Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #1

Future trilogy owner

First of all I would like to say thanks for all the useful information on this forum. My name is Mark, my wife's name is Karen, we have been thinking of getting a fifth wheel for quite some time now. I like to research things thoroughly before jumping in. A while back, we went to the Dynamax factory to tour the facility, and were very impressed. Jeremiah at Dynamax was very helpful in showing us what we wanted to see, and how the build process works (very impressive). My wife and I like the Trilogy 3650RE, which seems to fit our needs very well. I would love to have this unit right now, but we would like to have this thing paid for when we pick it up, shooting for middle of next year. I am still researching a lot of things, hitch for 2012 F350 diesel. Also checking in to disc brake upgrade for the Trilogy. I am really looking forward to getting this, and enjoy all the feedback you new Trilogy owners are giving.

Mark
markmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #2

KLBrown

Mark,

I own a 3650 RE I purchased in March of this year. Like you I was impressed by the quality of the trailer itself, and liked the way it was built. I have however discovered a couple of things that you should be aware of before you put your money down.
1. The refrigerator as you probably know only runs on 110 therefore it must be supported by the inverter whenever you are NOT on shore power, or a generator. I found that this can be a problem due to the fact that so much of the lighting, slide motors, and exhaust fans run on 12 volts, AND that whether you are plugged into power or not,,,, EVERYTHING 12 volt comes off the batteries, and the reason this is critical is that at best there is only a trickle charger supplying power to restore those batteries to a satisfactory level.
What I'm saying here is this, you could find yourself plugged in to a full hook up RV spot somewhere for an extended period of time, and still end up with a problem supporting the refrigerator for any length of time when you leave.
I am presently trying to solve this problem with my unit. The one 10 day trip I took in July was extremely challenging because of just this power problem with the 12 volt system.

2. Consider that this trailer weighs almost 15,000 pounds empty. I was a fire Engineer for 20 years in California which made me very comfortable driving a vehicle at 40,000 pounds. Even I found myself reaching back for skills, and practices I hadn't used for years when I started pulling this unit. Tongue weight alone is 3000 pounds. I pull mine with a 3/4 ton DuraMax right now that has Firestone air bags for additional support. It's too small. You'll need at least a 1 ton.

Good luck Mark

Ken Brown
KLBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #3

Thanks for the info Ken, I have been seriously considering putting a generator on this unit, but I would like to keep the weight down as much as possible, things add up quickly. I have a 2012 F350 with the 6.7 diesel, I know will pull it fine. Stopping is another issue, this is why I am checking into upgrading to the disc brakes on the Trilogy. "WOW", you're pulling with a 3/4 ton, that is the last truck I had, 3/4 ton Dmax, it was a great truck for me, put over 200,000 miles on it, but never towed a fifth wheel with it. You will have to let me know how the braking is with your truck, I appreciate your input.

Mark
Old 09-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
Grape Escape

I cannot believe a former fire engineer would overload a 3/4 ton pickup with a 5th wheel of this size. I would not even dream of it.
As to the disk brakes they can be very problematic if the trailer sits for long periods of time as they are affected much more than drum brakes due to rotors rusting in damp and humid conditions. I know of someone who upgraded his drum to disk and had to revert back to drum brakes.
IMHO
Awesome 5th wheel by the way
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #5

KLBrown

Well, like the man said, you have to know your limitations.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
Tom & Gayle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLBrown View Post
Mark,

I own a 3650 RE I purchased in March of this year. Like you I was impressed by the quality of the trailer itself, and liked the way it was built. I have however discovered a couple of things that you should be aware of before you put your money down.
1. The refrigerator as you probably know only runs on 110 therefore it must be supported by the inverter whenever you are NOT on shore power, or a generator. I found that this can be a problem due to the fact that so much of the lighting, slide motors, and exhaust fans run on 12 volts, AND that whether you are plugged into power or not,,,, EVERYTHING 12 volt comes off the batteries, and the reason this is critical is that at best there is only a trickle charger supplying power to restore those batteries to a satisfactory level.
What I'm saying here is this, you could find yourself plugged in to a full hook up RV spot somewhere for an extended period of time, and still end up with a problem supporting the refrigerator for any length of time when you leave.
I am presently trying to solve this problem with my unit. The one 10 day trip I took in July was extremely challenging because of just this power problem with the 12 volt system.

2. Consider that this trailer weighs almost 15,000 pounds empty. I was a fire Engineer for 20 years in California which made me very comfortable driving a vehicle at 40,000 pounds. Even I found myself reaching back for skills, and practices I hadn't used for years when I started pulling this unit. Tongue weight alone is 3000 pounds. I pull mine with a 3/4 ton DuraMax right now that has Firestone air bags for additional support. It's too small. You'll need at least a 1 ton.

Good luck Mark

Ken Brown
Just reading this info and thought we would add that our Trilogy is set up differently. We have a 2013 3650RL and as I understand when you are plugged into shore power your 12 volt systems are supplied by power through the converter which converts ac to dc. Also when reading the inverter manual it states when you are plugged into shore power the inverter is in bypass and the refrigerator is supplied directly from your ac shore power. The only time the batteries are supplying power is when the shore power is disconnected. When you turn the inverter on it should show the amount of battery voltage.
If you have the charging line connected from your tow vehicle through your trailer plug and your batteries have a sufficient voltage on your rv your charging line should be sufficient to keep your refrigerator powered through the inverter while traveling. The only time you should have to worry about battery drain is when dry camping. From what I understand fully charged batteries will power the refrigerator inverter for a period of 24 hours depending on how much lighting is used in that period.
We had a 5500 watt Onan generator installed upon purchase at Lazy Days in Tampa. This would solve dry camping problems for you.
We have traveled with our Trilogy since July with no problems with battery drain so this has worked for us.
Tomngayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #7

KLBrown

Tom,

Thanks for your information regarding your 3650 RL. I'm sure mine is set up the same way. It sounds like you must have gotten a great introduction, and more importantly, good instruction about it's use.
Your input has given me a much more positive outlook on my own situation.

Thanks
Ken
Old 09-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #8

I also recommend a 1 ton ,dually is preferable , we tow ours with a 2012 Dodge w/the Cummins , and the exhaust brake is great, rarely had to touch brakes coming down the hills.
Ours has the I think its the 7 prong connector and it keeps the batteries fully charged going down the road with the fridge running.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #9

I agree. I manage mine with the 2500 HD I have, but I rely on a good deal of training I received to control the load. I would never recommend less than a 1ton tow vehicle. My next truck will have at least that rating.
Any recommendation for the Cummins over the Duramax?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
Grape Escape

These guys must have had the same training

I guess anything is possible
Attached Images

44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #11

Ha! GOOD ONE!
Old 09-11-2013, 04:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLBrown View Post
I agree. I manage mine with the 2500 HD I have, but I rely on a good deal of training I received to control the load. I would never recommend less than a 1ton tow vehicle. My next truck will have at least that rating.
Any recommendation for the Cummins over the Duramax?
I just prefer the Cummins and its reliability track record, but that being said the Allison transmission in the Chevy can't be beat.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #13

Off to the Hershey show for the weekend and I plan to spend a lot of time at the Triology display
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Off to the Hershey show for the weekend and I plan to spend a lot of time at the Triology display
Have a great time! Bring your checkbook ! Wait....scratch that it will only get you in trouble.......
Old 09-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #15

I would like to thank everyone for their input, I would like to ask TomnGayle, where on the Trilogy did you install the generator.

Mark
Old 09-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #16

Mark ,it is installed in the front compartment ,and the inverter for the fridge is also in the same compartment
Old 09-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #17
Tom & Gayle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant530 View Post
Mark ,it is installed in the front compartment ,and the inverter for the fridge is also in the same compartment

Mark,

If you are planning on having a generator installed make sure the unit you want is
generator prepped from the factory. It is quite a bit more expensive to install one in a unit that is not prepped with the propane and electrical feed wires. The 5500 war Onan will add about 200 lb to the front of your unit.
Tomngayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
I cannot believe a former fire engineer would overload a 3/4 ton pickup with a 5th wheel of this size. I would not even dream of it.
As to the disk brakes they can be very problematic if the trailer sits for long periods of time as they are affected much more than drum brakes due to rotors rusting in damp and humid conditions. I know of someone who upgraded his drum to disk and had to revert back to drum brakes.
IMHO
Awesome 5th wheel by the way
I have a 2008 Cedar Creek 37RDQS that I had the IS and Disc Brakes installed by MOR/ryde at their plant. It's been about 3 years now and over 30,000 miles on them. No issues what-so-ever. They stop the trailer on a dime.

I am in the process of purchasing a 2014 Trilogy and will have the IS and Brakes installed before delivery. Would never have another camper without either one.

JMHO

John
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomngayle View Post
Mark,

If you are planning on having a generator installed make sure the unit you want is
generator prepped from the factory. It is quite a bit more expensive to install one in a unit that is not prepped with the propane and electrical feed wires. The 5500 war Onan will add about 200 lb to the front of your unit.
Thanks for the info, I was planning on getting a unit that was generator prepped.

John, I was looking at the Mor/ryde, looks like a nice setup. You'll have to let me know how it works on the Trilogy.

Thanks again for your input,

Mark
Old 10-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #20

Well, me and my wife are headed to the RV show in Novi MI this weekend. I talked to Jeremiah at Dynamax and unfortunately he doesn't seem to think there will be any Trilogy units at the show. I called Norm at National RV and he also said they are not bringing any Trilogy's. We will be going and looking around anyways, and hope to have a good time. I will let you know how the show is.

Mark