Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #1

The KW1 Water Filter Myth

I called the phone number at Forest River, listed on the KW1 filter or “proprietary FR1 Forest River water filter” and spoke with a FR water filter representative, to remain nameless. I was trying to validate a couple of Forum posts that claim that this is a best in class RV specific filter. I was really trying to justify in my mind, why I should pay such a steep price for a replacement water filter. I had two questions that I thought would be most relevant as well as fair industry standards for benchmarking:
1. Gallons per minute of water flow (GPM).
2. Filter micron level

For those not familiar with “microns”, a micron level is the number of micron sizes that the filter can eliminate of a contamination. The micron level is between .5 and 5 microns. A “micron” is a unit of measurement of the size of a particular unit of water contamination. A small pebble has a much higher micron size number than the microscopic bacteria that might be in your drinking water.

The KW1 has a 30 micron level. This level is common with the least expensive filters and does little more than remove large sediment.

A micron level of 30 is often selected to promote in increase in water flow which makes sense considering the larger the holes in the filter, the easier it should be for the water to pass through.
Unfortunately, this is not the case for the KW1; its GPM is 2.5, very poor.

A GE filter, with a carbon 5 micron filter, is 4.0 GPM. Freebirds2831 recent post speaks of their newly installed GE with a 30 micron filter (same as KW1) coming in at around 9.0 GPM and rave about the improved water flow over the KW1.

The cost of a fully adequate whole house unit ranges between $20.00 and $40.00. Some even include your first filter. The GE unit referenced is $39.95 at HD. Two packs of filters range from $7.00 to $12.00. The cost of just one KW1 replacement filter is $29.95 plus tax and shipping = $40.00.

Call me crazy, but I like the idea of paying less and get greatly improved water flow in the process.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I replaced mine with the following and could not be happier!!!

Pentek 158649 1/2" 3G Slim Line 10" Clear Housing Only $19.35

and these filter cartridges....

DuPont Whole House 10-inch Carbon Filter WFPFC8002 Only $6.89

5 gpm and 5 micron
$27 for housing and cartridges!!
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #3

Just because your filter turns brown after some time doesn’t mean it is time to replace it. It means it is working and in many cases the brown coloring is caused by the iron in the water. No big deal.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Just because your filter turns brown after some time doesn’t mean it is time to replace it. It means it is working and in many cases the brown coloring is caused by the iron in the water. No big deal.
Agreed, on a Trilogy, you know it is time when the Tecma Toilet will not function/fill properly as a result of reduced water flow, that is caused by a spent or clogged water filter.

Manufacturers months of use estimates mean nothing. Of more relevance is gallons of water usage...that flows through the filter. Many of the Trilogy owners are full-timers or extended stay users.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #5

A GE filter, with a carbon 5 micron filter, is 4.0 GPM. Freebirds2831 recent post speaks of their newly installed GE with a 30 micron filter (same as KW1) coming in at around 9.0 GPM and rave about the improved water flow over the KW1.

We are still raving about the waterflow increase. However the 9 gpm was a website error. After a week, we are sooo glad we changed. Recommend it to all Trilogy owners.

JD
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:20 AM   #6
rsl

I installed a whole rv system in mine. I opted for a double filter canister set up as we were using the water in formula for our infant. Any way I wanted to make sure flow rate was not an issue so I went with a large canister setup as opposed to small ones. I found a place online that specialized in rv water filters and rv water systems. I spoke on the phone with the company owner for over an hour asking setup, flow, health, longevity questions etc. The owner was more then willing to spend the time with me. A few weeks after receiving the order I even got a phone call from him to make sure I got it setup ok and was happy.

Mod please feel free to remove this sentence if I cannot post this part, I have no affiliation with them just a happy customer. The place I bought my setup from was rvwaterfilterstore.com
Old 01-24-2014, 08:14 AM   #7

The KW-1 filter is simply made for FR to enhance their profitability via the consumable you have to purchase from FR - the water filter. People hate having to buy a filter from only 1 source. They don't like the ratchet tabs design as they break them, don't tighten them correctly and have the filter housing fall off, etc. Making money via irritating your customer is stupid game in my book.

Replacing the entire KW filter assembly is easy and that is the route many owners are going. PUR (not WaterPUR) is the brand I would go with as it uses widely available filters. Original WaterPur Water Filters and WaterPur Replacement Water Filters WaterPUR Company CC1-10-CLW is the label on the early Columbus rigs before they switched to the KW-1 series. Generic OEM replacement filters worked in the WaterPur brand also.
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #8

Unless you have actually seen the filter cut open and witnessed the "other filters" (some say to replace monthly, figure that into your cost analysis) a $30 is not so bad. Also check to see what the filter actually filters out, is it a taste and sediment filter; is it a whole house type filter doing much the same, is it a filter which really filters out contaminants like bacteria and microbes such as giradria. No thanks, I get plenty of flow and actually like the KW1. also, won't a smaller filter design in microns reduce the gmp? If not, then how does one get higher gmp with holes 6X smaller? Science will enlighten you.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
Unless you have actually seen the filter cut open and witnessed the "other filters" (some say to replace monthly, figure that into your cost analysis) a $30 is not so bad. Also check to see what the filter actually filters out, is it a taste and sediment filter; is it a whole house type filter doing much the same, is it a filter which really filters out contaminants like bacteria and microbes such as giradria. No thanks, I get plenty of flow and actually like the KW1. also, won't a smaller filter design in microns reduce the gmp? If not, then how does one get higher gmp with holes 6X smaller? Science will enlighten you.
Science will enlighten you, but reading is a fundamental.

Per the post below, the KW1 is a 30 micron, the lowest rating amongst all filters. It is only good for sediment removal.

The fact that you are only getting 2.5 gallons per minute of water flow from a 30 micron filter should be a red flag. A 30 micron filter by design has larger holes to let more fluid and other things you don’t want to pass through. A preference for those that have additional filters on board that clean up drinking water.

You should be asking, “why am I only getting 2.5 GPM with a 30 micron KW1, when other brands 5 micron filters are getting 4-5 GPM?” The KW1 lasts no longer than the competition…all get 10,000 to 15,000 gallons of flow, but costs 6 times the price to replace… with poor water flow…very enlightening.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #10

OK, however I have no flow problem. I have flushed out all my lines and fixtures, which helped a bunch (scientific term). I see the KW1 (if you look at the waterpur.com website there is much more info) as a better filter. I have seen/cut into other filter as well as the KW1 and the amount of filter medium is very apparent. Having seen other filter dissolve into a slushy mass makes me not want to change, IMHO.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #11

I understand some posts are opinions and should be verified if you question the content before acting on them. I make an effort to purchase only “quality” American made products from American companies whenever I can, so I wanted further clarification on this subject. I contacted Dr. Ronald Martin of Original WaterPur Water Filters and WaterPur Replacement Water Filters at sales@waterpur.com to inquire about the products KW1 and FR1. The following are my questions and the answers I received:

Thank you for your questions and for forwarding the inaccurate post about our product. Questions like yours allow us to correct misconceptions and to remedy the untruths that are posted, either by malice of competitors or a misunderstanding of information.

1) MADE IN THE USA? Our FR1 line is made in Phoenix, AZ.

2) IS THE KW1 & FR1 THE SAME FILTER? The KW1 is the cartridge. The FR1 is the housing. FV-FRKW1 is an item number used internally by Forest River. It is the KW1 cartridge.

3) WHAT IS THE MICRON LEVEL FOR THE KW1 FILTER? The KW1 is five microns. Micron rating has nothing to do with the quality of the filter, but rather the size of inclusions one wants to remove. Many filters accomplish their sediment removal (micron filtration) by wrapping cellulose (paper or cardboard) around an inner tube. If they use carbon, it is usually a few grams of granular carbon (carbon dust) impregnated or sprinkled on this cellulose. Our filters are solid certified green carbon compressed into a solid block. If you cut one in half, you will see the difference. Many other manufacturers use carbon from any available source, such as coal (anthracite) mines. Some advertise coconut carbon which is made from burning coconut trees. In our process, the coconut shells are used after the coconut meat has been removed. The trees remain alive and well to produce additional fruit. Where others use open pits to burn and make their carbon, our shells are burned in closed crucibles, where the heat and steam are captured to run a generator which provides electricity for the plant and significantly reduces harmful green house gas emissions. This process produces a carbon having more micro pores compared to other types of carbon and a unique binder system delivering a product with superior adsorption capacity and kinetcic dynamics. Because of contamination from "fracking" and the concern for chemicals in our water, we have chosen this more expensive carbon and manufacturing process to have a finished product with a high affinity for Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs). The micron rating tells you what size particles the cartridge removes (the human eye with 20/20 vision cannot see smaller than 20 microns, but the type of carbon and the amount of carbon are the determinants for chemical/voc removal.

4) GALLONS PER MINUTE? The KW1 is rated at 2.5 gallons per minute. It’s at the top of its class for a five micron carbon block filter. Consider that each water fixture (lavatory faucet, kitchen sink faucet, toilet, showerhead, etc. is limited by code to 1 gpm. This filter will supply the shower at full force, the kitchen sink at full force, and still have sufficient capacity to wash your hands in the bathroom sink, all at the same time. Filters that flow at 4 gpm and 9 gpm do not exist without going to very large filters that would not fit in an RV. How can they even make this 9 gpm measurement? Again, they would have to have 9 bathrooms, kitchens, etc flowing at full capacity to consume 9 gpm. (A hose bib or water connection at a camp site could not supply that much and you would fill a 40 gallon holding tank in four minutes.

5) COMPARE A FILTER PURCHASED AT A “BIG BOX” STORE TO YOURS? Filters at Home Depot costing $7-12 would be the GE FXUSC. They are made of pleated paper. They remove no chemicals, tastes or odor. They MUST be replaced after 3 months because the paper begins to disintegrate. Those fibers will then flow to your hot water heater and stick and burn on the inside walls. Again, it offers no protection other than sediment removal.

6) IS THERE A REASON THE KW1 IS NOT LISTED ON YOUR WEBSITE? We supply the KW1 for the sole use of Forest River, because they wanted a product that was better than the standard. Therefore, Forest River was the most obvious distributor. However, the demand has grown so much for the cartridge that it will soon be on our website to help ease the shipping demand. Within the week, we expect to be shipping within 24-48 hours of the order being placed. The KW1 is made exclusively for us by an American company. We could not find a source for certified green carbon in the U.S. so the carbon is produced outside the U.S. but it is NOT from Taiwan or China. The KW1 has been awarded the Water Quality Association Gold Seal.

Personal statement by Dr. Ronald Martin: “Our filters were especially designed to meet the unique demands of an RV, including limited space, length of service, cost of operation and the varying types of water that we encounter as we travel in our RV. We are not a corporate giant making something cheap to put on the shelves of discount DIY stores that can be adapted to an RV. Forest River has been using our products since 1999. We are not the cheapest piece on the shelf, but we are the most cost effective, with most families using one cartridge for an entire 12 months. With that said, I know there are exceptions. Once near Shipshewana, I ruined a filter in 5 days. At first I was upset, but then I realized that that filth was not in my RV system and it wasn’t in my stomach. “

Timbren & Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
sonic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic2 View Post
I understand some posts are opinions and should be verified if you question the content before acting on them. I make an effort to purchase only “quality” American made products from American companies whenever I can, so I wanted further clarification on this subject. I contacted Dr. Ronald Martin of Original WaterPur Water Filters and WaterPur Replacement Water Filters at sales@waterpur.com to inquire about the products KW1 and FR1. The following are my questions and the answers I received:

Thank you for your questions and for forwarding the inaccurate post about our product. Questions like yours allow us to correct misconceptions and to remedy the untruths that are posted, either by malice of competitors or a misunderstanding of information.

1) MADE IN THE USA? Our FR1 line is made in Phoenix, AZ.

2) IS THE KW1 & FR1 THE SAME FILTER? The KW1 is the cartridge. The FR1 is the housing. FV-FRKW1 is an item number used internally by Forest River. It is the KW1 cartridge.

3) WHAT IS THE MICRON LEVEL FOR THE KW1 FILTER? The KW1 is five microns. Micron rating has nothing to do with the quality of the filter, but rather the size of inclusions one wants to remove. Many filters accomplish their sediment removal (micron filtration) by wrapping cellulose (paper or cardboard) around an inner tube. If they use carbon, it is usually a few grams of granular carbon (carbon dust) impregnated or sprinkled on this cellulose. Our filters are solid certified green carbon compressed into a solid block. If you cut one in half, you will see the difference. Many other manufacturers use carbon from any available source, such as coal (anthracite) mines. Some advertise coconut carbon which is made from burning coconut trees. In our process, the coconut shells are used after the coconut meat has been removed. The trees remain alive and well to produce additional fruit. Where others use open pits to burn and make their carbon, our shells are burned in closed crucibles, where the heat and steam are captured to run a generator which provides electricity for the plant and significantly reduces harmful green house gas emissions. This process produces a carbon having more micro pores compared to other types of carbon and a unique binder system delivering a product with superior adsorption capacity and kinetcic dynamics. Because of contamination from "fracking" and the concern for chemicals in our water, we have chosen this more expensive carbon and manufacturing process to have a finished product with a high affinity for Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs). The micron rating tells you what size particles the cartridge removes (the human eye with 20/20 vision cannot see smaller than 20 microns, but the type of carbon and the amount of carbon are the determinants for chemical/voc removal.

4) GALLONS PER MINUTE? The KW1 is rated at 2.5 gallons per minute. It’s at the top of its class for a five micron carbon block filter. Consider that each water fixture (lavatory faucet, kitchen sink faucet, toilet, showerhead, etc. is limited by code to 1 gpm. This filter will supply the shower at full force, the kitchen sink at full force, and still have sufficient capacity to wash your hands in the bathroom sink, all at the same time. Filters that flow at 4 gpm and 9 gpm do not exist without going to very large filters that would not fit in an RV. How can they even make this 9 gpm measurement? Again, they would have to have 9 bathrooms, kitchens, etc flowing at full capacity to consume 9 gpm. (A hose bib or water connection at a camp site could not supply that much and you would fill a 40 gallon holding tank in four minutes.

5) COMPARE A FILTER PURCHASED AT A “BIG BOX” STORE TO YOURS? Filters at Home Depot costing $7-12 would be the GE FXUSC. They are made of pleated paper. They remove no chemicals, tastes or odor. They MUST be replaced after 3 months because the paper begins to disintegrate. Those fibers will then flow to your hot water heater and stick and burn on the inside walls. Again, it offers no protection other than sediment removal.

6) IS THERE A REASON THE KW1 IS NOT LISTED ON YOUR WEBSITE? We supply the KW1 for the sole use of Forest River, because they wanted a product that was better than the standard. Therefore, Forest River was the most obvious distributor. However, the demand has grown so much for the cartridge that it will soon be on our website to help ease the shipping demand. Within the week, we expect to be shipping within 24-48 hours of the order being placed. The KW1 is made exclusively for us by an American company. We could not find a source for certified green carbon in the U.S. so the carbon is produced outside the U.S. but it is NOT from Taiwan or China. The KW1 has been awarded the Water Quality Association Gold Seal.

Personal statement by Dr. Ronald Martin: “Our filters were especially designed to meet the unique demands of an RV, including limited space, length of service, cost of operation and the varying types of water that we encounter as we travel in our RV. We are not a corporate giant making something cheap to put on the shelves of discount DIY stores that can be adapted to an RV. Forest River has been using our products since 1999. We are not the cheapest piece on the shelf, but we are the most cost effective, with most families using one cartridge for an entire 12 months. With that said, I know there are exceptions. Once near Shipshewana, I ruined a filter in 5 days. At first I was upset, but then I realized that that filth was not in my RV system and it wasn’t in my stomach. “

Dr. Ronald Martin of Original WaterPur Water Filters and WaterPur Replacement Water Filters at sales….sales at Water Pur…no special interest/conflict there.

Forest River water filter rep. contradicts his information, telling me that the KW1 that she is selling every day, for Forest River, is 30 microns. In addition, he is suggesting that GE is misrepresenting their GPM’s. He is definitely wrong regarding GE not make a carbon filter. You can see them for yourself at HD.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #13

I don`t know exactly which unit I have, but I have tried a filter with the higher filter rating, lower number and I have very little flow out of anything in my trailer. I only use the "whole house" filter if I know I will be using my freshwater tank, which was the last 2 years when we hit the state parks a few times. this year I will be getting an in line filter for the hose.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:53 PM   #14

If the KW1 is such a fine filter, why did they put that tit on the top and render the housing not usable for the standard 10” filters? This is simply to stop all of us from purchasing competitive filters locally. I agree the KW1 is a good filter but good filters of equal value can be found at half the price on line. I personally don’t care for not having the option of purchasing filters I want as replacements. I took my filter out and discarded it. I will use a Camco inline filter this season and bring water from home (RO system) for drinking and cooking.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:18 PM   #15

Dr. Martin of Waterpur's reply above states that code limits faucets, etc to 1gpm. This can't be correct as my new Oxygenics shower head clearly states it is 2gpm on the front of the package. If the KW1 is rated at 2.5gpm I can only assume that is with a brand new filter. After a little bit of use it will certainly drop below 2.5gpm and be barely able to keep up with the flow of one shower head.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:37 PM   #16
Denver, CO

The guy sound like an infomercial on TV.

The trees remain alive and well to produce additional fruit. ???

I thought the carbon was from the coconuts not the trees; Really Seriously. I sure their competitors cut down the whole tree to make their activated carbon. UNBELIEVABLE.

Where others use open pits to burn and make their carbon, our shells are burned in closed crucibles, where the heat and steam are captured to run a generator which provides electricity for the plant and significantly reduces harmful green house gas emissions.???

Gross oversimplification and typical infomercial green BULL. That stuff is pure hogwash and neoscience.

THE REALITY is that activated carbon is a very poor filter material but a good absorber of VOC's. Paper pleated or other media filters are very good sediment filters but poor absorbers of VOC's.

The best RV filter's I've seen are made by Camco and combine a polypropylene outer layer for sediment and an Activated Carbon core. The are called EVO, I think. They used to make a ceramic filter called the CX90 that was even better than that but I don't think they are available anymore.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #17

I am opting to change my FR1 for a two cartridge system. My original KW1 only lasted 6 weeks.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forest River Forums mobile app
gauchoverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #18

Quick stop at Costco and two cases of bottled water. I know, bad, bad, not green. Only used for coffee and cooking. And for the dogs.
Don't sterilize the tanks, nor worry about the filter.
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Workin on my Curmudgeon badge
rapiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #19
Denver, CO

In actuality, none of these systems do ANYTHING about the dissolved solids in the water. and most of them DO filter out the bacteria and cysts that may make you sick.

If you REALLY want the best best water, then you HAVE to use a RO system and only for your cooking and drinking water.

While they are LOTS of specs on all this. Most of it doesn't have any impact on the the quality of the water. Even the worst filters remove most of the harmful stuff and most systems we tie into have NO harmful stuff.

Lots of hysteria and unfounded fears feed this stuff, and I would not be suprized if some of it came from from or is amplified by the filter mfg.

THAT is the real science.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:36 PM   #20

KW1 WATER FILTER $28.99 DELIVERED!
After reading all the threads regarding the KW1 filter and where to buy and where not to buy.... I found the filter for $28.99 and that included shipping! The company is called Hanna Trailer Supply and their web address: hannarv.com and the link is for the KW1 filter is: The Water Pur Company KW1 10-inch Water Filter - New Forest River RV Water Filter | Hanna Trailer Supply Oak Creek, Wisconsin

I hope this helps some other camper enjoy saving a few dollars that can be spent on a camping trip!!

Happy Camping To All
Studmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter