Old 07-27-2016, 09:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksilvi View Post
Well my ac problem turned out to be the dreaded Coleman Mach 8 cracked fan blade. Not a bad compressor.

I'm not sure why Coleman doesn't just recall these fan blades that ALL fail. We got lucky and the blade broke off and wedged itself into the other blades. I've read others that have had the blade cause damage to other components inside the ac.

So I found a mobile RV repair guy who's doing the warranty work. But Coleman is only paying for parts and labor. But not the extra $85 for a service call.

All dealers in my area couldn't even get me an appointment until after Labor Day. It's hot NOW. It's broken NOW. Seems like Coleman should pay the whole bill under the warranty. Especially since this is a known issue for these fans.

2015 Jayco Pinnacle 36fbts
2014 F150 Fx4
Changing out the fan is really fairly easy. Hardest part is getting on the roof. Should take you an hour at most and that would be running up and down for tools. Pretty straight forward.

John

2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #22

It is the vibration that you hear. That vibration is also manifested in the destruction of the fan blades. The fan motor bearings, or balance, in addition to the compressor seem to be the problem. Seems like there may have been a rush to market of a low profile mass market solution. I've been talking with Cardinal and Cedar Creek owners, and it seems both Dometic and Coleman units are loud and less efficient. The old technology seems to score high on both those.

Since the weight is nearly the same, I may opt for the taller unit when repairs are required. They would not increase my overall height, since we have a Winegard satellite unit installed and it is the highest point.

Hope this is helpful.

God Bless,
David & Cathy

2015 Trilogy 38FL
2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW
Trailersaver TS-3 Hitch on B&W Platform

Old 07-31-2016, 02:07 PM   #23

So, yesterday I was finally able to finish the install of the Mach 15 AC complete with the interior ceiling kit. I decided to make a youtube video to show everyone so it is clear what I was doing overall. Its not a professional production, just a kind of overview of what I was doing so that people have some kind of reference. I did this also because I couldn't find a single video about either 1) a sealed ducted conversion to a ceiling kit ducted system or 2) a swap from a Mach 8 to Mach 15 video.

In fact there are little to no videos about the Mach 8's at all anywhere online even though manufacturers are installing them left and right in order to achieve that "low profile" look.

I wanted to finally say, that WOW is this baby kicking out some cold air with the new ceiling kit installed. I installed the Coleman/AirXcel ChillGrille kit. Unbeleivable cooling difference. I left the grill vents open to dump air straight out and the bunk room where the AC is installed turned into an icebox in short time. It NEVER gets cool back in that room because that room faces the intense sun in the west. Well, now my friends I can say it is nice an cool in the camper today with the temps outside at 93 degrees ( feels like 105! ) with humidity at 56%. We had to raise the temp on the thermostat because it is TOO cool! My daughter is bundled up in a blanket on her bunk right now! Haha! As you can tell I am very happy with this install and the result.

Here is a link to the video. I tried to capture what I could that was relevant (but also finish my work). Hopefully, it is helpful to someone out there.

AirXcel/Coleman Mach 15 (AC) Part Number: 48204C866
AirXcel/Coleman ChillGrille Ceiling Kit Part Number: 8330C633

Youtube Install Video:
Old 07-31-2016, 02:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoodrg View Post
AirXcel/Coleman Mach 15 (AC) Part Number: 48204C866
AirXcel/Coleman ChillGrille Ceiling Kit Part Number: 8330C633
thanks for your post and all the info you included,..... two weeks ago we experienced for the first time a situation where our 13,500 ac couldn't keep up with the outside heat, ....... no shade whatsoever in the cg, for three days straight, the ac never cycled off until about 7:30pm and during the day couldn't get below 79 inside the trailer, ..... if that becomes a regular occurrence I'll be looking to upgrade the ac and the Mach 15 is what I will go to,....... again thanks for your post

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:23 PM   #25

Thanks everyone for the comments and private messages. It's good to see information shared in the community that helps everyone.

I thought I would include some photos of the process for reference for those trying to keep bandwidth consumption down on mobile hotspots:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1470000058.450492.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	115940Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1470000074.671655.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	115941Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1470000091.039717.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	115942Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1470000107.218343.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	115943Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1470000121.759207.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	115944Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1470000142.475997.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	115945

2014 Dynamax Trilogy 37BH
2015 Ram 3500 DRW
Old 08-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #26

kwoodrg,

Thanks for the video and pictures; nicely done!

Now I understand why you said you needed to cut a hole and install a bracket. I didn't realize you had the sealed/hidden/residential looking air conditioning system. I wish mine had that. We have been in newer models that have 3 ACs, all totally vented and the noise difference is amazing. I hate the noise mine makes but I run them all full blast here in Oklahoma with these 100+ degree days

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #27

John last night around 2:30 am our front Mach 8 blower motor spontaneously self destructed in the same manner as yours. Thanks for sharing all the details on that because although it scared the daylights out of us as soon as I became conscious enough to think, I knew exactly what it was!

I just finished up on the roof, taking the blower motor from our Mach 8 that had a compressor die and exchanging it into the otherwise still working front Mach 8.

I hate these Mach 8s. They are pure junk and have horrible reliability. I expect this blower to self destruct any day, so we are going to have to just suck it up and order another Mach 15 and have it ready on standby. Not running AC here in south Louisiana is not an option. So we need to be ready.

Can I remind people of how egregiously loud these Mach 8 units are? It's ridiculous. From the front of our Trilogy roof, I couldn't even tell if the rear (new) Mach 15 was even running. I had to walk to the back of the roof to confirm.

The front Mach 8 on the other hand can be heard 'round the world. That one unit drowns out all the neighbors in noise. It's nuts!

Anyway, we're back up and running for now. Now to determine the best path for dealing with the extreme amounts of condensate running into our ceiling!

2014 Dynamax Trilogy 37BH
2015 Ram 3500 DRW