Old 10-15-2016, 09:39 PM   #1

Roof Stains & Air Conditioners

Has anyone been watching their roof conditions by the Air Conditioners? I was up on mine this afternoon and found all three ACs had rust stains on the roof coming from the ACs to the edge. All three had this condition plus looked like some mildew.

We are currently in Oklahoma and the humidity here goes high/low very frequently. We usually have the ACs running about 73/74 degrees day and night. I hate heat and humidity

Today I did some minor scrubbing of the roof using a Clorox cleaning solution. It seemed to knock out most of the stains but not 100%.

Anyone else looked at this and possible cleaning solutions? I'm glad the roof is fiberglass and not the rubber stuff

John

2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:27 AM   #2

I have not noticed any rust type stains, just what I would call a normal dirty condition. I use a mild detergent and brush along with a small electric power washer which doesn't put out termendous pressure. And I agree that I'm glad it's fiberglass and not rubber.

mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:36 AM   #3

Not knowing where in Oklahoma you are in, could it possibly the red dirt in Oklahoma???
Old 10-16-2016, 10:01 AM   #4

You may want to check with the MFG as to the cleaning solution you use on the roof even if it is fiberglass. Clorox seems kind of harsh IMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #5

OxiClean might be good for your purpose.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:58 PM   #6

We are in the SW corner of the state and the wind blows all of the time. Lots of dirt passing Yes, it is possible it is the red dirt staining the roof; didn't really think of that. It's only by the ACs but that could be because of the water running off the ACs.

The Clorox is a solution used in bathrooms and is supposedly safe on fiberglass. It doesn't smell like a full strength Clorox. I can't imagine it doing any harm to the fiberglass but I am aware of it eventually running off the roof and onto my $$ paint.

Will look into getting some OxiClean.

Thanks for the suggestions!
John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:31 PM   #7

We have a 36ckts and the rear a/c unit also has brown streaks coming out of it. We live in Iowa and it's not that warm here.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:07 PM   #8

My Flagstaff 27RLWS has the same issue, rust streak coming from the AC unit, street side............. 1st year of operation nothing, but this year (Season 2) I noticed it but haven't had a chance to investigate it more.....Live on Cape Cod, Massachusetts, used on Cape Cod and southern Rhode Island.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:30 PM   #9

watching their roof conditions by the Air Conditioners? I was up on miand found all three ACs had rust stains on the roof coming from the ACs to the edge. All three had this condition plus looked like some mildew.

We are currently in Oklahoma and the humidity here goes high/low very frequently. We usually have the ACs running about 73/74 degrees day and night. I hate heat and humidity

Today I did some minor scrubbing of the roof using a Clorox cleaning solution. It seemed to knock out most of the stains but not 100%.

Anyone else looked at this and possible cleaning solutions? I'm glad the roof is fiberglass and not the rubber stuff

John[/QUOTE]

Tags
air conditioner, roo, roof