Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2016, 05:07 PM   #1

Jiggling on Jacks

We're settled in on our spot for the winter. Auto level worked fine. .....but.

We're constantly 'jiggling' as if we're sitting on the tires. Not sure if it's the jacks moving/flexing or if level is to low.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #2

Do you have "chocks" on the tires? Have you tried re-leveling?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
retamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:46 PM   #3

We have chocks tucked in tight. Have releveled 4 times. Have manually run jacks to 'tighten' but it doesn't seem to set. I'm thinking my expectation is too high. We're not exactly swaying too and fro.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua40j View Post
We're settled in on our spot for the winter. Auto level worked fine. .....but.

We're constantly 'jiggling' as if we're sitting on the tires. Not sure if it's the jacks moving/flexing or if level is to low.

Any thoughts?

We have reduced some of the movement in our 2013 Trilogy 3650 RL by shortening the jack ram length with block under all 6, X-chocks both sides and 4 jack stands, two behind front jacks and two behind the rear tires. Seems to have helped, but still have some movement.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:35 PM   #5

Did you find the x-chocks to be effective at removing some of the jiggling? I would imagine that the most effective change was the addition of the jack stands.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Did you find the x-chocks to be effective at removing some of the jiggling? I would imagine that the most effective change was the addition of the jack stands.

The jack stands did provide the most support, but keep in mind, you will likely never take out all the movement and it is easy to become obsessed with its elimination.

We use ours as a seasonal and found a side benefit of the inexpensive Ultra Stacker Jacks, in that that they will help guard against the trailer from going off balance over time.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #7

Yes, I can sense the obsession starting. Had it with our last rig, a motorhome. But it gives me something to do.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Yes, I can sense the obsession starting. Had it with our last rig, a motorhome. But it gives me something to do.

It is a dangerous obsession with no support groups in which to turn too…LOL
Another thought I had when camping over Christmas, was how much of the movement is in the slide v the entire trailer itself? When sitting in the recliner and wife was up front, movement really felt like it was somewhat limited to slide.If that is the case, we have no plans to add slide jack supports.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:07 AM   #9

Most of what we're experiencing in the rig is when sitting in the rear living area. It's independent of slide or coach.

Walking to the front closet area/bedroom is ok....with some of those popping noises, but not much movement.

Those stackables are inexpensive when looking at the length of time we'll be snowbirding. And we don't move locations around too much.

One opinion I keep coming to is how fragile those rear jacks look when extended. I realize they hold a bunch of weight....but their appearance when extended doesn't translate into 'strength'.

Low trust factor, I guess.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Most of what we're experiencing in the rig is when sitting in the rear living area. It's independent of slide or coach.

Walking to the front closet area/bedroom is ok....with some of those popping noises, but not much movement.

Those stackables are inexpensive when looking at the length of time we'll be snowbirding. And we don't move locations around too much.

One opinion I keep coming to is how fragile those rear jacks look when extended. I realize they hold a bunch of weight....but their appearance when extended doesn't translate into 'strength'.

Low trust factor, I guess.
Agreed, and shortening the jack rams extension will help with movement. Because we don't move ours, we are using cement, if we were traveling 4x4 or 6x6 wood.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:18 AM   #11

This unit has 13-14 Jacks under it and they were having MORE Installed! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4645.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	97414   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4646.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	97415  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:21 AM   #12

Wow.......
Old 01-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #13

And a new support group has been born “RV Obsession with Stabilization Anonymous” (RVOSA).
Old 01-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #14

Some people just don't get they bought an RV and it will not be just like their stick house. I'd loose those jacks under the slides in a heartbeat ... any major settling or say a tire looses pressure ... trouble follows.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:40 AM   #15

Going to get me a 'Founding Member of RVOSA' teeshirt.........

Agreed....those jacks under the slides with what appears to be sand/gravel for a base is an invitation for damage to the slides. Hope they are settled.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #16

[QUOTE=ua40j;1073345]Going to get me a 'Founding Member of RVOSA' teeshirt.........

Should be pronounced like Mimosa….RV’OSA.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
This unit has 13-14 Jacks under it and they were having MORE Installed! Youroo!!
I just could Not help myself when I saw all the Jacks,I told him he should also add jack supports under his Steps because of the Leverage caused by 3 steps Rocking the RV when Entering the Door! Guess what he added! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:12 PM   #18

Sad. ....but funny, too.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #19

I like those stabilizer arms that attach to the frame at one end and to the base of the stabilizer jack (screw type scissor jacks). They deploy easily by loosening one bolt and retighten when jacks are extended. I only use one per jack but if you are truly obsessed you can add two per jack. For my trailers just one per jack on two of my 4 jacks makes a heck of a difference with stability and makes a lot more sense engineering wise and is simple to use. I also use an x jack between the wheels, especially for the side that is up on leveling blocks. wheel blocks don't work as well for wheels that are up in the air and it kind of locks that axle from rocking back and forth (but it does not keep the trailer from bouncing up and down on the springs.). So unless you set your trailer in concrete up to the rails there will always be some movement. FYI, I found the stabilizing arms on ebay cheaper than retailers....Good luck and have fun....Walt
dont tread on me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:22 AM   #20

We shorten the length of the ram Jacks by using blocks of wood and then put 2 jack stands at the rear of the trailer. Barely any movement.
Thumper7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks