Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #1

Trilogy Issues with Household DFI

Any owners familiar with what could be causing my coach to trip my household DFI breakers? I have never had this issue with any other coach. I have tried 15 amp to 30 to 50. I then purchased an adapter to take me from 15 amp directly to 50 amp and still was tripping. I have looked and have nothing turned on the rig, no refrigerator and even the inverter is off. I have tried two household circuits/DFI’s. I have tried with the battery on and battery off. What am I missing?
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Try turning off all breakers in the coach, and then turning them back on 1 by 1 to what trips the home GFI. My bet would be on the water heater element shorting out.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Oklahoma Proud

Try turning the trailer gfci breaker off. Ive heard some instanced were 2 gfci's on one system causes conflicts with the gfci's.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #4

You might have a bad ground in one of them they are all tied together. You might have 3 like my trailer 1 outside, 1 in the kitchen area and 1 in the bath. If you are only tripping the breaker then you have to many loads on the circuit. If it's a bad ground then you will only trip that GFI but that will stop all power to the others. I hope this helps, at least it is a place to start.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #5

Thank you for the help.
I just tried turning off all breakers, but as soon as I plugged it in, we got a clicking in the trailer and tripped the GFI in the house.
I checked the trailer GFI’s, there is one in the bathroom that has a tester, it was not tripped. There are two outlets on the island that say GFI but do not have on on/off tester.
Any other suggestions?
Old 10-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #6

Where and what are you plugging in when it trips? Or will it trip with nothing plugged in as soon as you turn on the breaker?

Old 10-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #7

Also your outlet on the outside should also be on that Circuit. Are you sure your outlets on the island do not have a reset? It can also be the pedestal.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #8

No, the only one with a reset is the bathroom. I am not sure if it is even functioning. It is not tripped but shows no lights, either way. We checked all outside outlets, they are also marked DFI, but like the island, have no reset.

What puzzles me is that we turned off all breakers, still tripped household. We then tried just the trailer DCFI breaker off, same result.

This is a new rig, when we first brought it home, we plugged the long 50 amp cord into an 18 inch adapter and into the household outside DFI, no problems. It wasn't until we moved into the back yard and added a 12 guage 50 foot cord to connect to the 50 amp cord that we ran into problems.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
No, the only one with a reset is the bathroom. I am not sure if it is even functioning. It is not tripped but shows no lights, either way. We checked all outside outlets, they are also marked DFI, but like the island, have no reset.

What puzzles me is that we turned off all breakers, still tripped household. We then tried just the trailer DCFI breaker off, same result.

This is a new rig, when we first brought it home, we plugged the long 50 amp cord into an 18 inch adapter and into the household outside DFI, no problems. It wasn't until we moved into the back yard and added a 12 guage 50 foot cord to connect to the 50 amp cord that we ran into problems.
I think your problem is that you plugged into a another GFI outlet. For some reason that could trip the GFI. If you can try a different place to pick up the power. If I remember right someone else had a problem like that. Are you sure that the 12GA cord is good. Make sure they are wired the same on the legs and ground. If I'm understanding you correctly. It sounds like maybe a short.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Are you sure that the 12GA cord is good. Make sure they are wired the same on the legs and ground. If I'm understanding you correctly. It sounds like maybe a short.
Worked with old cord, but not with new cord. Good place to start is with the new cord.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #11

The 50 amp cord on its own worked. When I moved it to the back yard, I added a 50ft. 12 guage 15 amp to reach the 50 amp cord. I have used the same set up with my last coach, the only difference is that this 50 amp cord is longer. I tested the 15 amp cord last night and it was working.

Where do you think a short could be coming from?
Old 10-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #12

Is your 50 foot 12 gauge extension a home built or store bought? If it's home built, it could miswired at either ends? If it's store bought, I would still check for proper polarity at the female end.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote