Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2016, 05:01 PM   #1

Should I buy a left over NEW 2014 Trilogy?

Hi all...we have been searching and searching for a well insulated rv for use in the cold NE during winter. This will be our first RV experience. It will be placed in an rv spot and stay there, as we have no truck. We of course like the newer models with more residential features, bigger tv, less carpet, etc. Those models in the Landmark and Pinnacle were about $10,000 too much for our budget. Then, lo and behold, we happened upon a brand new 2014 Trilogy with everything we like, and it's actually just barely within our budget.
Question is: Since they are a discontinued model, would we have a problem with warranty repairs? That would worry us, since we've never rv-ed before.
Thanks!
mlleelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:06 PM   #2
Commercial Member

No problem with warranty, Dynamax is still in business and the warranty is valid. We just weren't set up to build 5th wheels and meet our motorhome demand.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:49 PM   #3

I wouldn't be too concerned. But. Look that rig all over. Roof especially. Make sure it's all tight and basically still new.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:22 AM   #4

Thanks for the reassurance! I will make sure we check out the roof too.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlleelise View Post
Thanks for the reassurance! I will make sure we check out the roof too.

Also check around the skylight frame for cracks...for a time, there was over cranking, many had to be replaced...small issue for even the worst dealers.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:18 PM   #6

We were in the same position when we were looking for a Class C. We came across a 2014 that was coming into the 2016 run. Same features with mostly minor differences. The major difference was that Ford added trans gears. We got our price and the full warranty plus extended drive train warranty. With all that, we chose new over used and it has been a good experience-and value.

Follow the advice of the others by checking everything very closely including checking for hail damage. If it fits your needs, go for it.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:29 PM   #7

Due diligence is the key here.

We looked at this a while back and opted out, but with your rig being parked it might be more feasible.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:32 PM   #8

Assuming the unit complies with your needs, it is all about the inspection. Be willing to let professionals help you and pay for that assistance. Unless you know how to look for water damage and also how to do a soap bubble air pressure test, you really should be paying for people to help you.

If it was a mh, we would be talking about chassis, engine, and fluid inspections.

One just sort of can't be amazed when someone said they didn't have the time to do the fluid inspections and a week later the engine blew, so they were faced with $30,000 of avoidable repairs.

Or

when someone says oh, looks like a simple leak, we are so so smart and estimate we can fix it for $500, which then turns into a $15,000 repair job. And with water damage there is always the leftover issue of mildew.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:34 PM   #9

"Thanks for the reassurance! I will make sure we check out the roof too."

That's the kind of reply that makes me think you better be lucky, because..of the odds of a "here we go again" another bad story.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:45 PM   #10

Thanks for all the advice! This is a brand-new 2014 unit, so there shouldn't be any water damage, right? As to inspections, we're newbies and didn't know that that was a 'thing.' Should we arrange for an inspection before buying even a NEW unit? Any inspection companies you can recommend?
Old 11-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #11

Great. Just read your reply, Philos3. Yes, we are totally new to this, and I'm the wife. So, no, we don't know much at all about rv-ing. I'm the one who has been researching like crazy for the last 2 weeks because, suddenly, our lives were turned upside down due to a change in our family situation. Without ever listing our home, it was sold this week, so we're under great pressure to move FAST - by the end of the year. Very stressful.
We've been looking at a 2016 Open Range 3x - and this 2014 Triology. Both brand new. Both with the kind of insulation package we need in upstate NY in the winter. So, yes, this is a crash course - and I probably am too optimistic about rv living.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlleelise View Post
Thanks for all the advice! This is a brand-new 2014 unit, so there shouldn't be any water damage, right? As to inspections, we're newbies and didn't know that that was a 'thing.' Should we arrange for an inspection before buying even a NEW unit? Any inspection companies you can recommend?
Whoa Pancho,

Do not assume anything, this in reality a 2-3 year old trailer that has been left out in the elements.

There can and will be a miriade of things wrong with it just because it sat for a few years.

Go at this like you are looking at a used trailer. Assume the worst would be best until proven otherwise and do a ton of research.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #13

Naive? Yes, indeed we are. At this point, we're leaning towards the Open Range 3x, mainly because it's 2 years newer, for the same price.
Makes one nervous to spend this kind of money on something like this. I am researching & researching, but haven't even scratched the surface it seems. Geesh... Thanks for the reality check.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #14

I have seen water damage on new units.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:08 PM   #15

The smart play is to find a local RV service repair shop and pay them to help you.

I have spent more than 3 years studying this stuff and it really is just beyond complex how many issues there are to consider.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:19 PM   #16

For units that have been sitting I suggest spending at least 2 hours looking behind every cubby with a high power flashlight, taking good pictures w/flash, and then looking at them at home, etc. BEFORE making an offer. If you see signs of water damage or even water runs in all of the sawdust they leave behind, run-away!

In 2014 I purposefully looked at new & used TTs during & just after heavy rains & found new units that leaked badly (salesperson put in a work order - so it wasn't an open skylight, etc...) Therefore I chose a mildly used 2011 that was bone dry yet offered at considerable savings.

On our used unit, the dealer included a pressurized leak test & re-caulking, new battery, new CO2 detector, filled propane tanks & adjusted all slide-out & awning tracking. We were able to camp the next 3 seasons without any serious issues. IMO a much better deal than having a warranty & having to take haul it back & forth...

IMO you should look-up the used price of a 2014 & offer no more. The warranty is just a bonus... Many folks park their used RVs inside a pole barn, winter storage, etc. and therefore they have been exposed to less weather than unsold new units... Also, there is typically a reason a RV has sat on a lot unsold... IMO folks with more RV experience passed on that unit for a reason...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:21 PM   #17

Check the dicor on the roof for cracks and probably want it replaced - it is about $1k if you have to pay for it. Also check the tires - look at the manf. date and may want them to be replaced - they could be as much as 4 years old. Look for any cap fade on the front and rear. Be sure to get a new battery also. Other than that just do a very thorough walk through. Sitting in hot weather just cooks things and glues let go after that as well as other movement from expansion and contraction - not a big deal but just something to check.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:41 PM   #18

You wouldn't happen to have seen this particular rig close to Frankenmuth MI?

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #19

No, it was in Pennsylvania
Old 11-19-2016, 02:51 PM   #20

Okay.... Saw one same situation and it was in terrible shape for "new".

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags