Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2015, 01:11 PM   #1

Fiberglass Roof Leaks on Trilogy?

The very first post on the thread below, caused me a little concern. Note the picture on post #1, where the roof meets the cap. When re-did my Dicor a month ago, I put a bead down the molding/covers between the caps and roof, inside only. My concern then was of water getting under the cover. The exterior molding is painted and looked to be in tact, so I assumed it was leak proof. I also recall seeing a few ruffles/bubbles on one side where the roof bends down to meet the sidewalls.

roof warranty thread

Any other Trilogy 2013 & 2014 fiberglass roof owners seeing similar?
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:50 AM   #2

The link you posted isn't going where you want it to...I think!
Old 08-22-2015, 06:59 AM   #3

I was up on my roof to stem a skylight leak. Roof looked fine on casual observation and there were no ruffles/bubbles around the front cap or sides where the skylight is located.

I will do a more extensive look later this month.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:06 PM   #4

If my roof starts to crack I will go with the Roof Armor system. While I have not seen it in person, it looks like the best solution. Just like Line-X.

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguay View Post
The link you posted isn't going where you want it to...I think!
The link is " Roof Warranty " ...takes you to another thread, scroll down to post #1 for pictures.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #6

Fiberglass Roof Leaks on Trilogy?

Today I installed a window awning on the rear window. I had to move the ladder to the side. While on the roof securing and sealing the ladder, I figured I would have a look at the sealant. I found the sealant cracked at both the front and rear caps. It was cracked at the joint between the caps and the roof. I also found at least half of the screws holding the shower skylight were visible. I also noticed that quite a few of them had been over tightened and cracked the skylight. Even though we purchased this unit in April, it was a leftover 2014. When we bought it, I did get on the roof and check it over...apparently not close enough!
Old 08-23-2015, 05:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Today I installed a window awning on the rear window. I had to move the ladder to the side. While on the roof securing and sealing the ladder, I figured I would have a look at the sealant. I found the sealant cracked at both the front and rear caps. It was cracked at the joint between the caps and the roof. I also found at least half of the screws holding the shower skylight were visible. I also noticed that quite a few of them had been over tightened and cracked the skylight. Even though we purchased this unit in April, it was a leftover 2014. When we bought it, I did get on the roof and check it over...apparently not close enough!

The skylight issue was a known issue back to 2013. You shouldn't have too much of an issue with factory getting you squared away with your dealer.

Below is a link to similar issues I found this summer when re-caulking. Inspect the caulk job the dealer does when they replace your skylight.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-82141.html
Old 08-23-2015, 05:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
The link is " Roof Warranty " ...takes you to another thread, scroll down to post #1 for pictures.

When I click on that link it goes to a topic called "thanks". I would like to see the pics you are talking about. I searched "roof warranty" and found nothing with that title.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:02 PM   #9

Quote:
When I click on that link it goes to a topic called "thanks". I would like to see the pics you are talking about. I searched "roof warranty" and found nothing with that title.

Let's try again...someone else has posted additional pic's

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...y-89635-3.html
Old 08-23-2015, 06:02 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I fixed the link to the where OP meant to link to.

OP the link is causing confusion as to what you are asking. It would be simpler if you posted pictures of where you suspect you are leaking. If you are seeing bubbles with soapy water then that is likely your leak point. A leak can happen on any trailer. All it takes is one seem needing a caulk touch up.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I fixed the link to the where OP meant to link to.

OP the link is causing confusion as to what you are asking. It would be simpler if you posted pictures of where you suspect you are leaking. If you are seeing bubbles with soapy water then that is likely your leak point. A leak can happen on any trailer. All it takes is one seem needing a caulk touch up.
Thanks, but not seeing confusion, just a faulty link.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:50 PM   #12

The factory put a label on the control panel cover saying something like:
Check all exterior seals and seems every 90 days and reseal if necessary.

Igray I know you're using the right product, but for those new to rving:
Do not use silicone or acrylic based sealants on exterior seems, always use Dicor or another product recommended by the trailer manufacturer.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
The factory put a label on the control panel cover saying something like:
Check all exterior seals and seems every 90 days and reseal if necessary.

Igray I know you're using the right product, but for those new to rving:
Do not use silicone or acrylic based sealants on exterior seems, always use Dicor or another product recommended by the trailer manufacturer.
Great point, self-leveling for your flat roof areas, non-self leveling for roof areas connecting to sidewalls...as self-leveling may run down the side or be there to catch the run...self-leveling will dry pretty fast in summer sun.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:38 PM   #14

Quick update on my cracked skylight. I sent an email with pics to the service manager at my dealer. I cc'd Matt @ Dynamax. Matt replied before the dealer and stated that if it hadn't been claimed already they would take care of it. I called the dealer 2 hrs later to see what they found out. Matt had "replied all" and with that email in the file, the dealer ordered the replacement skylight. 😁

Tags
fiberglass, leak, roo, roof