Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #1

Reflectix/Insulating Closet

Our Trilogy resides in full sun…Florida. The cap takes the brunt of it all day. Gave Reflectix a try and so far really like the results. Infrared temp., gun on completed closet wall, it measured 12 degrees cooler than the other side without Reflectix. Also covered the shower skylight, which had an immediate impact (picture upside down). We used to keep the bathroom doors closed to keep it cooler upstairs. No longer necessary. Added to the fantastic fan caps and the vents below steps, no use in cooling the belly and storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cap closet (1).jpg
Views:	289
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	76544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Upside down skylight.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	76545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fantastic Fan.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	338.3 KB
ID:	76546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stair Vent.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	76547  
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:32 AM   #2

Igray, I plan on doing mods similar to these as soon as we get our 36RL. In fact, I would have eliminated the shower skylight if we had ordered. Do you know if the vents at the steps serve a purpose for some type of air flow? I can't imagine why they would be there.

UOTE=lgray;858756]Our Trilogy resides in full sun…Florida. The cap takes the brunt of it all day. Gave Reflectix a try and so far really like the results. Infrared temp., gun on completed closet wall, it measured 12 degrees cooler than the other side without Reflectix. Also covered the shower skylight, which had an immediate impact (picture upside down). We used to keep the bathroom doors closed to keep it cooler upstairs. No longer necessary. Added to the fantastic fan caps and the vents below steps, no use in cooling the belly and storage. [/QUOTE]
Thumper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
Always Learning

I never thought about Reflectix in the front cap closet, but that is a good idea! We make a point to make sure the closet door is closed because of how warm it is in there. I think I'll install some before we load clothes and stuff in.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:56 AM   #4

Last August, we stayed a week in LA(lower Alabama). The first couple of days the AC had to work real hard to keep things tolerable. The next day we went to CW and bought 2 rolls of the Reflectix. Cut them to the proper lengths, slid them between the windows and the day/nite shades. Used clothes pins in a couple places to hold them. Made a world of difference. There was nothing outside to see anyways. Just roll the pieces up and store in an overhead compartment.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper7 View Post
Igray, I plan on doing mods similar to these as soon as we get our 36RL. In fact, I would have eliminated the shower skylight if we had ordered. Do you know if the vents at the steps serve a purpose for some type of air flow? I can't imagine why they would be there.

UOTE=lgray;858756]Our Trilogy resides in full sun…Florida. The cap takes the brunt of it all day. Gave Reflectix a try and so far really like the results. Infrared temp., gun on completed closet wall, it measured 12 degrees cooler than the other side without Reflectix. Also covered the shower skylight, which had an immediate impact (picture upside down). We used to keep the bathroom doors closed to keep it cooler upstairs. No longer necessary. Added to the fantastic fan caps and the vents below steps, no use in cooling the belly and storage.
[/QUOTE]

Not sure what if any purpose the vents serve, my guess is something to do with the furnace, which we never have used. The vents are easily removed 4 screws.

Last night with the closet only partially completed the bedroom AC ran much less frequently. The completed closet walls are within a couple degrees of the walls throughout the fifth wheel. No real reason to keep the closet doors closed, which was never really solution as the hot air was slowly seeping into the bedroom anyway. Correcting the insulation problem is not that hard.
Reflectix has a good website with videos. One to the most important steps if you are trying to keep the hot air out, use 2 or 3 strips (spacers) of the Reflectix to create a space between the wall board and Reflectix, at least a ½ to ¾ of an inch gap. This greatly increases the R factor. 3M, 10 pound indoor/outdoor two sided tape was very effective.

Lowes carries Reflectix in stock; we ordered it through Home Depot, 2 ft. by 100 ft. roll, $75.00, better deal. Sounds like a lot, but once you get started, you will be surprised how many other place there are to insulate. No need for the type that has perforations for stapes unless you plan use staples, again a little less expensive.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:39 PM   #6

Cap closet complete, did not cover the cedar or the two sections of padded material above shelves. Closed the closet doors to test temperature, inside the closet was only slightly warmer than the bedroom. Temperature outside over 90, cap and closet full sun. Front AC no longer running constantly. I will call that a success.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:48 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
Cap closet complete, did not cover the cedar or the two sections of padded material above shelves. Closed the closet doors to test temperature, inside the closet was only slightly warmer than the bedroom. Temperature outside over 90, cap and closet full sun. Front AC no longer running constantly. I will call that a success.
Now, go to the roof units and pull the cover and do the same to the compressor & condenser units and the inside of the covers. You will find they will work much better also.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #8

lgray, how did you attach the reflectix to the vent lid?
Can you open the vent without the stuff blowing away?
Old 05-11-2015, 03:27 PM   #9

He's going to keep on until his trailer is an inside out Airstream!
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Old 05-11-2015, 03:34 PM   #10

My thought is that using it on the vent covers, you are creating a lot more heat on the plastic covers; same thing with front cap, you are reflecting the heat back into it rather than letting it absorb the heat. Long term use will tell.
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:38 PM   #11

I AM curious to see how all this turns out. He may be on to something that the industry might want to take a look at. It certainly isn't going to attract the WEIGHT POLICE.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Old 05-11-2015, 04:52 PM   #12

Would that be any different than the insulation (batten or block) plus reflectix when it is used during construction at the factory?
Old 05-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #13

I accessed the vent covers from the roof. Used the same two sided tape, cut a 3.5 inch hole in the middle for the motor and an 8 inch cut 2 inches in for hinge. I do not plan on taking it down the highway open.
Reflectix can be used to increase the R factor of existing insulation or a wall itself, as long as there is a gap between it and the wall or insulation.
Its other use is obviously to reflect. I think we are getting both in our application to the skylight. We allosed for a 1 to 2 inch gap. The Reflectix is hot to the touch, but heat no longer radiates into the bathroom. Probaby relecting UV while at the same time providing insulation.
Take a look at their website:
http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?PageName=DIY+Unique+Applications&Page Index=560
Old 05-12-2015, 01:17 PM   #14

How difficult is it to remove the paneling inside the closet? Wondering about doing that, then putting in insulation and reinstalling the paneling.