Old 02-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
"Fitz" in HSV

Pressure in TrailAir?

I've searched the forum and don't find an answer. I have a new 3800 RL. The factory says the pin weight is approximately 2,525 lbs. After our PDI we departed the dealership for the 200 mile trip home. The ride was terrible. Once home I determined that the air pressure in the pin was only 45 psi. I have pumped it up to so that , when hooked to the truck, the arrow is at the bottom of the shock cover, 65 psi. The manufacturer says 20-125 psi is acceptable. What pressure are you using to get the best ride?

fitzhsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

Don't know yet as they're installing our TA Tri-Glide now, but, I thought there was a line on the shock showing where it should sit with the bag aired up. Don't know. I have experience with MorRyde, but not TrailAir. Surely your ride can't be any worse than a ridgid pin box. We've towed ours with the ridged LCI box for 600 miles so far, and it sucks to say the least. Had a MorRyde on the last fifth wheel we owned, so never knew what the standard pin box towed like until now. We keep looking back to see if it broke off yet.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #3

I had a Trail-Air on my 2008 Cedar Creek. It took about 75 psi to get the top of the arrow to the correct position. I liked it a lot. Sure knocked down the scissoring action (up/down) between the truck and camper. But, we had a lot of chucking at times.

My 3850RL Trilogy has the Mor/ryde pin box. Cuts down on the chucking but not the scissoring. Argh, can't we just get one pin box that does it all?

John
Old 02-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

John, did you have the Trail-Air with TriGlide on your Cedar Creek?
Old 02-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #5

We had the Trail-Air for five years on our Cedarcreek and now have it on our Trilogy. You should not worry about the PSI as it will be different depending on the temperature. If the tops of the arrows are totally showing, your Dynasty should ride great. Being correct also prevents the trailer side from hitting our high bedrails (we learned the hard way on the CC resulting in a lot of damage!

We have the Trailair without the Tri Glide.

JD
"The Henley Condo"
freebirds2831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
John, did you have the Trail-Air with TriGlide on your Cedar Creek?
No, I just had the standard TrailAir.

John
Old 02-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #7
semi-senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzhsv View Post
I've searched the forum and don't find an answer. I have a new 3800 RL. The factory says the pin weight is approximately 2,525 lbs. After our PDI we departed the dealership for the 200 mile trip home. The ride was terrible. Once home I determined that the air pressure in the pin was only 45 psi. I have pumped it up to so that , when hooked to the truck, the arrow is at the bottom of the shock cover, 65 psi. The manufacturer says 20-125 psi is acceptable. What pressure are you using to get the best ride?
You will just have to experiment to get the arrows on the shock to ride at the bottom of housing. I run mine at 50psi on my Columbus 320 and it rides very good, Probably will be different for each application because of the total weigh you are pulling!

2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7HO
Aisin 6speed Auto
SE Mo
denandra2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure