Old 06-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #1

On Board Generator

Just curious, thinking about an on board generator for my Trilogy 5th Wheel. Here are some questions for anyone with experience with 5th wheel generators: make of generator, cost for total installed, noise level in and out of unit, LP consumption keeping in mind air conditioners running. This would be used more in summer temps. I have the on board LP tank, so that should help. Appreciate any experience.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #2

We had an Onan 5500 LP installed at the dealer before we took delivery on our 2011 cardinal I think it added 4500.00 to the price . It works well and runs both ACs with no problem, also not near the smell compared to gasoline but does consume some propane. I take a 40 lb bottle and use it up first when we are on a long weekend dry camping. Noise is not an issue as the Onan is quiet. I did have to adjust the regulator pressure because the gen would shutdown and the 30 lb LP bottle was still half full. Since my local dealer helped me figure that out all is good! Go for the Onan!

Old 06-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #3

When you say weekend, how much actual time running is that. I don't mind no AC during the day, but I gotta have AC when sleeping.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #4

I have a Onan 5500 LP onboard generator in my 5th wheel. It cost me $4500 to have it installed by the dealer at purchased. As I recalled I used about 7 to 8 gallons of LP in about 8 hours of use (which includes the AC, water heater & frig use) -so about a gallon an hour. We were at an elevation of 7600 feet (if this is a factor?). I believe this generator is about as quiet as you are going to get. The noise level is very tolerable in the coach & a very good generator for your neighbors (I think it is extremely quiet compared to others).

A friend of mine purchased the same generator from eBay for $2800 and had it professionally installed for <$500 (google "onan generator installed" and see who installs them in your area). He was a lot smarter than I was.

I really like mine - extremely easy to start/stop from inside the coach and outside.
Cummings Onan 5500 generator
Hitch - Husky 26K slider
Winegard SK 3005 dish
UT Cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #5

I will use the gen six to eight hours a day and my gen will consume a little more than one gallon per hour when both ACs are running.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
bpe

checkout boileys.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:09 PM   #7

I have a Onan 5500 LP Generator for Sale? It's a 2015 model, Camping World took it out of a 2015 New Toy Hauler this guy purchased but didn't want the generator. I bought it with hopes of putting in my FR Toy hauler pull behind, but it was too large. So I had to go out and purchase a 4000 Gas Onan. The 5500 only had 2hrs on it. I traveled to Cincinatti, OH Camping World heard it run, they removed it from the RV and loaded into my truck and I paid him $3,500.00 for it. I will let it go for $3,000.00
Old 08-27-2015, 05:09 PM   #8

Rambler, we have 5500 Onan in our Trilogy. I can't tell you about fuel consumption, but it's so convenient when you need to run both AC's, for everything else we have solar.
If I had to do it again I would probably install a heavy duty tool tray in the generator compartment and mount a Yamaha on a slide out tray, when you're parked and run out of fuel it's easier to find gas than propane, esp. with the underbelly tank, but that tank should last a long time. The generator tray would have to be pulled out of the compartment for proper ventilation of course.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:17 PM   #9

we had the dealer install an onan 5500 lp generator in the front of our 2015 cardinal 5th wheel. cost was $5200 installed. we try to stay where there is shore power but there have been times when I was really thankful for the generator such as rv park losing all a/c power due to an accident down the road that severed the power line, a dry camp for one weekend. but there is something even more important for us. our 5th wheel has 5 slides that need 110 power to operate. when the slides are in you CANNOT access several areas of the inside. you must move them out to even open the refrigerator. so when we are going down the road and want to stop to get something, we must turn on the generator to open the slides in order to get to the refrigerator or some of the living room cabinets. would a portable generator work do to this? yes, but it is awfully simple to start the onan by pressing a single button.