Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #1

Smelly fresh water

We are full timing and we're hooked up to city water. Sometimes when we turn on the bathroom or kitchen faucet, the water has a strong rotten egg smell. I can't figure this out since we're on city water. Anybody know why we get the smell sometimes?
Thumper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Most likely coming from the water heater ( hot water). If there are minerals in the water, when heated in a closed space such as WH they will react with bacteria in the water and cause sulfur dioxide to form. Drain and flush water heater and check anode rod if you have one. This occurs most often when the water sits for some time in the hot water tank.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Most likely coming from the water heater ( hot water). If there are minerals in the water, when heated in a closed space such as WH they will react with bacteria in the water and cause sulfur dioxide to form. Drain and flush water heater and check anode rod if you have one. This occurs most often when the water sits for some time in the hot water tank.
X 2 I drain mine after every trip but full timing a little different but should drain and flush once in a while. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:52 AM   #4

I did drain and flush the water heater. I also put in a new anode rod. I did this Friday and so far, no bad smells. The anode rod was not very bad but I replaced it anyway. It just seems strange the wh is the cause of the smell. We're fulltiming so the water never sits for more than a few hours and the smell came from the cold water as much as the hot. Thanks for the tips and hopefully that was the culprit.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #5

We have that problem too when we stay at campgrounds that use well water. High iron content and dirt in the water kills our water filter in a matter of a few days. This is definitely true at the KOA in Union, Illinois. I always wash out my water heater and change filters when leaving well-water campgrounds.

We have a sever-stage water filter system (with Reverse Osmosis) and that is the only water we use to drink. The campground cold water is just passed through the whole house filter for showers and doing dishes.

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:34 PM   #6

We took our second trip in 2016 (new to us)sunseeker motorized and had same issue but only when we turn on coldwater. Have nvr filled holding tank, tried to do that when we returned and couldn't determine which of the 2 hookups were for tank, one is by outdoor shower and water hose fits it, the other is a different size with no connection option. It was not the blackwater flush connection though. I've read rving for idiots but.....any assistance is appreciated. Everything I read said flush hot water tank and I will try that .
dmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:43 PM   #7

I most likely is coming from "city" water that is actually on a well.
I lived in a house with a well and we had that smell from the water.
As other stated, it can come from the hot water tank, but since you said it was when hooked up to "city" water, I would say with 99% confidence that is where the smell is coming from.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:23 PM   #8

Our house in South Carolina back in the early 90s had well water that smelled like sulfur (rotten eggs) and there wasn't really anything that could be done about it back then. I'm sure today there are fancy water filtration systems a person could install to mitigate that, but at the time we just learned to tune out the smell to the best of our abilities and not worry about it.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:02 PM   #9

Sanitize water system. 1 cup bleach put in tank, then fill full with water, turn on water pump and run through whole system. Let set 3 hrs. Then flush out with fresh water.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:53 AM   #10

Since I'm hooked up to city water, I don't think the water goes into the fresh water tank.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper7 View Post
Since I'm hooked up to city water, I don't think the water goes into the fresh water tank.
Grab a big cup, go outside, disconnect the City Water at CG's hydrant, fill the cup with water, take a sniff. That will tell you if it's the CG water.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water