Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #1

Fixed my furnace

I was tired of my furnace coming on just because I set the thermostat more than 5 degrees above room temp. I added a switch to the white wire so I can regulate when it comes on.

You will need a switch, a cover plate, a low voltage open box and some way to cut the hole. Be careful when cutting the hole as there are wires in the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131226_114422.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	44202   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131226_114707.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	44203  
Priusron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
Always Learning

My thermostat has an "off" position. Did yours not have one?
Old 12-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #3

Yes but that turns off both the furnace and heat pump. I want to prevent the furnace from running just because of the temp difference between the room temp and the set temp
Old 12-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
Working the Life

Is this to turn off only the furnace and let the Heat Pump run?
I have this issue on my unit and had read in the manual that the heat pump was to try three times for 20 minuted before turning on the Furnace.
Isn't this why the thermostat has a Gas or Electric switch?

KD Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #5

It stops the propane furnace from starting you must cut the white wire. Not the white with black stripe also go by the wires connected to thermostat. The heat pump still works. What you read was about hoe if the heat pump can't maintain the temp after 3 events it will switch to furnace as primary. If the temp is going to be too low for heat pump I will turn on switch. It is going to be 20 f tonight. Switch goes on. Primary purpose is to prevent furnace from starting if I raise thermostat more than 4 degrees over room temp. Let the heat pump do its job. This is also in prep for programmable thermostat
Old 12-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
Working the Life

Thanks for the post.
Is anyone aware of a different Thermostat that works with both the heat pump and the furnace that will function better?
There must be a style that enables you to run either forms of heating mode independently.
While we are on the subject of Thermostats, has anyone installed thermostat for the Fireplace?

Happy Holidays
KD

KD Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm at a loss as to why you would turn the thermostat up above room temp, if you didn't want the heat to come on.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priusron View Post
Yes but that turns off both the furnace and heat pump. I want to prevent the furnace from running just because of the temp difference between the room temp and the set temp
Ohhh, ok- I'm glad I asked. With not having a heat pump, I didn't think of them or really even understand the difference. I think the Dometics have some Heat Pump setting specifically for controlling it (I think I've noticed it in the manual). But no idea how it works.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I'm at a loss as to why you would turn the thermostat up above room temp, if you didn't want the heat to come on.
I want to use the heat pump but not the furnace. Last night the heat pump and 2 space heaters kept the temp above 62 with outside temp at 20. I have computer fans blowing in a floor register to keep the pipes from freezing. Without the switch I would be using the furnace too and using propane
Old 01-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priusron View Post
I want to use the heat pump but not the furnace. Last night the heat pump and 2 space heaters kept the temp above 62 with outside temp at 20. I have computer fans blowing in a floor register to keep the pipes from freezing. Without the switch I would be using the furnace too and using propane
Priusron, I must be misunderstanding your posts on this? It's my understanding that it must be above 40-something F for the heat pump to work at all?

Sherry
WestWardHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #11

A heat pump works by taking heat out of the outsidevair and releasing it inside. It is good down to about 35. Then you have to use your emergency heat. That would be our furnace. If it is above 35 I don't want the furnace using propane. I have 2 space heaters and they supplement the heat pump very well. I have other projects to prevent fretting in the belly that I will do later.

Tags
furnace