Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #1

Maiden voyage with 2014 36re

We are off on our first trip with our 36RE after spending the last 2 months making it our own. We drove 1100 miles without any mishaps and will be spending a week at arrowhead resort at Wisconsin dell. I was a little cautious about dragging the front jacks since they seem to be close to the ground. What is a safe clearance when towing?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forest River Forums mobile app
gauchoverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchoverde View Post
We are off on our first trip with our 36RE after spending the last 2 months making it our own. We drove 1100 miles without any mishaps and will be spending a week at arrowhead resort at Wisconsin dell. I was a little cautious about dragging the front jacks since they seem to be close to the ground. What is a safe clearance when towing?

If your front jacks are retracted all the way, which should be the case with your 6 way level up system, there is likely no way to bottom out the front jacks. If you do, a lot of other damage will have occurred to the bottom of your rig. When full retracted, they are basically flush with the frame…not sure I am fully understanding your concern. If they are not flush, you can do it by switching to manual…and will possibly require a recalibration of your level up system to correct the problem.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:07 AM   #3

Have fun on your maiden voyage. Looks like the weather will be nice!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #4

I measure 8 inches below the frame when the level up jacks are fully retracted. That gives me about 6 inches of ground clearance. It have already lowered the pin box one set of bolt holes. There is not a height adjustment on my 5th wheel hitch but I believe I can get a spacer for it. Another option is to put airbags on to raise the truck bed some though it appears to be level.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #5

Quote:
I measure 8 inches below the frame when the level up jacks are fully retracted. That gives me about 6 inches of ground clearance. It have already lowered the pin box one set of bolt holes. There is not a height adjustment on my 5th wheel hitch but I believe I can get a spacer for it. Another option is to put airbags on to raise the truck bed some though it appears to be level.

I will be putting my 3650 RL on my truck tomorrow morning, not sure, but don’t think that mine go down 8 inches, below the frame. I will get back with you.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:55 PM   #6

Hi Igray. Did you have a chance to make sone measurements when you hooked up to your truck?

Old 05-27-2014, 06:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Hi Igray. Did you have a chance to make sone measurements when you hooked up to your truck?

I apologize, completely forgot, as I was caught up in problems with my level up not leveling in the font. The roadside, front only, is two inches lower than my curbside. However, that being said, attached is a picture of my rig. I can tell you that the feet of the landing gear are flush to the trailer. From these blocks, I have to raise mine several inches to get it on my Silverado 2500. While on the blocks as in this picture, my low is at almost 20 inches. I then raise to put on the hitch several more inches. I would think that there is more than 20 inches of clearance, which is plenty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Landing Gear.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	53429  
Old 05-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #8

Thanks. Are you saying that when mounted on your truck and fully retracted there is 20 inches of clearance between the pad and the ground?

Old 05-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #9

From the picture it looks like your levelup cylinders extend below the frame the same as mine.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:36 AM   #10

Here is a photo of ours, it sits level almost identical to the position when hooked up to the truck plus the jacks are on 3" pads. We have the upgraded axle and 17.5" tires which might affect the ride height.
I apologize for the poor picture quality, cell phone facing the sun.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trilogy at Cavan Lake.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	53449  
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks. Are you saying that when mounted on your truck and fully retracted there is 20 inches of clearance between the pad and the ground?

I am estimating based upon the following:

The feet are 3-4 inches below the bottom of the trailer

The bottom of the trailer as seen in my picture is is 20 inches from the ground

I have to raise my trailer several inches to get on my hitch

This is reliant on the towing vehicle having proper truck springs, suspension or airbags, and not allowed to sag, my simple math suggests that there would be 20 inches or more.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #12

Thanks for the info.

Tags