiber.pdf
Old 04-11-2015, 07:28 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
OldCoot,

You may find this of benefit;
Just stating my opinion of your post.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Just stating my opinion of your post.

His post is just fine, FR is a volumes based company and stiffing a lot of people with a facade of class and cost and then installs sub-par junk parts and pieces.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:59 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
His post is just fine, FR is a volumes based company and stiffing a lot of people with a facade of class and cost and then installs sub-par junk parts and pieces.
Didn't say his post was not fine, just said if I had the same opinion of FR products, I would get rid of it and buy SOB. I don't like FoMoCo products and therefore don't buy them. Had 2 didn't like them so the 2nd one left in 1964!
Old 04-11-2015, 08:21 PM   #18

FR in my opinion does a great job of window dressing. The units look the best at the shows. What is underneath is where the questions arise.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:29 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
FR in my opinion does a great job of window dressing. The units look the best at the shows. What is underneath is where the questions arise.
Well, I guess I am an odd ball, I am perfectly satisfied with my FR product. I got what I paid for and what things I don't like, I change.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:30 PM   #20

Quote:
I will try to post photos again. Apparently I am computer challenged. To answer the question re Alco and Lippert. Lippert uses Alco axles, Lippert does the assembly. The spring hanger from the frame is cracked and must be replaced.

Mike

Without Pics you have (Lost Me)? Sheared bolts,welding hangers,replace bearings/seals, where are the Pics? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote