Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2015, 11:53 PM   #1

New member/owner. Day 1.

Well today the dear wife and I traded in our beloved 2009 Crossroads Seville VF35CK on a 2015 Trilogy 38RE. The floorplans are quite similar, but with some very important tweaks. Stairs opposite side of the entry door, washer dryer closet beside master bed, and of course the residential fridge were our main focus points. We are currently camping in the back yard, since we have to work till Thursday before our first real trip. Overall we are quite happy with the Trilogy, but it is certainly not without its faults.

When we did the PDI at the dealer (we set the pace, so as fast or slow as we wanted. No pressure) everything worked at that time, and all our questions were answered. Now that we are home, almost 2 hours away, we do have some issues:

1. Both the bedroom closet doors fell off on the way home. The screws ripped right out of the wood. Pretty flimsy way to mount such heavy doors. I doubt we will try to remount them. Probably look at alternatives.

1a. The wood paneling in the front closet on both side walls was buckled/bulged out. I honestly don't know if that was a recent development or not. I was able to pop it back into place, but I don't think it will stay. I am rather surprised there is that much movement there. I was expecting a much more "solid" coach.

2. The porch light, scare light, and hallway step lights no longer work. Not sure what is happening there. Fuses and breakers are all good, maybe tomorrow I will see if I can get access to the back of the switches and see how the wiring looks.

3. The front living room ceiling fan works, but either the rear does not, or is it on a separate switch we have not found?

4. Where are the low point drains? I see where the lines come out, but the valves must be tucked away somewhere....

Truck sits nice and level, and I'm just squeaking by on the rear axle weight as per our local DOT. Our lab Atticus approves.

-lenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:58 PM   #2

Geez....not a very good first impression. Best of luck getting it all fixed.

2014 Spartan 1032
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4WD/Duramax
RockyMtnMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:28 AM   #3

Well my wife found the switch for the rear ceiling fan, so that one is an easy fix!
Old 07-12-2015, 12:49 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome and congrats on the new trilogy from another former Crossroads owner! I sent from a zinger tt to a sabre fiver last year.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
Well my wife found the switch for the rear ceiling fan, so that one is an easy fix!
Lenny! Has she Found the (Windows) on the Drivers Side? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:58 AM   #6

Welcome your Trilogy is very similar to ours, as any other make there are bound to be some issues. We have had ours back to the dealer twice for issues with one more trip back then all should be good.

Quote:

1. Both the bedroom closet doors fell off on the way home. The screws ripped right out of the wood. Pretty flimsy way to mount such heavy doors. I doubt we will try to remount them. Probably look at alternatives. my guess is the doors were not secured in the open (travel) position and they kept sliding back and forth until they final ripped loose.

1a. The wood paneling in the front closet on both side walls was buckled/bulged out. I honestly don't know if that was a recent development or not. I was able to pop it back into place, but I don't think it will stay. I am rather surprised there is that much movement there. I was expecting a much more "solid" coach. there should not be any movement. It may just have been loose, just keep an eye on it.

2. The porch light, scare light, and hallway step lights no longer work. Not sure what is happening there. Fuses and breakers are all good, maybe tomorrow I will see if I can get access to the back of the switches and see how the wiring looks.if you received a remote with your unit that controls the slides and awnings it may also control the lights. Try turning the lights on with it. I know if you turn the lights on with it you can't turn them off with the switch you must use the remote.

3. The front living room ceiling fan works, but either the rear does not, or is it on a separate switch we have not found?

4. Where are the low point drains? I see where the lines come out, but the valves must be tucked away somewhere....mine are under the unit. The tank is at the rear and the cold/hot are under the left side by the basement.

Truck sits nice and level, and I'm just squeaking by on the rear axle weight as per our local DOT. Our lab Atticus approves.

mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:15 AM   #7

Welcome and congratulations Lenny.
We "downgraded" from a much more high end trailer and couldn't be happier, sure we had issues but they were far and between of what we experienced on our last one.
-The low point drains should be behind the access panel in the basement, you'll see them when you remove the screws and pull the cover, the fridge has it's own low point drain outside under the slideout.
-All the doors must be locked in the open position during travel.
-Now the bad news, it is very common to wire several lights on one common ground and if there is a poor connection somewhere it is very hard to find.

