Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #21
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlleelise View Post
Thanks for all the advice! This is a brand-new 2014 unit, so there shouldn't be any water damage, right? As to inspections, we're newbies and didn't know that that was a 'thing.' Should we arrange for an inspection before buying even a NEW unit? Any inspection companies you can recommend?
New units need to be inspected just as much or more than used units... unfortunately. Yes it is a brand-new unit, but it has been sitting out in the weather for how long? If it was an early 2014 it is pushing 3 years old.

You definitely need to enlist the help of someone that is familiar with RV's for an independent inspection.

Here is a list to help you get started on what to look for.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:54 PM   #22

Actually, there is another option...we could buy an adorable mobile home in a park for about $5k less than the 2016 Open Range. Maybe that would make more sense since rvs seem to be fraught with problems?
Basically, we need a home base in upstate NY for 6 mos. of the year. We'd have to pay rent every month of the year for a mobile home, whereas we only have to pay for 6 mos. rent for an rv spot - and the rv park will even let us leave it right there on the spot.
Hearing all of the comments here - and realizing how little we know about how complex rv upkeep/repair can be - maybe that is wiser??
mlleelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:21 PM   #23

If its the layout and ptice range you want its worth a second look, maybe have a mobile tech inspect it and have the dealer fix b 4 you purchace it see what the mfg warranty is and if there is a extended available , if you are wintering with it look into a catalitic heater as the furnace is very inefficent good luck, other things to consider are insulating watter and sewer lines
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:42 PM   #24
Site Team

New doesn't necessarily mean it's perfect either. X2 on any unit being inspected and looking for signs of water leaks or damage.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #25
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlleelise View Post
Actually, there is another option...we could buy an adorable mobile home in a park for about $5k less than the 2016 Open Range. Maybe that would make more sense since rvs seem to be fraught with problems?
Basically, we need a home base in upstate NY for 6 mos. of the year. We'd have to pay rent every month of the year for a mobile home, whereas we only have to pay for 6 mos. rent for an rv spot - and the rv park will even let us leave it right there on the spot.
Hearing all of the comments here - and realizing how little we know about how complex rv upkeep/repair can be - maybe that is wiser??
That might not be a bad option. RV's are have multiple systems that need TLC, a mobile home not so much.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:35 PM   #26

About buying a left over trilogy

I have a 2013 trilogy and love it, our roof is like a coach roof
They may have changed the roof of the newer ones, I'm not sure.
But if I was not going to be moving it I would look into a park model!
Their a little more roomer and very nice smaller than a house trailer!
camperone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:56 PM   #27

mlleelise:

If you go for the 2014 Trilogy, be aware that it may actually have been built in 2013. (My 2016 Mini Lite was built on May 7, 2015). So let's assume it was built in May 2013. It's now November 2016. That would make it actually 3-1/2 years old, not 2 yrs old. On the front of the trailer, street (left) side there should be a white sticker that gives you the VIN, GVWR, and other information. It should also tell you when it was built. I've attached mine, FYI.

So the tires are at least that old, too. If you look on the tires, there should be a 4 digit number. The first 2 digits are the week and the 2nd two are the year that the tire was made. In my case, I have two with "4414" and two with "4514," so they were made in the 44th and 45th weeks of 2014 (i.e., around the end of October, 2014). So they were 6 months old before the TT was even built. I'm guessing you'll find the ones on the Trilogy will be "XX12," "XX13," or "XX14." You can then figure out how old they are.

If you do a search for "China Bombs" on this forum you will find many, many posts of people having their Chinese tires failing. (And 99% of us have Chinese tires.) So if you buy this potentially 3-1/2 yr old rig, you should probably immediately buy new tires (or maybe you can get the dealer to throw new ones into the deal).

I'm no expert, but forum consensus seems to favor Maxxis and Goodyear Marathons, among a couple others I can't recall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini Lite VIN sticker.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	125537  

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:11 AM   #28

If you’re Trilogy was built in 2013, that is a good thing, that means that it will have a fiberglass roof. I don’t think any of the early Trilogy’s, prior to the Touring models, came with lower quality tires. Ours came from the factory with Goodyear H rated LT tires. We use as a seasonal, in the harshest climate ocean front salt air and intense sun & heat, Florida, 24/7, 365. Our 2013, which was built August 2012, tires inflated just fine, for tow inland, after not moving in over 2 years (Matthew).

Considered a park model & destination trailer, but none of them are as well built and have a fraction of the storage as a fiver.If you are planning to use it as a home base you can’t beat it. If you are planning on towing it, upgrade the suspension to Mor Ryd, same as you would want to consider when purchasing ANY fifth wheel with the crap Lipper stock suspensions, Trilogy's are heavy. Check for cracks in the fiberglass roof as well as the skylight and all caulking. Triple test the Lippert hydraulic levelers and the fittings/hoses for leaks.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:55 AM   #29

Keep in mind, in dealerships and price books it's three years old and worth one half It's present value, no argument sir. Value based on mfg. date, not new smell
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Keep in mind, in dealerships and price books it's three years old and worth one half It's present value, no argument sir. Value based on mfg. date, not new smell

I think you meant to say, worth 1/2 original MSRP, not "present value".
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:27 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
This is a valid argument on a trade or if there is bank financing. However, on a private sale, condition will prevail over age. It depends on the up front deal as to future depreciation. Mlleelise would have the advantage of being on a permanent site.

As proof, we sold a slide-in truck camper and a boat that were more than 2 years old. They brought back very near their original cost because of condition. If the economy continues to grow, prices of the new units continue to climb. There are a lot of variables to this argument.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:34 PM   #32

Not necessarily. Let's assume the caulking dried out in spots. Pinhole leaks in water. Equals roof rot. It's been sitting for two years. Realistically, mechanical things fail. The question is is if they know it and sell it to you anyway.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:41 PM   #33

Personally, I'd be happy as a clam to live in a nice tt, or a 5r all the time. Wouldn't bother me a bit. Simplify my life. A double wide would be great too. I have a really nice suburban home, the usual good life. I don't mean to be snark here. If we all have rvs we've got sufficient b point is in the summer I'd rather be in my tt. Now. My 5r last year was great too. Small. Easy to care for and I have everything I really need.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
I think you meant to say, worth 1/2 original MSRP, not "present value".

I meant to say sticker price or dealer price at sale. It may be special billing at left over time but the orig buyer will be selling a 3 year older coach when he attemps to sell . Someone must absorb the depreciation. None of the value standard books have a column for delayed start evaluation. It's the model year that sets it.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags