Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2016, 05:04 PM   #1

Trilogy 38RE bedroom slide issue

Getting close to dewinterizing, and when I walked under the bedroom slide I noticed something interesting:

Front roller:

View of underside:

Rear roller:

Underside:

So, obviously this will need to be addressed sooner rather than later. Dealership is of no help, as per usual.

Trailer is 2015MY, was purchased new in July 2015.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:59 PM   #2

I would contact Matt Swihart ( >> Mr. Matt Swihart <MSwihart@forestriverinc.com>) and send him pictures.

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hagen View Post
I would contact Matt Swihart ( >> Mr. Matt Swihart <MSwihart@forestriverinc.com>) and send him pictures.

John

Thank you very much! I am discussing options with Mr Swihart right now! Very fast response.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:16 PM   #4

Please keep us informed. I have the same issue.
gauchoverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:58 PM   #5

The problem is the backers are not installed in the same place as the rollers. So the load is not evenly distributed, and the filon breaks, as well as the wood floor. The fix suggested was to have strips of metal installed on the underside of the slide. Slightly wider than the roller, and running the full length of travel. This should distribute the load and prevent further damage.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:40 AM   #6

So Lenny,

Will this fix adequately absorb the weight and distribute the weight? While in and out? If so, what structure is above the metal strip to do so?

God Bless,
David & Cathy

2015 Trilogy 38FL
2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW
Trailersaver TS-3 Hitch on B&W Platform
dwilhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:43 AM   #7

That is exactly what we are debating now. Sounds more like hiding the problem than fixing it to me.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #8

I am not a engineer by any means. Just thinking and considering the future. While in tow and in use, seems a platform is required to support the load. That part is more easily consumed. The deteriorated structure that exists today; what is the remedy for that? Considering the fruit of the damage already done without repair, seems a bit unnerving!

We hope this will be resolved in a manner that delivers confidence in the Trilogy both now and long into the future.

God Bless,
David & Cathy

2015 Trilogy 38FL
2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW
Trailersaver TS-3 Hitch on B&W Platform
dwilhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #9

Picked up the trailer today. The end fix was 6" wide strips of 1/8" Aluminum plate epoxied to the underside of the slide. They did all 5 rollers to keep the load even.

I did express my concern that this was a bandaid over the issue. I was assured that this was more than what they had done on previous trailers that had this same issue, and they were still rolling down the highway problem free. I guess only time will tell for certain.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:26 AM   #10

Where did you have it done?
gauchoverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:07 PM   #11

Luckily I have a service only RV center local to me. Very experienced fellow. He talked to Dynamax and lined everything up. Forest River was only willing to reimburse me if I took it to a Forest River dealer. And because I do not trust the selling dealer to come within 100 ft of our trailer, taking it to another FR dealer is a huge pain. Instead of taking the opportunity to build a relationship with a new customer, they just make it so difficult that you don't want to go back. Quite an industry, but yet sales still continue.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:50 PM   #12

I just saw your pictures in this thread. Do you have the washer and dryer in your 38RE? I do not have the washer/dryer machines in mine, and the bottom of the slide is perfect.. I just had A&E slide toppers put on all 3 slides, then Camped for a week. It made a huge difference in the comfort level inside the camper during the heat of the day, the toppers helped greatly in keeping the unit cooler. Just curious questions since our units are very simular in layout. Kevin.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:54 PM   #13

I do have a separate washer and dryer in that slide. Definitely some added weight there.

Tags
bed, bedroom slide, roo, slide