Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2016, 07:43 PM   #1

Slide out flooring

We just discovered neither of our living room slide out floors have a vapor barrier. Also the wood is cut too short. Both items have led to rotting. We were looking under the slide and noticed mushrooms growing out of the floor! Our Trilogy is totally out of warranty but we feel Forest River should be responsible since they neglected to put a vapor barrier on the floor. We did not check during the initial year to see if we had vapor barriers; we didn't check to see if we had a black tank either. Some things you just figure a company would do.

This posting is to notify all of you to check for your own flooring. Also for opinions: should we pursue Forest River to get this repaired?
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirds2831 View Post
We just discovered neither of our living room slide out floors have a vapor barrier. Also the wood is cut too short. Both items have led to rotting. We were looking under the slide and noticed mushrooms growing out of the floor! Our Trilogy is totally out of warranty but we feel Forest River should be responsible since they neglected to put a vapor barrier on the floor. We did not check during the initial year to see if we had vapor barriers; we didn't check to see if we had a black tank either. Some things you just figure a company would do.

This posting is to notify all of you to check for your own flooring. Also for opinions: should we pursue Forest River to get this repaired?
Trying to fully understand the vapor barrier...internal or external? Do you have pictures you can post? Was your rig really missing its black tank?
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:30 PM   #3

I think the commenter was just saying that a buyer shouldn't have to verify that something as basic as a water seal to protect the flooring from outdoor weather was installed by the mfg. my opinion is you could never verify enough in buying an RV. You will always be surprised after your purchase by some corner(s) that were cut in order to save production cost. Even if the rig cost a million dollars they still cut corners and leave you high and dry after the sale--they ALL do it, every RV mfg.

In this case I think you would be fighting a losing battle as there are little to no regulations on how RVs must be built, so the requirement to install the weather shielding or vapor barrier as it was referred to is non-existent and therefore could not be pursued legally with any chance of success.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:56 AM   #4

What do you have to lose in asking Matt to fix the issue? The worst he could say is no, but he could say yes. I would ask. I would have the work done at the factory. I think your chances of getting it fixed as a good faith gesture is better by taking it there. Just my opinion.

Pictures would be helpful. What did you do/remove to see there was no vapor barrier installed?

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:30 PM   #5

The RV is at the dealer now waiting for an estimate. It is easily visible there is no protection. The bedroom slide has one but neither of the other two. After we get the estimate, we plan to speak with Matt on Monday or Tuesday and will offer to bring it to Indiana. May have to wait until the snow is over though.

I was just wondering if all the other Trilogys have water protection. When it is repaired, I will sure miss having mushrooms for our salads (just joking - life is short - you have to find smiles in diversity).

We definitely have a black tank - my point was a consumer cannot check for everything.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:23 PM   #6

After five long weeks out of the Trilogy, we picked up our fiver today. Our dealer is so terrific; we were given a 33' travel trailer to live in while the Trilogy was being repaired!

The floor was replaced and now has a nice, shiny black vapor barrier attached. Cost us $3500 - talked to Matt Swihart twice but he refused to pay one penny. That was a big disappointment to us on the part of Forest River. They could have at least furnished the floor itself.

We saw the old floor after it was removed - I am surprised our recliners didn't fall through the water-rotted floor.

Just wanted to bring a conclusion to our problem.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:55 PM   #7

Wow, to say I am disappointed in Dynamax would be an understatement. Nice to hear your dealer stepped up and helped you out.

Glad you have the Trilogy back. Better to buy the mushrooms at the grocery store than picking them from your floor

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring, slide, slide out