Old 06-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #11

I had a Husky 26K installed at Holman's, when I purchased the Trilogy and Truck together. The truck I traded in had the Reese 18K, but I decided to bite the bullet and get all new. I think I am probably a little over kill, but didn't know for sure. I know I love the way this tows as compared to my past Bighorn. It was 40 ft and about 3M #'s lighter, but trilogy tows much better. Colerain is only about 45 minutes from Us and never heard anything negative. I've went there a few times this spring to see the changes made this model year. They did not handle Dynamax when We bought ours. we actually ended up having the 2nd awning installed on our unit. What a great 5ver this has been.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:02 AM   #12

Rambler5860, Colerain has been good so far ,we are trying to do a deal with them for generator, washer/dryer and possibly the hitch separate from our 3650RL purchase.
Are you fulltiming in it? Or just use it for weekends and vacations?

Defiant530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #13

I'm still working for a couple more years and then plan to full time. I'm excited about that time coming and wanted to get everything paid off before retirement. I figured it was a lot easier now than later. What type of generator are you planning? I've been curious about how a generator would work on the unit. Examples would be total price installed, generator brand, noise level and LP consumption. Since I have the larger LP tank, that definitely helps. I currently have a large generator that I've used, but only in situations of camping in the middle of no where, so noise wasn't an issue. I just think on board would be nice.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #14

Rambler, we are not old enough to retire (52 & 51) but we are going fulltime in 2014 we will still be working ,just not doing what we do now. We will be totally debt free by then, so we decided to do it while we are young enough to enjoy it to its fullest.
We will be having an Onan 5500 that runs off the propane , so no need to carry any other fuel, I can't really help on the cost right now as we are still working out the total cost for the package, but the 5500 runs from about $4995 to $5300 give or take. A little pricy I know but no mess no fuss.
We have the gas model on our current motorhome its so nice to just hit a button and instant power, quieter than most generators out there and no lugging it in and out
Old 06-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #15

Personally I didn't want the generator but the DW insisted..... but I will admit the genny on our Class A saved our behinds twice when power was out for 4 days due to flooding and another 4 days after storm took out power lines, we where one of the few houses who had lights in the neighborhood..... so I guess I have to give the wife credit where credit is due
Old 06-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #16

I just keep thinking that an on board generator would be so handy for those unplanned stops and more freedom on places to stay. It would definitely make me 100% independent. I'm just really curious what the LP consumption would be. I've been doing some web surfing tonight, but haven't been able to find any reporting. I also posted this question in a thread, but have had no responses. I hope that everything works out with yours and I'd like to see the final install. Are you working with Sales at the Colerain location or Indianapolis. We are located in the middle of both off I74.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #17

Well I do know gasoline is more efficient at producing power than propane,and I have read gas model uses less than 1/2 a gal per hour, so I will have to assume propane will use more,but I obviously don't know for sure and I also was looking a little bit for fuel consumption figures and have not as yet found any numbers. Hopefully you will have better luck
Old 06-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #18
WAP

If you go to the Onan generator site on line and look up the 5.5kw Marquis gold unit, you will find both the gas and Lp models. In the spec section are the fuel consumption rates.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #19

Thanks,I found it. Looks like half load is 3.3 lbs/hr and full load is 4.6 lbs/hr. Definitely couldn't run for long periods of time. Wonder how real life these numbers are.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #20

Nope ,you couldn't run it for long periods of time ,but I never ran mine for more than a couple of hours at a time usually in the morning, breakfast , recharge the battery bank ,heat water on electric, and then in the evening for dinner and all of the other stuff, this was when we where in Yellowstone and many campgrounds have generator restricted hours, but we did fine and we were gone all day anyways