John
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Lenny! Has she Found the (Windows) on the Drivers Side? Youroo!!
I know what you were referring to, but you actually reminded me about something. Both drivers side and one rear window opened up by themselves on the way home. Not sure if they were closed properly before we embarked or not. Will have to keep an eye on them.

Here is a pic with more windows in our backyard campsite:

Old 07-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #9

The closet doors were closed, and latched. I was not aware they needed to (or could be) secured open. Bathroom doors can't be closed either? Hall door obviously must be latched open or there will be a loud crunch when the slide goes in lol. The only remotes we got were for the fireplace and tv lift (and tvs of course).
Old 07-12-2015, 11:36 AM   #10

Cypressloser, we used to live in SE AB ourselves, and Elkwater was our go to campsite!

Old 07-12-2015, 11:42 AM   #11

Now we live more "West Central" AB, so Whistlers in Jasper fills the bill.

Full hookups here! Amazing campsite.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:03 PM   #12

Lenny, there should be door bolts on the bottom of all your sliding doors - unless they changed that (which I doubt) - it's the only way to securely hold the doors in place.
The Trilogy should have come with a remote for the awnings, slide outs, outside lights and landing gear, the dealer probably messed up.
"Hall door obviously must be latched open or there will be a loud crunch when the slide goes in lol"
I'll give you that, you'd be the only one not laughing.
John
Old 07-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #13

Interesting, we live about 5 min. from Med. Hat and are trying to sell our house and find a nice acreage somewhere in the Rocky Mtn. House area. We are getting tired of the heat in summer and want to retire where there is some green.
Here are a couple pics. from our last trip to Elkwater 2 days after labour day long weekend last year - best time to go there hands down.

Edit: We've never been to Whistlers - have to check it out, it gets excellent reviews.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140910_164721.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	82648   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140910_132909.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	526.0 KB
ID:	82649  
Old 07-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Interesting, we live about 5 min. from Med. Hat and are trying to sell our house and find a nice acreage somewhere in the Rocky Mtn. House area. We are getting tired of the heat in summer and want to retire where there is some green.
Here are a couple pics. from our last trip to Elkwater 2 days after labour day long weekend last year - best time to go there hands down.
Looks too cold for me. I would much rather chase the 80's.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:57 PM   #15

Fall camping in Elkwater was always great! So quiet and peaceful, almost have the place to yourself! Loved the turkeys strolling around, gobble gobble!

Upon closer inspection, I now see the latches on the closet doors to hold them open. I will remout the hangers and try this again. Later this afternoon I am going to poke around a bit and look for a bad ground or something, see if I can't get the lights going.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabbwr View Post
Looks too cold for me. I would much rather chase the 80's.
Yeah - but imagine you have the whole cg. for yourself, snow falling for 3 days straight, everything is still green, fireplace on, glass of red wine - HAVEN.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #17

Another quick question: I want to plug an HDMI cable into the bedroom TV. How do I get it off the wall? I've looked in the cabinets on both sides and can not find a way to access the back of the TV?
Old 07-12-2015, 03:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Fall camping in Elkwater was always great! So quiet and peaceful, almost have the place to yourself! Loved the turkeys strolling around, gobble gobble!

Upon closer inspection, I now see the latches on the closet doors to hold them open. I will remout the hangers and try this again. Later this afternoon I am going to poke around a bit and look for a bad ground or something, see if I can't get the lights going.
You probably have all LED's and they are very voltage sensitive. You could replace the fuse (fuses) in question, they sometimes test ok even if they aren't. Check the voltage at both sides of the fuse and then down the line at the lights, this can be very difficult to pin point. It could also be a light bulb not making proper contact with the socket. My guess is you have to take it back to the dealership.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Another quick question: I want to plug an HDMI cable into the bedroom TV. How do I get it off the wall? I've looked in the cabinets on both sides and can not find a way to access the back of the TV?
When you look under the TV cabinet you see a 1/4 plywood panel held in place with philips head screws, when you remove this panel you'll have access to the back of the TV.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #20

Unfortunately the underside of my cabinet is stapled on.