Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #1

Manual Adjustment to one Hydraulic Level Up Jack

Have any of the Trilogy Owners had any experience in manually adjusting just one hydraulic jack? As you can see in my picture, my front roadside jack is over two inches lower than curbside and cannot be corrected via the electronic system. Also attached is the diagram from Lippert’s site. Any guidance on the following would be helpful:
1. On my 2013 Trilogy 3650 RL, which landing gear diagram is for my system?
2. What type of equipment do I use on the port to extend my front roadside jack? Is this a pressure fitting if so, how much air pressure and type of fitting? If not, what type of equipment will I need?

My rig is at a seasonal site and need to be prepared when I get there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Landing Gear.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	54369  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Manual (3) Level Up.pdf (86.2 KB, 147 views)
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:11 PM   #2

We had a similar problem only ours got stuck in an elevated position (think high enough for a stepladder). We recently had the motor go out on the bedroom slide so we had a mobile mechanic at our site (we're also seasonals). Since he was there we asked him if he could help with our Level Ups before we got nosebleeds from the elevation. He messed with it a bit and scratched his head. After giving it some thought,hubby suggested he shut down the entire system (hard reboot if you will), wait a few minutes and then try again. Pushed the automatic level button and it worked like a charm. Not sure if we were just lucky or if that's what we were supposed to do.
sroarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #3

I looked at the attachment. If I were you, I would print a copy and take it to the camper. Look at each leg in the diagram and see if it matches the one on the camper. For instance, the "Steel Leveling Jack" shows 7 holes on each side of the jack in the diagram. Do your front jacks look like the one in the diagram? The aluminum one shows 14 holes on each side of the jack. Does it match? Same with the hydraulic plumbing. Just look and compare to what is installed and narrow it down.

Alternatively, look for a data plate on the jacks and get the part number and serial number. Then contact Lippert. I believe someone said John Armstrong is now working at Lippert. He would be the goto guy for information. Sorry, don't have his email.

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #4

We can stick a fork in this post. This odd issue is something that the shop needs to see and/or fix. Might be a pressure issue, but either way, there is no acccess in the jack that will allow a manual adjustment, to just one front jack.

Lippert and Matt at Trilogy have been great to work with and completely answered all my dumb questions.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #5

Is your trailer actually level? If the black painted part of your jacks is the same for both landing gear, the issue is with the rear jacks. The fluid will freely shift between the two front jacks as the left and right rear jacks operate. My trailer was delivered out of level -- nose down, left side down. I rezeroed the system and am happy with it.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #6

I also re-zeroed my levelup and have been happy with operstion since.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forest River Forums mobile app
gauchoverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narboza View Post
Is your trailer actually level? If the black painted part of your jacks is the same for both landing gear, the issue is with the rear jacks. The fluid will freely shift between the two front jacks as the left and right rear jacks operate. My trailer was delivered out of level -- nose down, left side down. I rezeroed the system and am happy with it.

Thanks again for the feedback. Bear with me on some clarification on Level Zero Point Calibration. I have pulled up the directions for this and from what I have read, you are pressing the front and rear buttons 10 times clearing out the former settings, then manually level with a carpenters level. If I am correct so far, not sure this will help. My problem is that the front roadside jack, is 2 inches lower than the curbside front. It is my understanding that the front landing gear are plumbed together and there is no way for me to correct the difference in the front manually, once the system is returned to Zero. Don’t get me wrong, I am willing to try anything…
Old 06-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #8

When I level ours, the front left leg goes down until it senses firm resistance, then the front right leg goes down until it senses resistance. Then when it does the autolevel thing I can see that the front left and right adjust independently.
If they were plumbed together and there was more weight on one side than the other it would slowly creep out of level. Also (I haven't had to do it yet) some folks say they can lift up one side and change a tire.
I hope I'm not totally wrong with my theory.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #9

I am totally baffled reg. the difference in height between the 2 front legs, that should definitely be corrected. I would say that either your selling dealer or Dynamax C/S should be able to fix it or at least walk you through the process. Changing the bolts is piece of cake but how it affects the auto level I don't know, but I would suspect that it has nothing to do with the position of the mounting plates.
If nobody was looking I would probably just mess around with it with the battery disconnect in one hand - just in case (you did not hear this from me).
Old 06-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
When I level ours, the front left leg goes down until it senses firm resistance, then the front right leg goes down until it senses resistance. Then when it does the autolevel thing I can see that the front left and right adjust independently.
If they were plumbed together and there was more weight on one side than the other it would slowly creep out of level. Also (I haven't had to do it yet) some folks say they can lift up one side and change a tire.
I hope I'm not totally wrong with my theory.
I have seen the same, independent movement, late in the auto level cycle. In fact it is the low side dropping down, independent of the curbside. That being said, I don’t see a way to correct the low side manually. The manual function for the front is plumbed together.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #11

Quote:
I am totally baffled reg. the difference in height between the 2 front legs, that should definitely be corrected. I would say that either your selling dealer or Dynamax C/S should be able to fix it or at least walk you through the process. Changing the bolts is piece of cake but how it affects the auto level I don't know, but I would suspect that it has nothing to do with the position of the mounting plates.
If nobody was looking I would probably just mess around with it with the battery disconnect in one hand - just in case (you did not hear this from me).

When the Lippert tech staff saw the pictures, their first thought was and still is, bad jack.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #12

Did they offer advice or a solution to the issue.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Did they offer advice or a solution to the issue.
Get it into a dealer...somewhat convinced by the picture it is a bad jack.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #14

It is possible the jack is mechanically binding or leaks internally during part of its stroke. If it is, your trailer should not be level in the front.

