Old 11-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #1

Forest River can learn from Winnebago

First let me start by saying I still have and love my 2013 Trilogy and have no plans to part with it any time in the near future. However, I recently purchased a Winnebago Aspect 30J, for easier access to state parks and local trips. Beyond the incredibly excellent quality and craftsmanship, Winnebago vastly exceeds Forest River on client service and putting the customer first. In business since 1955, they manufacturer most of their own parts, I.E. metals, plastics, etc. Every part, down to every cabinet door is numbered and made available via their on-line master catalog, making ordering replacement parts seamless. Also available on line are all mechanical diagrams and schematics for the entire rig, down to wire numbering. And for the piece de resistance, they have a coach specific owner’s manual that even includes components that they do not manufacturer. Technical help is just a phone call away and is not contingent upon the coach being under warranty and yes they actually answer the phone when you call.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #2

Now you tell me! I parted with an old, ugly (yet fully functional) Southwind early this year and switched to a Wolf Pup. The idea was to save gas and get into more remote locations. I'm not sure who is worse: Forest River or Michael Hohl RV. I have finally accepted there is no such thing as warranty work and that the support ended when I signed the purchase order. The build quality is unbelievably poor. I don't expect it to last more than 5 years, even with constant attention. I just cancelled my extended warranty since I have to fix everything myself anyway. I will certainly look at Winnebago next time around, but I will have to find a dealer that actually knows how to fix things.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:26 AM   #3
Plain Old Member

Sounds like Tiffin with the making of parts, getting parts, manuals, schematics, answering phones and so on. I too wish FR would catch on. The Winnies and Tiffins have a cult following for good reason sometimes.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:39 AM   #4

That would be nice, get with the program FR!!!
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:12 AM   #5

Absolutely correct on the difference between Winnebago and Forest River. I was able to download schematics and manuals and problem sheets, etc from Winnebago for my motorhome. Forest River - NOTHING available. When I traded in that motorhome ( could NOT keep mice out of it - too many openings ) for my 38FL, I included three large notebooks of information.

Don
dmdrj5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:56 AM   #6

Guess this is just another reason they are one of the fastest growing company's in the USA. 400% plus growth this year. FR should take note and wake up and provide their customers information specific to their rigs small or large rigs. What's the big secret all about. Their lack of available info on their different units is hurting them if they know it or not.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 11-23-2014, 12:09 AM   #7

I love my G'town and don't think anyone else makes a coach as nice in this size for similar $$. That said...I also shopped Winnie and Tiffin and Newmar... and it is quite obvious that FR customer service and parts/schematics etc. are light years behind Winnie...who sets the standard for information & parts. Tiffin sets the standard for customer care and standing behind their product.
Forest River is good at a LOT of things...but this is where they NEED to improve to grow.
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #8

They can only improve since they offer no spec info on our units to speak of.
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 11-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #9

It's all a matter of who learns the lesson first. If FR learns what matters and learns what keeps and brings back customers or if the end user learns that another manufacture has a better product, better service and better customer care.

If FR continues to maintain the current path, they will not grow as much as the could. Simple economics!
Old 11-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #10

Just to add to this, I bought Flagstaff thinking it was a better product in many ways, and yes it is better than some of the other choices available, but we "Learn" as we grow. If FR. doesn't "Learn", my next purchase will NOT be another FR. product. Same reason I no longer buy Craftsman tools.

Tags
forest river