Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2016, 09:07 AM   #1

Coleman Airxcell AC

A factor weighing in favor at the time of our purchase of our 38fl, was heating and cooling/insulation. But our rig is just plain hot! (With ac running, and shaking the bedroom like like a set of out of balance tires.

So, I must be doing something wrong. We left the rig at 8:00 am or so. Both Thermostats on low a/c set to 75. We arrived back at 8:35 pm, and the temp was 91 up front, 92 in the bedroom. Ambient reached 84 outside. It took an hour and 15 minutes or so, with both units on high, and exhaust vents going to cool the bedroom to 80.

What am I doing wrong?

God Bless,
David & Cathy

2015 Trilogy 38FL
2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW
Trailersaver TS-3 Hitch on B&W Platform
dwilhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:32 PM   #2

I have been told on more than one PDI, to never use the "low" AC setting...something to do with the unit cycling.

We keep our quick cool down vents open all the time except the bedroom unit at night when going to bed, as closing them will reduce some of the noise. We keep the ceiling fans on 24/7.

Lastly, with the quick cool vent open, we find the bedroom unit has extra capacity, so we run a small 14 inch fan at the top of the stairs, which sends cold air to the kitchen ceiling fan, which is then push throughout the lower cabin.

We used a spray paint made for rubber to turn the bathroom skylight gloss white. That had an immediate impact on the heat in the bathroom. We then cut a piece of Reflectix and tucked it into the from of the skylight, which completely eliminated heat from coming in. The skylight inside so the creates a 1 to 2 inch gap between the Reflectix and skylight. When you do that, the Reflectix actually become an insulation with a pretty impressive R factor.

If you really want to get it right, try using the Reflectix to insulate the interior walls of the closet. We used strips of the Reflectix to create a gap and now can leave the closet doors open...huge drop in incoming heat.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:53 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Use quick cool dumps first till trailer cools down then switch to ducted vents.

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:05 PM   #4

Unless they improved the ducts for the 2015 Trilogy's...and I doubt that, you will likely find that the Trilogy main cabin duct work is less than adequate. At least one Trilogy owner posted his modifications to improve the flow.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:18 PM   #5

We had heat issues as well. When at the factory we had them install a third air conditioner. Made all the difference in the world. On hot days we have all three running on high and dumping the air out the bottom.

I have noticed most newer high-end units are installing a third air conditioner.

I also endorse the comment about running them on low... it is a waste of time. They short cycle, freeze up easier and cause more heat.

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hagen View Post
We had heat issues as well. When at the factory we had them install a third air conditioner. Made all the difference in the world. On hot days we have all three running on high and dumping the air out the bottom.

I have noticed most newer high-end units are installing a third air conditioner.

I also endorse the comment about running them on low... it is a waste of time. They short cycle, freeze up easier and cause more heat.

John
We've got the third AC but can only run two at a time or we trip a breaker. Are all three 15K. Do you have an Energy Management System that allows you to run all three at once.

Thanks,

BTW, I agree and always run the ACs on high fan.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:04 PM   #7

We do not have a management system. We have 2-13.5k ACs and one 15k. The bedroom AC is on one side of the 50AMP and the other two (15K & 13.5k) are on the other side of the 50AMP breaker. All work just fine.

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #8

Quote:
We do not have a management system. We have 2-13.5k ACs and one 15k. The bedroom AC is on one side of the 50AMP and the other two (15K & 13.5k) are on the other side of the 50AMP breaker. All work just fine.

John
Thanks. We have three 15Ks and run the front two at night and the back two during the day. So far that works in 90 degree weather. I'm waiting to see how it works at 100 degrees.

A service tech wants to add a thirty amp hookup that he says will allow us to run all three ACs at once. We'd plug into both the 50amp and 30amp sockets at the pedestal. I've seen large Prevosts plugged into two 50amp sockets but never have seen a 50 and 30 amp setup. I made need to try it.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:29 AM   #9

Quote:

John
We have 3 ac's on our 2015 38wt. The one we had installed when we bought the unit is powered thru the microwave breaker they said so we can run all 3 at the same time, just have to turn that ac off when you want to use the microwave. So far no problems really with the setup and is working well with the 95 degree Texas heat here so far.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryanJane View Post
We have 3 ac's on our 2015 38wt. The one we had installed when we bought the unit is powered thru the microwave breaker they said so we can run all 3 at the same time, just have to turn that ac off when you want to use the microwave. So far no problems really with the setup and is working well with the 95 degree Texas heat here so far.
Let me get this clear, you mean that the A/C and Microwave are on the same breaker, in other words they have two wires running to the lug of the breaker, and told you this was alright to do? That's against the national electrical code if they did that. One breaker one wirer. Or did they tie into a junction box that comes off the breaker to the microwave?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryanJane View Post
Are all three 15 units? Our third 15 unit is tied to the clothes dryer and we can't run the dryer and middle AC. We can't run 2 ACs with the dryer.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyG View Post
Are all three 15 units? Our third 15 unit is tied to the clothes dryer and we can't run the dryer and middle AC. We can't run 2 ACs with the dryer.
We can run all 3 15 units unless we want to use the microwave then we have to turn the middle one (one we had installed) off but we can run 2 and the microwave.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
I have been told on more than one PDI, to never use the "low" AC setting...something to do with the unit cycling.

We keep our quick cool down vents open all the time except the bedroom unit at night when going to bed, as closing them will reduce some of the noise. We keep the ceiling fans on 24/7.

Lastly, with the quick cool vent open, we find the bedroom unit has extra capacity, so we run a small 14 inch fan at the top of the stairs, which sends cold air to the kitchen ceiling fan, which is then push throughout the lower cabin.

We used a spray paint made for rubber to turn the bathroom skylight gloss white. That had an immediate impact on the heat in the bathroom. We then cut a piece of Reflectix and tucked it into the from of the skylight, which completely eliminated heat from coming in. The skylight inside so the creates a 1 to 2 inch gap between the Reflectix and skylight. When you do that, the Reflectix actually become an insulation with a pretty impressive R factor.

If you really want to get it right, try using the Reflectix to insulate the interior walls of the closet. We used strips of the Reflectix to create a gap and now can leave the closet doors open...huge drop in incoming heat.

LGray,

I'm late responding, my apologies.

Thanks very much for the advice and suggestions. No more "lo cool"! Gonna install the reflectix as soon as this demanding week ends!

Again, Much Appreciated!

God Bless,
David & Cathy

2015 Trilogy 38FL
Old 04-26-2016, 05:28 PM   #14

Quote:

John

Hello John,

Thanks for you help. We are running on Hi, and keeping up now! I contacted Matt at Dynamax to schedule warranty work. Gonna check out the 3rd unit option with them.

Many Thanks!

God Bless,
David & Cathy

2015 Trilogy 38FL