Old 08-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
MCD Shade comes crashing down

We stopped to set up camp today and the DW yells at me to come inside. The MCD shade by the dining room table broke loose and fell. Apparently a cheap piece of plastic failed that holds the shade in place. Imagine that, a cheap piece of plastic being used in RV construction! Boy am I pi$$ed!

I've towed this only 1200 miles. I can't wait to see what breaks next. Surely that was the only cheap plastic used in construction of this higher end coach. Somehow I doubt it.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

retamaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
I understand that MCD is very responsive as far as their customer service is concerned. Feel blessed.

gauchoverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
Follow-up on the MCD shade clip failure. I looked at the MCD shade manufacturers website to see if they had an owners manual/installation instructions. Low and behold they did. Our shade came down because the two plastic clips holding it up failed. When I looked at the MCD manual, they suggested using three clips on shades between 30 inches and 60 inches. Our shade is in the dining room and is 57 inches long.

The coach is still under warranty but My dealer is 500 miles away, the nearest dealer is about 150 miles away. That dealer said they would work on my coach, but they could not get me in for five weeks. I understand and am grateful they at least agreed to work on it, however, I did not want to wait that long.

I found a "how to" on the internet and it looks pretty simple to fix, all I need are the clips. I'm looking at the pictures of the install and realize the clips they show are all metal. I called Dynamax Customer Service and spoke with Mark. Explained the dealership distance and timeline. Told him if they would send me the clips, I would fix myself. The parts were sent out last Friday and I received today. Guess what? They are the same metal clips shown on the install I looked at on the internet! So tomorrow I am putting in my three new metal clips and believe that will take care of the problem. Dynamax sent me three extra so I am ready if the rear glass shade comes down.

The point of all this is if you have a plastic clip failure, be sure to replace with metal clips and use the correct number based on the size of the shade.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
retamaman is online now   Reply With Quote