Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #1

Forest River can learn from Winnebago

First let me start by saying I still have and love my 2013 Trilogy and have no plans to part with it any time in the near future. However, I recently purchased a Winnebago Aspect 30J, for easier access to state parks and local trips. Beyond the incredibly excellent quality and craftsmanship, Winnebago vastly exceeds Forest River on client service and putting the customer first. In business since 1955, they manufacturer most of their own parts, I.E. metals, plastics, etc. Every part, down to every cabinet door is numbered and made available via their on-line master catalog, making ordering replacement parts seamless. Also available on line are all mechanical diagrams and schematics for the entire rig, down to wire numbering. And for the piece de resistance, they have a coach specific owner’s manual that even includes components that they do not manufacturer. Technical help is just a phone call away and is not contingent upon the coach being under warranty and yes they actually answer the phone when you call.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #2

Now you tell me! I parted with an old, ugly (yet fully functional) Southwind early this year and switched to a Wolf Pup. The idea was to save gas and get into more remote locations. I'm not sure who is worse: Forest River or Michael Hohl RV. I have finally accepted there is no such thing as warranty work and that the support ended when I signed the purchase order. The build quality is unbelievably poor. I don't expect it to last more than 5 years, even with constant attention. I just cancelled my extended warranty since I have to fix everything myself anyway. I will certainly look at Winnebago next time around, but I will have to find a dealer that actually knows how to fix things.
Wandering Jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:26 AM   #3
Plain Old Member

Sounds like Tiffin with the making of parts, getting parts, manuals, schematics, answering phones and so on. I too wish FR would catch on. The Winnies and Tiffins have a cult following for good reason sometimes.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:39 AM   #4

That would be nice, get with the program FR!!!
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:12 AM   #5

Absolutely correct on the difference between Winnebago and Forest River. I was able to download schematics and manuals and problem sheets, etc from Winnebago for my motorhome. Forest River - NOTHING available. When I traded in that motorhome ( could NOT keep mice out of it - too many openings ) for my 38FL, I included three large notebooks of information.

Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:56 AM   #6

Guess this is just another reason they are one of the fastest growing company's in the USA. 400% plus growth this year. FR should take note and wake up and provide their customers information specific to their rigs small or large rigs. What's the big secret all about. Their lack of available info on their different units is hurting them if they know it or not.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 11-23-2014, 12:09 AM   #7

I love my G'town and don't think anyone else makes a coach as nice in this size for similar $$. That said...I also shopped Winnie and Tiffin and Newmar... and it is quite obvious that FR customer service and parts/schematics etc. are light years behind Winnie...who sets the standard for information & parts. Tiffin sets the standard for customer care and standing behind their product.
Forest River is good at a LOT of things...but this is where they NEED to improve to grow.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #8

They can only improve since they offer no spec info on our units to speak of.
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 11-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #9

It's all a matter of who learns the lesson first. If FR learns what matters and learns what keeps and brings back customers or if the end user learns that another manufacture has a better product, better service and better customer care.

If FR continues to maintain the current path, they will not grow as much as the could. Simple economics!
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #10

Just to add to this, I bought Flagstaff thinking it was a better product in many ways, and yes it is better than some of the other choices available, but we "Learn" as we grow. If FR. doesn't "Learn", my next purchase will NOT be another FR. product. Same reason I no longer buy Craftsman tools.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #11

What happened to craftsman?
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 11-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #12

Speaking to my FR purchase (Solera) and the comparable winnie unit, FR's design was superior at a price point that was 20 grand cheaper. Yes the design is subjective, but 20 grand! Just don't see it.

Not knowing the complete story on winnie and FR, (i.e. acquisitions, consolidations) in the last industry downturn, It's difficult to judge, but a step in a direction by FR to start documenting build procedures, electrical wiring, plumbing layout, etc., and rolling that into a comprehensive manual, by make and model, sounds like a good idea for a portion of us buyers who are DIY'ers, and just a good overall general feel good customer selling point.
That, I believe will enhance sales, which is what all RV companies strive to accomplish.

May I suggest that FR contact their local University system, drill into where "technical writing" is part of a curriculum, and offer a work study w/stipend type internship, and develope a continuing relationship with those schools, to create a system that will be helpful to all parties. Heck even get their "graphic arts" department to design the layout.

We, as owners can complain, I say their are good people at FR, like Brian in the class C division, who steps up on his own, and offers solutions to forum posters. So, take a direction, act on it and make this better for all concerned.

Sounds like a good start, with effort from the current folks in the documentation function, and minimal expense on FR's side, and you help the bond between industry and academia. What do you guys think?
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #13
Site Team

Our previous TT came with a binder that contained the manuals and warranty information for EVERYTHING in or on the unit. There was a printed inventory sheet that listed make, model serial number of everything installed in the TT. There was even a small pouch with spare washers for the faucets. My FR came with a zip-loc bag with less than half of the documentation and no warranty information for the installed components. A request to the dealer got me a few more soft copy manuals and a hand scribbled inventory list, most of which was unreadable.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
...May I suggest that FR contact their local University system, drill into where "technical writing" is part of a curriculum...
Great idea! Too many firms leave manual writing to their engineering departments, resulting in information useful only to (surprise!) other engineers. Technical writers are experts at organizing data and explaining it in a useful manner to actual users.

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud yapster View Post
What happened to craftsman?
Have you tried to get them to stand behind their "Life time" warranty? It's like pulling teeth. Now you can also buy craftsman tool at K-Mart. They are made so much cheaper than their older tools.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
Have you tried to get them to stand behind their "Life time" warranty? It's like pulling teeth. Now you can also buy craftsman tool at K-Mart. They are made so much cheaper than their older tools.

I hope FR does like Crafstman I have no problen getting crafstman replaced just go to local ACE hardware that sells them and get replaced with no problem. I guess it has lots to do with local dealers taking care if customers think I have a good dealer for my Rockwood but so for not had any real problems to test them out. Hope it continues that way.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #17

You can't get a Winnebago product at the same price point as FR. You're comparing a Lexus to a Chevy and complaining about the Chevy, IMHO.

If you can afford it, you buy a Winnebago. If you can't, or don't want to pay that much, you buy the FR.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
You can't get a Winnebago product at the same price point as FR. You're comparing a Lexus to a Chevy and complaining about the Chevy, IMHO.

If you can afford it, you buy a Winnebago. If you can't, or don't want to pay that much, you buy the FR.

The 2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J, carrries a 3.5% higher MSRP than FR's Lexington 300 SS, very similar in design, set up and standard features.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river