Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
Tom & Gayle

We are sitting in Columbus Ohio in a hotel. Our new Trilogy with less than 3000 miles had wheel bearings disintegrate welding parts to the axle and covered the brakes with grease. This is trip 3 for corrections and repairs since buying in July. Most of those previous corrections were minor and taken care of promptly. We need to say first this axle problem isn't only with Trilogy. We understand lippert provides most of the Rv industry and many brands have had issues. Our goal was to get back to Florida for some very important dr appointments. These appointments can not be missed however they will be. We have been very patient but this time we are frustrated. The forest river road side assistance was amazing and we received a call from John Armstrong immediately. We are in a hotel at their expense. However we now hear these axles need to be manufactured in order to be shipped. The earliest it will ship is Oct 23. The apps were scheduled to start Oct 22. John Armstrong is trying to see what he can do but pretty much it is what it is. So we will try to unload the Rv and drive the 140 miles back home to wait and pray the delay in dr visits doesn't bring consequences. Had we known this Lippert issue we wouldn't have purchased an Rv with Lippert parts.
Had we not stopped 2 hours into our trip and noticed the wheel sitting crooked this could have had a catastrophic result. We had no indication anything was happening. Please check frequently. Lives could be in danger due to these problems.
A great big thank you to Forest River Roadside Assistance and John Armstrong for speedy help
Tomngayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #2

Lippert makes most of the parts on most RVS. Most of them are fine. Apparently it's a very different story with their axles.

It's my belief that Dexter makes most of the axles on RVs and I suspect that those who decided to give Lippert axles a try will be back with Dexter rather quickly.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #3

A lot of Columbus owners are having the same problem
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Tom & Gayle

When we were at the factory a couple of months ago a couple of people were being scheduled for repairs at Lippert. Upon researching this it appears this us a common problem with Lippert axles. Apparently some of the issues are caused by a low quality grease Lippert us using. We just learned it could be a 2week delay to be back on the road. Lippert is trying to get it to Columbus by Monday due to our health concerns. We are fortunate to be only 140 miles from home so we will likely go back to wait. In the meantime hubby asked the dealer to please check the other wheels. I agree it would be a good idea for the manufacturers to go to a better axle.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
Site Team

As iceblaze580 pointed out, It sounds like the same thing going on in this forum, I read this morning:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...bus-47709.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #6

Do yourself a favor have the dealer pull all four wheels and drums
Old 10-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
Tom & Gayle

Thank you Icebkaze580. We did ask the dealer to check the others and to re grease them
Old 10-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #8

Mine were a mess still waiting for it to be done
Old 10-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
Tom & Gayle

Searching for that announcement on Lippert fb page to comment on
Old 10-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Lippert makes most of the parts on most RVS. Most of them are fine. Apparently it's a very different story with their axles.

It's my belief that Dexter makes most of the axles on RVs and I suspect that those who decided to give Lippert axles a try will be back with Dexter rather quickly.
Barry you are correct FR switched to Dexter on lippert frames, but from what I found out they are really the same Company now. So either way lippert is still holding the responsibility. I have been told by the factory that all the new units are coming out with the dexter axle. But you know how that go's, It is really nobody's fault.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #11

What about FR anything out of them yet ....
captain rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #12
Tom & Gayle

Lippert Customer Service facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lippe...14578065223043
Old 10-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #13
Tom & Gayle

Captain Rene. When we call FR assistance they sent us to John at Dynamax
Old 10-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #14

Grease

Please explain to me about the grease being used and what will work better for our crusader 270ret..thanks
dallas, ga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomngayle View Post
when we were at the factory a couple of months ago a couple of people were being scheduled for repairs at lippert. Upon researching this it appears this us a common problem with lippert axles. Apparently some of the issues are caused by a low quality grease lippert us using. We just learned it could be a 2week delay to be back on the road. Lippert is trying to get it to columbus by monday due to our health concerns. We are fortunate to be only 140 miles from home so we will likely go back to wait. In the meantime hubby asked the dealer to please check the other wheels. I agree it would be a good idea for the manufacturers to go to a better axle.
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Please explain to me about the grease being used and what will work better for our crusader 270ret..thanks dallas, ga.
I'm quite sure that your Crusader has Dexter axles. You should be using the grease spec'd in the Dexter Axle manual (our Library or the Dexter website).
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #16

Lippett axles

Know for sure that ours are Lippetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
I'm quite sure that your Crusader has Dexter axles. You should be using the grease spec'd in the Dexter Axle manual (our Library or the Dexter website).
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #17

First thing anyone should do is repack/grease your bearings and check air pressure before leaving the dealer after purchase.
I did this after my last purchase and found three of the four Lippert axle/bearings dry and one of the four tires under inflated by 30#.
Do not trust your dealer or the factory to do this for you. Take a grease gun and good quality air guage with you when you pick up your unit. Most units now come with bearing buddys and are easy to grease. Do not spare the grease. If not insist the dealer pull the wheels and pack them pryior to delivery.
I have had numerous trailers through the years and have learned this from experiance. (bad experiance)

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #18
Tom & Gayle

We posted a comment on Lippert customer service facebook page. We are getting results to get us on the road tomorrow. Stay tuned to hear how it works out
Old 10-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #19
Carknocker Family

"First thing anyone should do is repack/grease your bearings and check air pressure before leaving the dealer after purchase."

x2

I checked my bearings after hearing about all the failures that the Lippert frames were having. All four hubs either dry or nearly dry of grease. Used a tube and a half on four hubs! Set up for failure, one didnt even have a grease zirc on it. Wounder how it was ever greased.

Sorry for your trouble and I hope that they get you repaired quickly!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	missing cotter key.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	41282  
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #20
Tom & Gayle

We got back on the road yesterday. Going to pull out the computer to do an update on the problem and what we learned from the mechanic