Old 05-18-2015, 10:34 AM   #1

Fighting Moisture and Mold

I have long heard that moisture/dampness can be a death sentence for an RV. With that in mind, we have used several DampRid crystals receptacles and until now have been very pleased with the results. Each time we return, the containers are filled with water and crystals dissolved.

Out of curiosity, I ran a dehumidifier from Saturday to Sunday, exactly 24 hours, humidistat set at 6 of 10. To my amazement, the dehumidifier pulled an additional 2.5 quarts of water from the air in just 24 hours, with the DampRid still present and active.

Hopefully the daily output will decrease, but makes me question if DampRid by itself is enough?

Old 05-18-2015, 08:04 PM   #2

The second 24 hours with never opening the door, produced 1.5 quarts.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:29 PM   #3
Cyber Phrenologist

If you haven't done it yet, get some "Great Stuff" and get into every crack and crevice and seal them up. RV's are quite drafty and moisture can get in through all those places. You'll be amazed.

But most mold issues require a great deal of moisture as in a leak. Part of our bi-annual cleaning is to wipe down every surface in the trailer with either furniture polish, glass cleaner or a mild Lysol solution depending on what surface material we are dealing with. This whole process takes about an hour for two people. We do the Lysol last because it stinks!

Also just keep the moisture/condensation under control while you are using the trailer. Run exhaust fans while cooking and showering, use the a/c to lower humidity.

That should keep you free of mold.
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:03 PM   #4
Site Team

I have a small dehumidifier ( 30pts/day) placed in the center of the TT. I ran a separate 110V outlet fed by a separate power line out to the rear bumper. I plug it into my 30A ( with adapter) outlet on the side of my garage. This way I do not have to run the convertor when stored ( too many thunder storms). I ran the drain hose into the shower drain. I just open the grey water drain periodically to empty the water. Placed one of the extra sensors from my weather monitor on the table so I can monitor temp and humidity from house. Probably overkill, but works for me.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:13 PM   #5
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Placed one of the extra sensors from my weather monitor on the table so I can monitor temp and humidity from house.
THAT is a good idea, and I am stealing it.

I hope mine has the guts to make the trip since the trailer is a good bit from the house.
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:48 PM   #6
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

If you have humidity issues you will get under control by air circulation. I ru a dehumidifier when necessary.

Supentown SD 65E
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunpentown SD 65E Dehumidifier.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	77398  
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:44 AM   #7

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions. I will stay with the dehumidifier and give it a once over for any leaks. Granted we are in South Carolina with high humidity, but it sure seems like a lot of moisture above and beyond what the chemicals are collecting. Probably not very healthy for the RV over time.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:04 PM   #8

We always keep our Eva-Dry dehumidifier on in the RV (TT) when it is parked at home connected to electricity. We have NEVER had a humidity problem. It is so small we can take it on the road if we feel we need to. An inexpensive and easy solution. Just remember to empty the water receptacle every few days when it's humid.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Out TT is in a campground in SW Ohio, notorious for hot swealtery, humid summers. We put the damp rid tub under the kitchen sink and seave a second tub in the bathroom. After I shower, squeegee and wipe down the shower, I put the damp rid tub in the shower stall. We hang all wet towels, wash clothes, and dish towels outside as much as possible to keep the moisture down.
In addition when we close up for the weekend (We're usually in the TT all week and leave on the weekends because of my work situation) we leave the dehumidifier running till we come back.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:44 PM   #10

I live in Swampville, aka: Houston. When not in use, our RV trailer sits under a tin roof at an RV storage lot but sides are open. Mainly, it keeps sun and elements off. The guy who owned it before always kept bathroom vent open and the electric exhaust fan running. Is this good practice or would it make a lick of difference in minimizing humidity?

Follow my blog: americanbluestreak.com
donhillphoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mold