Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2017, 01:04 PM   #1

Leaving Forum

It is with sadness that we will no longer be posters of this forum. On July 6, we had a blowout on the highway. The blowout did no damage to the outer walls of the Trilogy but destroyed the underbody. It broke the axle and bent the frame to the point of actually bending the frame on the opposite side from the blowout. It took the insurance company 3 weeks to decide the Trilogy was a total loss. Now we sit and wait for them to okay our next purchase (we had current year cost replacement insurance).

We hope they will approve the Cedar Creek Champagne 38EL as it comes closest to the Trilogy. I will miss the Tecma toilet, the huge outside storage, and the massive amounts of inside cabinets. Haven't found another fiver with ice and water in the refrigerator door and the full body paint is super expensive. You can see we loved our Trilogy and only had a few problems in the four years we full timed in it.

Wish us luck on getting the Champagne.
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:28 PM   #2

But you don't have to leave if you don't want to. You do not have to own a FR product to be on here from what I understand.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:32 PM   #3

Well I'm sure those of us who still own Trilogy's are concerned about our future travels. Especially when we are just starting out FTing with our2013z which we bought new in 2013. We have travel a couple of time to Florida but that's it and we have had 7 different breakdowns this year alone. So we're not so happy and your post doesn't help us want to keep it. I agree with you on the features of the Trilogy's but I think the actual replacement of this is the new RiverStone. That's what we're going to look at this this week.
Good luck with you new purchase, I'm sure everything will work out the way it's suppose to. I I insured ours for what we paid, just in case something like this happened.
Clear Skies and Safe Travels. [emoji41]
phil falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:32 PM   #4

I think the OP means he's leaving the Dynamax forum. Cedar Creek is a Forest River product to with a subforum here.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:23 PM   #5

Phil Falls - Wow. Sorry you have had so many breakdowns.

We have heard of a lot of failures for the Trilogy. Fortunately, we had very few problems. Biggest was a little bracket that broke and allowed the slide mechanism to go through the side wall. Our insurance paid over $5000 for that break. Otherwise we went along smoothly. Hated the water pump being at the back - had to have so much protection in the winter. Otherwise, the Trilogy was a great RV for us to fulltime in.

The Riverstone is a great looking RV but has two items that lead us to the Champagne. The Riverstone is heavy; we decided to go lighter after the heavy Trilogy. More importantly, our fantastic dealer, Moix RV, does not carry the Riverstone. We have been with them through five trailers of different types and will buy this sixth one through them - unless the insurance company forces us to buy from elsewhere.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:40 PM   #6

It appears that their Trilogy was...for the most part...a very reliable MH. The cause of all this....TIRES ! Semi trucks run for 100's of 1000's of miles...usually without incident, but the tires they are putting on MH's...well let's just say...they leave a lot to be desired. It's a shame that a thing like...a STUPID TIRE ! took out your entire vehicle.
Good luck on your next purchase hope to hear from you soon.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:10 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

Wow, that is one hell of a blow out... Jeez, just be glad you seem to be all okay I would first think. Good luck on the camper.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:00 PM   #8

Yep. All that over a tire. We had just left a rest area and were therefore not up to normal speed. I was told if I had been going faster, we would have probably been injured or worse and possibly taken out other vehicles. We are thankful that there were no injuries to us or anyone else. I will continue to post here until the end comes of what our insurance does. The company will be paying off the balance on the Trilogy next week and will then tell us what we can get as a replacement fiver.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:32 PM   #9

By all means, stay with us here. We are happy you are here!
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:57 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Please stay and share your knowledge with other trilogy owners. You can still help them. And yes you will still be a forest river owner so please stay with us. As others have stayed, you do not have to own a FR product to be on the forums.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:42 PM   #11

Glad you were able to walk away from the incident, a tire failure like this is always my greatest worry.
We owned a 2014 Trilogy 3650RL until a month ago and were quite happy with it, the only major breakdown was last year when the MorRyde IS failed.
We moved into the Riverstone because it gives us more living space and the tight squeeze around the queen sized bed was starting to get old.
Btw., the insulation in the Riverstone is amazing, unlike anything we have seen in the past, but it adds to the weight.
Please stay on the forum and continue sharing your knowledge.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:29 AM   #12

How did your IS system fail? I have one and am on my way to Alaska
gauchoverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchoverde View Post
How did your IS system fail? I have one and am on my way to Alaska
One of the rubber blocks separated from the steel plate. I noticed the trailer leaning slightly when looking through the rear view mirrors, I think it may have had to do with the fact that the entertainment center, the kitchen and our complete battery bank were on the driver side of the coach, and the condition of the road of course, we never traveled over weight but I never checked the corner weights either - who knows.
The Riverstone has 8k Dexter axles with their EZ-Flex system but I find the ride is even smoother than it was with the MorRyde IS. We'll be going back to Northern BC in a couple of weeks and then we'll find out how it really compares.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
It appears that their Trilogy was...for the most part...a very reliable MH. The cause of all this....TIRES ! Semi trucks run for 100's of 1000's of miles...usually without incident, but the tires they are putting on MH's...well let's just say...they leave a lot to be desired. It's a shame that a thing like...a STUPID TIRE ! took out your entire vehicle.
The Trilogy is a 5th wheel! Youroo!!
Old 08-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #15

Remember the Champagne is a Cedar Creek product so still a Forest River product.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #16

Quote:
It appears that their Trilogy was...for the most part...a very reliable MH.
Um..a 5er Actually

The cause of all this....TIRES ! Semi trucks run for 100's of 1000's of miles...usually without incident, but the tires they are putting on MH's...well let's just say...they leave a lot to be desired.[/QUOTE]

Really? We have Michelin XZA2 275/80R22.5 14 ply radial tires, 7 year 100+K Lifespan.

We are happy with the tires on our XLT and, we believe that Forest River uses Michelin tires across their DP line and Goodyear tires across their Gas MH line.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:45 AM   #17

As far as a heavy trailer like the trilogy, I would use tires that have steel side walls. The only two that I am aware of are Goodyear and Sailun.
gauchoverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:14 AM   #18

Quote:

Semi trucks run recaps on the trailer they are pulling. But the trailers they are pulling is all metal, they have blowouts that's why you see all the gator hides on the road. When a trucking company buys a new trailer they take off the new trailer tires and install recaps. Most people would say the G614 that I run on my camper is overkill for such a light trailer but I have had no problems with campers tires and I have more than 40,000 miles on and at speeds of 75 sometimes. Most times 65
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:59 PM   #19

Check out the Riverstone and Riverstone Legacy 5er's ... they are built more for the full timer and seem to be well constructed. New line, so I would think the production line is not overloaded so quality should be high. Great features, 3" wall thickness, great insulation package, H rated tires, etc. etc. Awesome units!
2014 Ford F350 CC LB FX4 6.7LPSD 3:55 E-Locker
Bellville, Texas
Austin County "Colonial Capital of Texas"
CMelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:43 PM   #20

Following up on our incident July 6: Last week National Interstate Insurance finally completed our claim by paying for our chosen 5er - a CC Champagne 38EL. (We had cost replacement ins) The Trilogy had features not seen on other fifth wheels (a fiberglass roof, Tecma toilet and on and on) but the Champagne is a close second. It has a 60" TV in the LR, and two 40" TVs. It has three 15,000 BTU ACs with a power management system. There is an induction cooktop, dishwasher, 20 cf refrigerator with ice and water, 8000 lb axles, 17.5 H tires, washer and dryer, power theater seats, fireplace with hidden storage behind it and so much more. We love it.

I will continue to follow the Trilogy forum. As a matter of fact, I have a question that I will post separately.

Safe travels to all of you Dynamax Trilogy owners. What a beautiful fifth wheel.