Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 05:56 AM   #1

Entry Step Recall

Is anyone else having problems getting the kit to perform the repair on these WOBBLY entry steps. My 38RL has been at the dealer for 6 weeks now and they still cannot get the kit to perform the recall on the entry steps. I emailed Matt Swihart last night and I will see if Forest River Customer Service responds about this. They said that they have to do the recall repairs first, then if the customer is not happy, they can claim to replace the step pack. I need to pickup my camper Saturday for an upcoming trip, and I am tired of waiting for the step repairs. My steps move around enough that my Golden Retriever gets nervous walking on them, I do too!

I can see why Forest River was fined for failing to perform recalls by the NHTSA.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:28 AM   #2

This is the first I've heard of a recall. Did you get a notice in the mail?
Thumper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:46 AM   #3

I know of no recall for my 2014 3650RE! My steps are so difficult to open and they don't wobble even a little bit. Actually I am trying to figure out how to get them to open easier.
rcdeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:16 AM   #4

Dealer told me about it when I comlained about the steps on my new unit. They will probably be tough to open if they ever get repaired.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:32 AM   #5

Here's a link to the recall info.
2015 FOREST RIVER CEDAR CREEK RECALL FOR EQUIPMENT, RECREATIONAL VEHICLE PROBLEM #15V273000

affects "2013-2015 Dynamax, 2014 Cardinal trailers, and 2015 Cedar Creek, Sierra and Sandpiper trailers."
Old 07-28-2015, 08:41 AM   #6

Is there a way to verify if my unit has been repaired. The steps are very difficult to open so I would assume they have been fixed. They have been this way since I purchased the unit 3 months ago.
rcdeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:08 PM   #7

Use white lithium grease and the steps will go up and down easily. We have had no problems with wobbling or rivet trouble.
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:47 PM   #8

When they do the recall, they remove a lot of rivets and replace them with bolts. So it is easy to tell if it has been done.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:53 PM   #9

Inspected repairs on 8/1/15 and picked up unit for a vacation trip. I advised service writer that steps still move too much. Bottom step pops when you put weight on it. I have emailed Matt Swihart, and got no response. I posted a complaint on SaferCar.gov for the step problem, and the rv.net response from camping world to help me with Forest River to replace this step pack. Service writer said that we had to do the recall first, did that, but did not fix the steps. I emailed Forest River about the steps on 8/1 but got no response from them. I am in a holding pattern and even considering buying a set of steps from another supplier!
Old 08-22-2015, 03:13 PM   #10

My bottom step rivet popped a few months after taking possession of the Trilogy. Had the same issue on my 2008 Cedar Creek. I just purchased a short screw, washer and lock nut. Installed on both sides of the bottom step and no more issues. Easier to fix than leaving camper for who knows how long to get fixed.

All stairs were VERY tight and hard to deploy. Finally got fed up with it and grabbed my biggest slotted screwdriver and used it as pry bar at each joint. Bent this way and that way and finally got the ability to raise/lower using one hand. My back was very thankful! Squirted in some lithium grease and no more troubles.

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:55 PM   #11

I have battled these steps from new. The recall was just performed and did not help. I also posted to Marcus on RV.net as it was purchased from a Camping World dealership. They replied last night that they were contacting Forest River for me. Let's see what happens!
Kevinc2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:58 PM   #12

Was called by Matt Swihart @ Forest River customer assistance today as a followup from my phone call on 8/20/2015. Was told that the steps were a Lippert problem, and not his problem. I did not buy a Lippert Camper, This is a product of Forest River Rv inc, but they are not interested in helping me get the entry steps Repaired/Replaced.

I am looking for the contact information of someone who cares at Forest River, because I have a Voice Mail that they need to review on my home telephone! I will gladly forward it to them for review. This was not given to me on a live conversation, but recorded on a voicemail system where it can be reviewed by anyone else. I really believe that they just do not care to take care of customers that drop nearly 100K on their products! Sorry for the rant, and please do not sanction me for blowing off steam after listening to their recorded reply. Thank you.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:51 PM   #13

I can understand the frustration. Been there done that on a few issues. I am learning more patience (the hard way of course) and have found it easier to do it myself when patience runs out.

The issue I had with my entry steps was resolved within an hour buy going to local hardware store, using a drill, screwdriver, screw, washer, locknut. Done.

Just my approach as I continue to mature at 63+

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:07 PM   #14

I found a number for a Jason at FR on a FR site if your not happy with who you have had contact with at FR call this number. Did get some results from him
Silverback Iowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:46 PM   #15

I was able to get the entire step pack changed out with a replacement step unit from Lippert. The new ones move some, but they do not POP when you hit that bottom step like the original set did. The wife is happy with the replacements. We are enjoying the Trilogy this week, but Tomorrow is go home day��

Tags
recall