Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #1

Shower handle

Has anyone changed out their single shower handle? If so, what product did you use. I would like to have my DH change ours to one that has a wider water change area. We have never had ours at the right temperature; when it is too hot, we can touch it and it goes cold. We touch again and it returns to too hot.

JD
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
Site Team

nearly everyone replaces theirs with the Oxygenics Body Spa units and they are overwhelming loved and superior to anything else.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:37 PM   #3

I agree - there is no better shower HEAD than the Oygenics. We have had one for many many years. But what I am referring to is the shower HANDLE. We have never had a problem before, but the single handle in the Trlogy is too touchy without enough graduation to adjust it properly.

JD
Old 03-16-2014, 10:23 PM   #4

It won't help the range sensitivity I plan to change our handle to a knob that will be less prone to being bumped

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forest River Forums mobile app
gauchoverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchoverde View Post
It won't help the range sensitivity I plan to change our handle to a knob that will be less prone to being bumped

Yes I have to agree the handle is a problem ( don't know how many times I have bumped it ) let me know if you find a solution ! I have not done anything to her this year ...winter just won't go away....
Old 04-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #6

I originally posted on this same issue last year but at that time no one else had a problem. It is extremely difficult to get the temperature set correctly. If anyone has found a solution, please advise.

Sherry
WestWardHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #7

If your talking about a single handle faucet in your shower why not replace it with a dual knob faucet (hot & cold)? Easy to do (typically) and not expensive.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
If your talking about a single handle faucet in your shower why not replace it with a dual knob faucet (hot & cold)? Easy to do (typically) and not expensive.
So it's not hard to replace a single handle faucet with duals? I'm thinking drilling holes which does not excite me.

Sherry
Old 04-13-2014, 07:06 PM   #9

Yes there could be some drilling and patching since it is a different style of valve body

Old 04-13-2014, 07:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Yes there could be some drilling and patching since it is a different style of valve body

Don't forget the plumbing may be radically different also. The single valve is side entry ports, the H/C handles are usually back entry. I'd go to a home supply store and pick out something like yours. Problem may be leakage in the control valve body and subsequent oversupplying either water source.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #11

Quote:

Thanks but don't want to mess up the RV shower. There should be a control that works better. I seem to remember on S&B shower removing the handle and a screw type water temp adjustment behind it? That might not solve our problem tho.

Sherry
Old 04-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #12

I'm glad to see some new posts on the handle problem. We still haven't done anything. We are considering staying with the single handle for ease in switching but don't know if there is one that will be different.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:57 PM   #13

I believe the one in our Trilogy is an American Standard. There are other brands that should fit. Take a look at Delta and Kohler.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestWardHo View Post
Thanks but don't want to mess up the RV shower. There should be a control that works better. I seem to remember on S&B shower removing the handle and a screw type water temp adjustment behind it? That might not solve our problem tho.

Sherry
That tech certainly exists, don't think it fits the construction budget of a $27 fixture for an RV!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #15

I looked on ours (shower handle & fixture) and couldn't find any brand info.

Sherry
Old 04-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #16

I have solved part of the problem by changing the handle with one that has a lower profile than the original lever.the wife says it is easier to control the temperature. My goal was to not bump it and get scalded or a shot of cold. The new handle is a replacement for a "valley" fixture. I am not sure of the original brand but can only guess from the design.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #17

Hello Everyone
We took possession of our new Trilogy, which we ordered before Christmas, four weeks ago and love it very much.
Thank Goodness we have not had a single problem with ours as of today.
I have followed this forum as a guest for a while and the thread regarding the shower handle just kept bugging me because like so many others I found it irritating.
I had a Price Pfister (Pasadena Series) mixing valve in the attic and figured I'd give it a try. If you don't mind frustration, scrapes and bruises it can be done, but I had to cut a notch in a 1x4 stud right behind the mixing valve in order to get the new one in. This is a tremendous improvement since it has a turn handle and an anti scalding disc, so once it's set all you do is open it all the way and no more boiling hot or ice cold shower. This was definitely a well worth upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Valve from behind.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	53107   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Valve in Shower.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	53108  
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #18

Sorry for the messed up pictures.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #19

Great job Cypressloser! I would have made a change if I had one laying around like you did. For now I am satisfied with changing the handle to one that does not stick out as far.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #20

Thanks, trust me it was a PITA to get the old one out, they must have built the trailer around the shower, seriously. To get the new mixing valve in I added about 10 - 12" to the hot and cold hose to be able to make the connections through the access hole.
The real challenge was the braided hose from the exit port into the shower to keep it from twisting.
I just realize that the pic. on the top shows the back of the old valve, I will have to go back later and snap a pic. of the new one.
I'm so glad I made the upgrade, what I like the most is that you can turn the water on and off with your eyes closed and get the right water temperature every time.

Tags
show, shower