Old 08-23-2015, 02:23 PM   #1
Paint protection film

So last week we were in St Albert for business, we stayed at the Kinsmen campground in town. I decided to get some tint and paint protection done on the dually, and was able to talk them into coming over to the campground and doing the nose of our Trilogy. I only wish we did it sooner. In two trips, all pavement, we already had 3 rock chips. I touched them up as best I could with the provided paint kit, and they got to work. I was very impressed with the quality of work and attention to detail. It took them most of the day, but they covered the nose from the marker lights all the way down, side to side. Only had to do it in two pieces due to the width of the film. Overall it is about 8 feet by 9 coverage, with zero wrinkles or bubbles. Amazing work, considering the curves and lines present in this piece.

Product used is Suntek paint protection film.

The film coverage on the dually was extensive. Tailgate, dually tubs front 2/3 (one piece), rocker panels, door sills, door handle buckets, door handles, first ~8" of roof, windshield pillars, first 12" of hood, fender flares, lights, front bumper and grille. If anyone is ever in need of this product in the Edmonton area, I highly recommend St Albert Tint. Tom and Yasna are above and beyond anyone you have dealt with before.

-lenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:22 PM   #2
That sounds nice and something I'd like to do to ours. Look real nice. My new dually could use some also. Nice

2014 Palomino Columbus 3650TH
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:32 PM   #3
The dually flares take a real beating, even on highway. The factory applied protective film is far too small to be effective.

Can't really see it (I guess that is the point lol!) but the film starts behind the midpoint of the tire, and goes up to the front of the box. All one piece, and they didn't just cut the film off when they got to an edge, they wrapped around it. Very well done.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:06 PM   #4
When we picked up our Trilogy, I noticed that the Diamond Shield looked like it was installed by a 2yr old. My dealer contacted them and they then contacted me. The closest place to replace it was over 500 miles away. We decided that I would get it done at their "number 1 service center" in Florida this winter. I then asked what the cost would be to do just the painted front bumper of my new Denali. I almost fell over at the cost of a 2x8 piece installed. I can't even imagine what it cost to do all that on both the 5er and the squally!
2015 GMC Denali DRW
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB
mguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:14 PM   #5
I was not familiar with Diamond Shield prior to picking up our Trilogy, but when I washed it the first time I was rather disappointed in that product. As you mention the installation looks "hurried" at best, and the material seems to hold road debris. Not something I would want on my tow vehicle.

As for cost of the film, yes it is not free, but paint chips really bother me! Lesser of two evils I suppose.