Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #1

Prevent Dryer Fires!

Just a reminder and warning to folks using dryers in their RV. Remember to clean not only the screen inside your dryer but also the screen at the hot air exhaust outside. I cleaned mine this morning after after a few months of use and the exhaust vent outside was almost completely blocked.

This is a very significant fire hazard and something I should have checked much earlier. I have attached a photo of the lint collected from the exhaust vent grill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1452455210.303585.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	97584

Don't risk it! Go check yours today and happy RVing!

2014 Dynamax Trilogy 37BH
2015 Ram 3500 DRW
Old 01-10-2016, 02:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoodrg View Post
Just a reminder and warning to folks using dryers in their RV. Remember to clean not only the screen inside your dryer but also the screen at the hot air exhaust outside. I cleaned mine this morning after after a few months of use and the exhaust vent outside was almost completely blocked.

This is a very significant fire hazard and something I should have checked much earlier. I have attached a photo of the lint collected from the exhaust vent grill.

Attachment 97584

2015 Ram 3500 DRW
Mix it with some bees wax, makes great camp fire starter.

Also glad you looked, camp fire = good, trailer on fire, not so much.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoodrg View Post

Attachment 97584

2015 Ram 3500 DRW
How did you remove the outside cover for the dryer vent? Mine is plugged up and I need to clean it out as well.

Thanks!
John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:51 PM   #4

John it just pops off with a slight bit of convincing. There are a couple of retainer tabs on the bottom so if you kind of press downward while pulling out on the bottom it should come off fairly easy.

2015 Ram 3500 DRW
Old 02-03-2016, 03:05 PM   #5

Thanks kwoodrg, that worked exactly as you stated. I was hesitant yesterday to do it as it seemed pretty tight. Today I found the bottom corner was accessible so I started prying fro there while pulling the cover down a little.

Wow, that was one heck of a fuzz ball inside my vent!

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent