Old 05-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #1

Trilogy Fire

So in the last 24 hours we had a fire on our Trilogy, caused by the LED light components on the front of the rig. Since we read about a couple of people having these catch fire last year, we called John Armstrong last fall to inquire about it. Since our rig was 7 [months] old at the time he assured us that if it hadn't happened by then we were safe! WRONG!

Ours is a 2013 Trilogy 3650RL! This is the final issue for me. I'm so over Trilogy!!

Sherry

Old 05-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestWardHo View Post
So in the last 24 hours we had a fire on our Trilogy, caused by the LED light components on the front of the rig. Since we read about a couple of people having these catch fire last year, we called John Armstrong last fall to inquire about it. Since our rig was 7 years old at the time he assured us that if it hadn't happened by then we were safe! WRONG!

Ours is a 2013 Trilogy 3650RL! This is the final issue for me. I'm so over Trilogy!!

Sherry
Sorry to hear this. 7 yr old 2013? How is this possible?

Old 05-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestWardHo View Post
So in the last 24 hours we had a fire on our Trilogy, caused by the LED light components on the front of the rig. Since we read about a couple of people having these catch fire last year, we called John Armstrong last fall to inquire about it. Since our rig was 7 years old at the time he assured us that if it hadn't happened by then we were safe! WRONG!

Sherry
Sherry,
Please share the details on the fire. Where on the LED strip did it start, or was it underneath? Damage to the rig?
Have there been more of this type of issue posted? I can't find any posted on the Forum.
More importantly, what is the factory planning to do about this and/or damage? If caused by faulty or improper wiring during construction, are they going to make is right or force you to your insurance company?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #4

Sorry, I meant 7 MONTHS old at the time we called and asked about getting replacement LED strips for the front of the rig on either side of the pinbox. We had asked because someone on this forum had had and issue and they were told Forest River had changed suppliers and this was no longer an issue.
The factory is taking care of our issue, going to have the front replaced or repaired by a fiberglass expert in Knoxville.
But my concern is that there should be an immediate factory recall on this as it is potentially very dangerous. As I said we're not the first ones.
I'll do my best to post a picture.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:56 PM   #5
Tom & Gayle

We also had a fire on the front right side of our trilogy 3650 RL lest year, from the digital light strip. Our Trilogy was only 3 months old at the time. Luckily my son was standing right next to the lights when I turned them on. No damage was done. We traveled to the Dynamax factory to have them replaced. John Armstrong said water intrusion on the strip caused the strip to short out. They supposedly replaced the strips with a newer version. But actually they looked the same..We got to talking to a few other Trilogy owners that were in for service and when they approached John about the problem he replaced their lights also. John indicated then that they would probably end up replacing a lot of lights. So far we haven't had any more problems but I am Leary every time I turn them on. I check them often when they are on..John did indicate that we were not the first to have that problem. I assumed they were going to recall the lights.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:12 AM   #6

Per the factory today, the CSM was going to talk to engineering and the recall department to find out what the status was on a recall!

Old 05-02-2014, 06:43 AM   #7

Wow, glad it wasn't more damage than that. I'd also file a complaint with the NHTSA about this. There should be a recall to address this. Glad no one was hurt.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #8

Replacing Light Strips

Sorry for all your troubles, but thankful the entire rig did not go up in flames, with you in it. This is very timely for us. I requested and received new light strips, to replace the sun compromised/cracked strips on my 2013 3650RL. I was not planning on replacing them right away, but obviously will do so ASAP.
Anyone had any experience in replacing these? It appears that there is a 3M adhesive strip on the back, just pull out the connection from one end? Is so, which end?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomngayle View Post
We also had a fire on the front right side of our trilogy 3650 RL lest year, from the digital light strip. Our Trilogy was only 3 months old at the time. Luckily my son was standing right next to the lights when I turned them on. No damage was done. We traveled to the Dynamax factory to have them replaced. John Armstrong said water intrusion on the strip caused the strip to short out. They supposedly replaced the strips with a newer version. But actually they looked the same..We got to talking to a few other Trilogy owners that were in for service and when they approached John about the problem he replaced their lights also. John indicated then that they would probably end up replacing a lot of lights. So far we haven't had any more problems but I am Leary every time I turn them on. I check them often when they are on..John did indicate that we were not the first to have that problem. I assumed they were going to recall the lights.
Tonngayle, thanks for reposting. It was your post on this subject last year that alerted us to this issue but after talking to John Armstrong last year we relaxed about it.

With the design engineers and recall department knowing about this last year, it's inexcusable that Forest River took no action.

Seriously, we have loved our 5er in spite of its issues and everywhere we go techs or other RVers comment on it's beauty but I'm so over it now. Giving serious thought to activating the lemon law.

Last week it was completely shot springs on our 1 year old rig. Thank goodness we caught it before we hit the Louisiana highways as they are washboards and that huge storm was following us. Can't help but wonder what would have happened if we had not installed new, bigger tires and it was the tire mounter who caught that issue.

Sherry
Old 05-02-2014, 09:02 PM   #10
Tom & Gayle

Igray,

The wires to the light strips are on the inboard side. You can just peel the strip back from the outboard side. You should be able to pull excess wire out of the hole on the opposite end to splice the wires.. Mine were spliced with crimp type connectors covered with shrink tube..

Tomngayle