Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 01:48 PM   #1

Surge Protection & 50A Anaconda hardwired on a reel

Before I get too far in planning, it seems natural to query the Pros.

The goal is two part:
-Determine the best solution and install a progressive industries internal surge unit, to replace the plug-n-play current option
-Select the best wiring solution & reel option to hardwire the 50A power cord to the Trilogy into retractable storage

Please share any solutions, do or do not thoughts as well.

God Bless,
David & Cathy

2015 Trilogy 38FL
2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW
Trailersaver TS-3 Hitch on B&W Platform
dwilhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #2

BTW, We do have an Onan 5500 generator onboard our Trilogy. Thanks in advance for your support.

God Bless,
David & Cathy

2015 Trilogy 38FL
Old 07-25-2016, 02:50 PM   #3

David,

I have installed the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C in my Trilogy. I located it in the basement. On the curb side of the Trilogy, open the basement access door. Then remove all of the screws from the large panel, to your left as you look into the basement. This panel will reveal the back of the power distribution panel (power & fuses), and you will probably see the transfer switch that is wired in for the generator.

You would need to purchase the electrical wiring to allow the insertion of the EMS-HW50C. Check the power cable markings on the installed wiring and then go to a home center or hardware store and purchase enough to connect the EMS-HW50C to the Transfer Switch.

You'll wire it so that shore power enters the EMS-HW50C first, then it's output goes to the input of the transfer switch, and it's output goes to the power distribution box. Easiest way to do this is to open the transfer switch and disconnect the INPUT wires. Take those input wires and use them as the INPUT to the EMS-HW50C.

The length of electrical wiring you bought would then go from the OUTPUT of the EMS-HW50C to the INPUT of the Transfer Switch.

By using the EMS-HW50C, you have full time protection at all campgrounds and you don't have to worry about a portable one, plugged into the campground box, to be stolen. Power from the generator is conditioned so you don't need to run it through the EMS-HW50C.

The EMS-HW50C also comes with a digital display that you can mount anywhere you want within reason (see documents from Progressive Industries). I drilled a hole in my Customer Interface panel and then I ran the display cable up to and through the hole in the Customer Interface panel. I mounted the display so it was easy for me to see.

Progressive Industries also has an option to mount a second display panel, with a display selection switch, to select which display is active. I mounted both of these boxes in my basement, on the Docking Station panel (by battery disconnect switch). This allows me to immediately see the input power to the camper after connecting shore power.

In the one the attached pictures, you can see the inside of the EMS-HW50C and the other one shows the customer interface panel. On the left bottom corner of the panel you can see the display for the surge protector. I don't have a picture of the one installed at the docking station but will get one taken tonight an uploaded.

I also included attachments for MOD74, which is what I used as the beginning stages of my installation (even though it was on a Class A). In one of the pictures for that mod you would see the optional second display and selector switch. I don't recall where I found that mod document (it's not mine but don't know whom deserves the credit) but it sure was easy for me to replicate it on my Trilogy.

I also attached a catalog from Progressive Industries. In the catalog look for the EMS-HW50C and EMS-RDS optional equipment. Check prices on Amazon, usually the cheapest.

Of course, if you are not familiar with electrical work, do not attempt on your own. Pay a professional and save your life!

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	201406 - Buckley AFB, CO - Trilogy - 027.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	115269   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140916 - Trilogy - Customer Interface Panel - 005.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	115270  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MOD-074.pdf (390.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: pdf Surge Protector Catalog.pdf (342.5 KB, 43 views)
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:19 PM   #4

John,

Wow, thanks for the step by step. Our Trilogy 38FL is laid out a little different, though most every mention is doable. I'm 99% sure the PI solution is the winner, though haven't completely ruled out the Shoreline/TRC. The Shoreline cord reel install will probably take place at the same time.

I'll take some pics of my layout and PM them when prepping for the install. Great thought on the electrician, though I feel capable of accomplishing this one. My bad back and 6'5" frame are my primary constraints, but I will be cautious and certain.

Again, much appreciated!

God Bless,
David & Cathy

2015 Trilogy 38FL
Old 07-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #5

Keep us posted on the Shoreline/TRC project. I'd like to have one installed in mine too but can't seem to find any info.

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Old 07-26-2016, 10:40 PM   #6

David, I promised you another picture for today of the two remote boxes for the EMS-HW50C. In this picture, you can see the readout display of 119v. This is the same information that is displayed inside the Customer Interface panel.

Name:	IMG_0560.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	115479

The next picture shows a black box with a green light on it (under battery switch). This box lets you decide if you want the display in the Customer Interface panel to show the information, or the one I installed in the Docking Station.

Name:	IMG_0561.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	115480

I love the system and it's ability to display the information upstairs in the Trilogy or outside when I am working.

Let me know if you have any questions!

John
Old 07-27-2016, 06:45 AM   #7

John,

Nicely done! Very much like your attention to detail.

In considering the additional readout, the choice was nearly no. Your pics and notes have swayed me, it's a no brainier to do it.

Just got word from Rob @ MoRRyde, our Trilogy is finished. It's tearing at me, can't make the return trip till next Wednesday. (Volunteer Fire Fighter training, big group to visit this weekend, one of our four sons coming home for 4 days). I'll pick up the Trilogy next Thursday and bring her back to middle Tennessee.

Especially after seeing Lenny's post with no friction lining remaining on the brake shoe platforms, I'm a bit giddy about the new Kodiak disc brakes.

Sorry for rambling, and thanks again for leading me through your fine EMS install!

God Bless,
David & Cathy

2015 Trilogy 38FL