Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2016, 10:50 PM   #1

Inverter powered receptacles in 2015 38Rl Trilogy.

I know that the inverter powers the plug at the Refrigerator while traveling, the book hints at anither plug as well, does anyone know about the receptacle in the basement? I am looking to power a small compressor for emergency use. It is rated for 8 amps running.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:53 AM   #2

Our inverter powers the fridge and entertainment center only as far as I know.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
retamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:30 AM   #3

retamaman, same here. fridge, microwave and entertainment center.

2014 Dynamax Trilogy 37BH
2015 Ram 3500 DRW
Old 12-27-2016, 03:01 PM   #4

Depending on the inverter size, you could always add another few circuits to the inverter.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #5

A trick I learned on the forum that is serving me very well when dry camping goes like this.
1. Turn off your converter
2. Plug in your shore power to the receptacle you normally use at a campground.
3. Use a 50-15A adapter and plug it into the inverter.
This puts 15A to the RV and powers the outlets and appliances. I've been doing it quite a bit with no difficulties. You just need to carefully manage your loads.
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #6

My Trilogy inverter only runs the Fridge and TV area. Microwave goes dead when power is removed (not sure why but probably wiring issue). If you need to run your compressor while on the road, plug it into an outlet in the entertainment area. I have a generator so I just use that, if needed, while traveling.

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hagen View Post
My Trilogy inverter only runs the Fridge and TV area. Microwave goes dead when power is removed (not sure why but probably wiring issue). If you need to run your compressor while on the road, plug it into an outlet in the entertainment area. I have a generator so I just use that, if needed, while traveling.

John

Your inverter is likely too small to run the micro.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:27 PM   #8

The inverter can handle it. The power is not on the circuit for the microwave, but it is supposed to be. I have the 3 CB junction box with the Fridge, Entertainment, and Microwave. Supposed to work. Don't really need it while traveling, but will look into why it doesn't have power.

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Old 01-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #9

Inverter powered receptacles in 2015 38Rl Trilogy.

John, your CB arrangement is probably like mine. I have a CB for fridge, microwave and entertainment but the microwave CB is in series with the entertainment breaker. I MUST have the microwave breaker on for the entertainment breaker to work. Seems stupid to me and the only reason I can come up with for this that Dynamax really only wanted to provide two inverter circuits, but they also wanted folks to be able to disconnect power to the entertainment area to protect that equipment from power fluctuations if needed/desired while the microwave runs--especially if on low battery.

2015 Ram 3500 DRW
Old 01-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #10

From what I can tell, you have an 1800 watt inverter. This will power the fridge and the TV with no problem, but I would be surprised if it could handle the microwave at the same time. You could plug the compressor into the TV outlet as others have suggested, but the starting current for the compressor at the same time as the fridge is right at the upper limit, although it probably has something like a 2500 watt surge capability.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu Bill View Post
A trick I learned on the forum that is serving me very well when dry camping goes like this.
1. Turn off your converter
2. Plug in your shore power to the receptacle you normally use at a campground.
3. Use a 50-15A adapter and plug it into the inverter.
This puts 15A to the RV and powers the outlets and appliances. I've been doing it quite a bit with no difficulties. You just need to carefully manage your loads.
Stupid question, how do you turn off the converter?
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:09 PM   #12

Sometimes it is plugged into an outlet, if not, there should be a separate breaker labelled converter.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoodrg View Post
John, your CB arrangement is probably like mine. I have a CB for fridge, microwave and entertainment but the microwave CB is in series with the entertainment breaker. I MUST have the microwave breaker on for the entertainment breaker to work. Seems stupid to me and the only reason I can come up with for this that Dynamax really only wanted to provide two inverter circuits, but they also wanted folks to be able to disconnect power to the entertainment area to protect that equipment from power fluctuations if needed/desired while the microwave runs--especially if on low battery.

2015 Ram 3500 DRW
I leave all three CBs on when traveling. Yet, the micro powers down and always have to set the clock when hooking up to shore power. Not a big deal, just seems like it should work, but it doesn't hold power.

John
Old 01-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hagen View Post
I leave all three CBs on when traveling. Yet, the micro powers down and always have to set the clock when hooking up to shore power. Not a big deal, just seems like it should work, but it doesn't hold power.

John

There can be a slight delay, switching from shore to inverter.

Also, depending on brand..
my magnum looks for 5 watts draw before it turns on.

Tags
inverter, power