Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
Tom & Gayle

Hydraulic problem update 3650 RL

Last week we were back on the road to Florida after our wheel bearing problem. We spent the night at the Fam camp at Maxwell AFB in Al. At the campground I dropped the front stabilizers to take a slight load off of the truck and lowered the other stabilizers to just touching the ground to stabilize the coach, and opened the slides since the pad we were on was fairly level. All worked well. In the morning when we got ready to leave when we went to close the slides nothing happened. Only the bedroom slide worked which is all electric driven. I then tried to raise the jacks an they too did not work. After scratching my head for a few minutes I called the lippert support number.. A technician worked with me over the phone to troubleshoot the problem. I always carry an electrical test meter with me so she had me check the DC voltage at the hydraulic motor wile Gayle pushed the slide button. The voltage across the motor leads were 13.7 volts which is normal. This indicated the motor had failed to run. She then started to walk me through the manual hydraulic operation to close the slides and raise the jacks. The problem is I needed a 5 3/2 Allen wrench to open the hydraulic valves manually and an electric drill to run the motor manually through an access at the end of the motor housing using a 1/4 hex bit. She then informed me that she cold not help me further until I obtained the tools. Mind you at this point I cannot get the truck unhooked from the unit. She also informed me that lippert does not provide coverage for a mobile mechanic even though our unit is under warranty.. I then called John Armstrong at Dynamax. John was very kind and said he would reimburse me for a mobile mechanic and proceeded to find one for us locally. A short time later I hit the slide button again and walla!! It worked.. I quickly pulled in the slides and raised the jackets and hit the road. And called John to cancel the mechanic..
When we were on the road Gayle contacted lippert by email. When we got to our destination in Florida I went to lower the front jacks to unhook the trilogy from the truck and again, nothing worked. Motor not running.. I then called Dynamax again to realize they were now closed for the day. Just about the time I was ready to just call it a day I got a call from the chief customer service technician (Brad) at lippert components. He apologized for our problems and then informed me they would cover a mobile mechanic in those conditions. But then he ask if I could try on thing first.. He ask me to hit the motor with a hammer while Gayle pushed the slide button. After the third or forth hit the motor started working. It worked through operating the jacks. When I got ready to extend the slides I had to beat on it again.. Brad shipped us a new hydraulic motor the next day and hired a local mobile mechanic to replace it.. All fixed now. I got to keep the old motor. When I disassembled it I found grease on the armature and brushes. I cleaned it up and it worked. I will keep this one for a spare. The motor has only two bolts to mount plus two electrical wires. A ten minute change . I hope this post was informative to everyone. Lippert came through again. On lipperts website lci1.com on the customer service page they have multiple videos on how to on their products.. There is a video there on manually overriding and operating the hydraulic slides and jacks. It is a little different system but you can get the general idea the main thing is figuring out which solenoid works which component. We still love our Trilogy.
Tomngayle
Tomngayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #2

Wow, customer service does exist!! You've renewed my faith in the RV industry. And like they always say, if it doesn't work... get a bigger hammer!
Rancho RS9000XL's and Firestone airbags
Pullrite Superglide 18k hitch
alphadog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #3

TomnGayle,
Thanks for the good report on Lippert. Not sure if it was an earlier thread of yours or someone else's that told us how awesome Lippert Customer Service is but the also came thru for us on another issue. Just FYI

Sherry
WestWardHo is offline   Reply With Quote