When I stated "the fluid will freely shift between the two front jacks" I meant that the tops of both jack hydraulic cylinders and the bottoms of both jack hydraulic cylinders are plumbed together. When you extend the front jacks to unhitch, the curb side jack moves first because it is usually right next to the pump and offers the least resistance to fluid movement. Once it grounds, the road side jack moves.

You cannot level the trailer side-to-side using the front jacks. The front/landing gear jacks only do fore/aft leveling. The rear jacks do the side-to-side leveling. The rear jacks on each side are connected together just like the front pair are so as the front extends and retracts, the fluid moves between the jacks on each side. If you look at the hydraulics, you will see three solenoid valves (four if you have hydraulic slides) that send fluid tot he three pairs of jacks. Everything is on one common return system. Orange hoses connect to the jack cylinder tops to extend. Black hoses connect to the jack cylinder bottoms to retract. If Lippert plumbed you differently you have other problems.

To troubleshoot, use a board to check that the tops of your blocks are in fact level. Check that the trailer is in fact level. I would try to level it without the blocks to see how the jack behaves. One of those two is probably off.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #15

[

To troubleshoot, use a board to check that the tops of your blocks are in fact level. Check that the trailer is in fact level. I would try to level it without the blocks to see how the jack behaves. One of those two is probably off.[/QUOTE]

The results are the same with and without blocks. I checked concrete for level and even moved the trailer on the pad, same results. The trailer is level side to side front to back, from the stairs to the back of the trailer...basically behind the first jacks and in front of the second set. Lippert tech, comments from picture was "bad jack, possibly pressure leak". Hope to find out on June 30th when I take it in. I am out of bullets.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:24 PM   #16

I received a call from my campground Thursday, letting me know that my roadside front jack had given way and recessed completely into the frame. They were afraid to go near it as it was leaning hard in that direction. Fortunately Niki at Lippert had already shipped a replacement jack that was waiting for me at the shop Friday morning. The shop informed me that there was a small hole in the line.
Everything was fine, until I took it back to the campground and hit auto level…same issue, roadside two inches lower in the front. For fun, I did try to jack the low side up with a bottle jack, unfortunately the way the system works, does not allow for that. When you bottle jack up, the trailer jack drops, and when you let it down, the trailer jack goes right back to where it was to begin with.
It all ended well, Mike Bloss with Lippert, called me late on Friday and walked me through the Zero Point leveling process, which solved the problem. I can’t say enough about the customer service from Matt at factory Niki and Mike Bloss at Lippert. Far beyond my expectations.
On the way back from Melbourne Beach, today, I spotted a Trilogy, headed south bound on I-95. I think brown in color and rear window would indicate an RL model.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #17

Any update on your jack issue?
gauchoverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
I received a call from my campground Thursday, letting me know that my roadside front jack had given way and recessed completely into the frame. They were afraid to go near it as it was leaning hard in that direction. Fortunately Niki at Lippert had already shipped a replacement jack that was waiting for me at the shop Friday morning. The shop informed me that there was a small hole in the line.
Everything was fine, until I took it back to the campground and hit auto level…same issue, roadside two inches lower in the front. For fun, I did try to jack the low side up with a bottle jack, unfortunately the way the system works, does not allow for that. When you bottle jack up, the trailer jack drops, and when you let it down, the trailer jack goes right back to where it was to begin with.
It all ended well, Mike Bloss with Lippert, called me late on Friday and walked me through the Zero Point leveling process, which solved the problem. I can’t say enough about the customer service from Matt at factory Niki and Mike Bloss at Lippert. Far beyond my expectations.
On the way back from Melbourne Beach, today, I spotted a Trilogy, headed south bound on I-95. I think brown in color and rear window would indicate an RL model.
No additional problems since my post on 6-14. We were there 6-27 through 7-5, very stable and still level.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #19
Working the Life

This might be a bit off topic but is partially related.
I have also had some issues with the levelling system. When I use the Auto Level it retracts all the hydraulic rams to their minimum position. On one occasion one of the from rams was completely off the ground. My hydraulic bedroom slide slowly creeps in at about a rate of 1 to 2 inches per day. When the dealer began working on it they found that system builds excess pressure (3900psi the hoses are only rated to 3000psi). When Lippert was contacted they advised the dealer that this was not an issue and did not require correction.
Has anyone else had issues similar to these?

KD Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD Nolte View Post
This might be a bit off topic but is partially related.
I have also had some issues with the levelling system. When I use the Auto Level it retracts all the hydraulic rams to their minimum position. On one occasion one of the from rams was completely off the ground. My hydraulic bedroom slide slowly creeps in at about a rate of 1 to 2 inches per day. When the dealer began working on it they found that system builds excess pressure (3900psi the hoses are only rated to 3000psi). When Lippert was contacted they advised the dealer that this was not an issue and did not require correction.
Has anyone else had issues similar to these?

Even after having the new front jack installed, my Trilogy was still not level when using auto level. They did walk me through manually adjusting and then the Zero set. They had me manually adjust/balance (front to back and side to side) the trailer, using a level, center point of trailer (island area). Then initiate the Zero Set, to memorize - page #3 of this link: http://www.primetimerv.com/download/componentmanuals/levelupautomaticleveling-lippert-ownersmanual.pdf

Tags
hydraulic, manual