Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #1

Hello from Lauderdale new owners of a Trilogy

We are now officially the owners of a new 2013 Dynamx Trilogy 3850. We traded in our 2008 Airstream 31 Classic Limited and our GMC 2007 HD 4x4 Z71 diesel for a 2013 GMC 3500HD 4x4 Dually long bed. The Trilogy is now being prepped at Lazy Days with an Onan 5.5Kw gen, washer and dryer and etc, (rear view camera and tire pressure monitoring system) The truck got a Linex and will get an aluminum roll cover and a reese 20000 hitch. If need be air bags and another leaf spring after testing final weight and drive at Lazy days. To replace the oven we loose from the Airstream I will order a Big Green Egg and haul it around on the rear hitch. If you pass me on the road you may smell the briskets smoking! Planning on an Alaska trip leaving in May. The financial numbers made a lot of sense, new trailer with replacement insurance as the AS ran out and the equity was decreasing as a ratio to what was owed on the loan. New fifth wheel better rate and about $100 more @ mo, and the new truck is less than the 07 and more tricked out! Buy on the west coat of florida not the east for your truck!
chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new Dynamx Trilogy!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #3

Hey there,

to the forums

Congrats on the new RV
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaimemet
We are now officially the owners of a new 2013 Dynamx Trilogy 3850. We traded in our 2008 Airstream 31 Classic Limited and our GMC 2007 HD 4x4 Z71 diesel for a 2013 GMC 3500HD 4x4 Dually long bed. The Trilogy is now being prepped at Lazy Days with an Onan 5.5Kw gen, washer and dryer and etc, (rear view camera and tire pressure monitoring system) The truck got a Linex and will get an aluminum roll cover and a reese 20000 hitch. If need be air bags and another leaf spring after testing final weight and drive at Lazy days. To replace the oven we loose from the Airstream I will order a Big Green Egg and haul it around on the rear hitch. If you pass me on the road you may smell the briskets smoking! Planning on an Alaska trip leaving in May. The financial numbers made a lot of sense, new trailer with replacement insurance as the AS ran out and the equity was decreasing as a ratio to what was owed on the loan. New fifth wheel better rate and about $100 more @ mo, and the new truck is less than the 07 and more tricked out! Buy on the west coat of florida not the east for your truck!
Bought the 3850D today...wondering how you are liking yours?
Pauly and Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:01 AM   #5

We traded in the GMC 2500 HD 6.6 bed 4x4 Z71 Diesel SLT for a GMC 3500 HD Denali 4x4 Diesel Dually 8 ft bed. First the longer bed and no Z71 made the rider smoother and less bumpy on speed bumps. The extra lengthy bed adds a lot of convienence. Also not having a Leer cap on the bed adds more options. The Denali option had the nav package and it is better than the one that came in the new body 2007 so I do not need to rip it out and replace it with a Pioneer super nav and stereo system. There is this thing with the urea but I here it needs to be added only at 5k miles. So when we travel to Alaska I will have to pack it away for the trip. We have only pulled the Trilogy once and that is back from the dealer. Flat good interstate. Maintained 63 mph no problem, you can feel the extra security of the dually. From 0 it does take more umph to get up and go as the the other setup was pulling an Airstream 31 at maybe 9k and now we have maybe 17k plus. Mileage is 9.5 to 10.5 but it is a brand new truck.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #6

Congrats! Can't wait to take delivery of ours!
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Congrats! Can't wait to take delivery of ours!
We are in our 2012 Trilogy 3850D right now in Pismo Beach...we couldn't be happier with her!
Pauly and Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #8

Congrats on your 2013 Dynamx Trilogy 3850 and welcome to the forum.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
Working the Life

Also just bought a new 2013 3800 D3, on Saturday. Upgraded from a 2006 Grand Junction 37QSL.
We have been looking at these units and comparing them against others for about a year now and finally decided to go with the Trilogy, although we found very little info on these units regarding the insulation values. Can anyone shed some light on the issue?
As we live in Alberta Canada, the early and late sides of the season can be a bit on the cool side and having a unit that is well insulated is important. I generally use it to live in when away for work and hope to be able to use it earlier in the spring and later in the fall with out the worry of it being uncomfortable.
If anyone has some experience on this I would appreciate your feed back.

Thanks
KD
KD Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #10

Insulation values

Congrats on your new Trilogy. We have had our 3850 since the end of August 012. I can not answer your question as I have found in my research much disagreement on how to measure the actual effects of the added types of insulation in regards to the shape and configuration of the unit. Much discussion can be found in AirForums which deals with Airstreams. They have been around for a long time and the methods employed by these veterans can seem extreme when confronting extreme weather conditions. The Trilogy is marketed as a residential Fifth wheeler. What did the salespeople tell you? Being in Alberta that's Extreme, nu? I do know we tested the Amish fireplace, the heat exchanger in the AC salon unit, the furnace and a small catalytic heater we bought for the master. Not all running at the same time, some by themselves. the temp was in the low 4os and high 30s. we also circulate air with the ceiling fans. Obviously drapes closed. The hot air rises our daughter slept on the fold out.My impression at the moment is that we felt no cold drafts or dead areas. We live in So Fl. S the coldest we ever camped was Xmas 2 years ago in the Airstream was 26 in the morning. condensation gets to be a problem. Maybe you had a great Salesman, send him down here we can use him to sell our brokerage yachts!
Old 02-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
Working the Life

Thanks for your reply.
We were actually hooked on the Trilogy the first time we looked at one on our vacation last summer while in Montana and have been waiting to find one at a dealer here in Alberta. When we attended the Calgary RV show a few weeks back we noticed one of the dealers was carrying the Trilogy line but only had a 3650 RE at the show. Most of our info had come from the Dealer in Montana as well as the Trilogy brochure.
I agree with you completely that the info out there regarding insulation values is rather misleading and not very accurate based on standard insulation product R values. However as informed consumers we can quickly sort out the wheat from the chaff and make our own informed decisions. I was primarily looking for feed back from those who own a Trilogy as to what their experiences have been regarding the units during cooler or hotter periods. It seems everyone forgets that we need insulation to keep the heat out as well as to keep it in.
We pick up our unit at the end of March (once the snow is all gone) and would like to know if anyone has found anything that needs to be addresses by the dealer before we take delivery?

KD
Old 05-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #12

KD, check the connections for black water flush system because DH added a clamp to ours but it still leaks. Be sure to have a bungee that fits from two side cabinets
across desk drawer as it opens while traveling. Be sure to get a strong bungee
Cord for refrigerator door. The come open every time we travel and we've had quite a mess. Be sure you understand how to fill basement propane tank. Remember that outside security light is controlled by remote. Took us two days to figure that one out. Also bungee pot drawer handle to other drawers or it will open.
We never had these issues with stuff coming open in our Big Country, but it
didn't have a residential fridge!
WestWardHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #13
Working the Life

Trilogy

Thanks for the input WestWardHo.
I have noticed that a large number of the Drawer Latches are broken where the Screw fastens them.
I didn't have any issues with my Fridge Door but then I didn't have the fridge loaded either.
Traveled 1800 kms over some very rough highway to get to where I am and very little movement of anything in the unit except that both of the Sink covers ended up on the floor. Thankfully no damaged to them or anything else. Going home they will be put away somewhere they wont move, Stove covers too.
Our unit didn't come with the Linc System so we don't have the issues you have experienced.
The Hydraulic Levelling system has not maintained level and I have had to re-level twice since my arrival. Bedroom Slide kept creeping in as well but that has now stopped.
So far I am very happy with the unit and would recommend it to others.

KD

Old 05-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #14

KD,

Thanks for your post. You're right to point out how happy you are with your unit. We had an excellent experience with Jack Armstrong, head of customer service at Trilogy. He called first thing this morning because I had left a frustrated voicemail message for Michael Babcock yesterday. He explained they are really working to build a brand and how could he help? There are some minor warranty issues and he told DH where they could be taken care of near our stay in Oregon. He also explained that the refrigerator comes with a lock that wasn't supplied by the dealer so he is shipping a lock to our location and will send a new freezer door to the dealer to replace our that kept coming open.

We, too, love our 3650 RL, almost got your size but thought it might restrict us from some parks.

Wishing you safe travels and contact Mr. Armstrong for any help needed.

BTW, Do you also post on RVhyphenDreams.com? Thought I saw you there. If not check it out, it has a great friendly, helpful forum.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #15
Working the Life

WestWardHo
Thanks for the info about the Fridge door Lock. I'll contact Michael Babcock to get one sent out before I too need a new door. In the mean time I'll be sure to keep the door tied to prevent possible damage.
I'm having some issues with my Auto Level system in that it wont hold it's position. Are you having any issues with yours?
We bought the 3800D3 in order to get the split bathroom and the walk in shower. We found the combined bath too cramped for our liking.
Found the floor in front of the closet is loose and will need to be addressed. The creaking is aggravating.

KD

Old 05-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #16

KD, look for a hole near the top if the fridge between the two doors, if there you need the lock. Until then bungee tightly and open carefully. No problems with our auto-leveling but if you call and use directory to start typing Jack it'll pull up his extension. If he doesn't know the answer he goes out to the floor to find out and calls you right back. We don't have floor problem either. Remember to tie the desk close also. It opens during transit.
We thought hard about your unit and almost bought one but also thought we would be too near the limit on our tow vehicle and so we opted for this one. You're right about the bath. We had a split bath in our Big Country and loved it.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:50 PM   #17

Hey I have a question about your washer and dryer. Is it a stack or a combination? I want a stack washer/dryer but not sure what's Intel in in stalling it? If you give me info I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
camperone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:28 PM   #18

The 2012 model not enough room for stackable, ours is a 2013 and a Splendide stackable models worked fine. a closet bar was repositioned.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:08 AM   #19

KD Nolte....I too found very little information regarding R values or tank configurations or electrical diagrams...stuff you need to get stuff done.

I did get an email from Trilogy about insulation. They don't report R values, per se, but they did give me a report on the testing they did in cold and hot environments.

My experience in Central Indiana and states between Indiana and California in the spring is that the Trilogy will need help in really hot climates and help with really cold climates.

What I mean by that is...in hot climates, one may have to open the vents on the a/c to help with the ducted air. And the air will still move through the ducts....but we get much better cooling in the living area with at least one vent open on the a/c.

In cold climates, you'll probably need to supplement with the fireplace heat or additional heating. No concerns with tanks freezing because of the heating pads.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:11 AM   #20

I put the heat/cold test file in the documents section. It's waiting for moderator permission. PM me if you can't download it later on.