Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2015, 11:35 AM   #1

Trilogy Roof Caulking

After more than two years in full Florida sun, I thought it might be a good idea to go ahead and do a re-caulking of the roof fixtures (wipe down with mineral spirits and add caulk). I discovered that most of the original caulking was still pretty good with a few cracks here and there.

The big discovery was the caulking around the skylight. My skylight was one of those that came cracked from the factory and was replaced by the dealer. Unfortunately, the dealer’s re-caulk left a little be desired, very thin with screws beginning to really show themselves.

Also noteworthy and perhaps overkill is the trim between the cap (front and back caps) and the roof. The front of the trim that is painted was in fine shape. What made me a little uncomfortable was the trim to the roof. No caulking there at all, so I went ahead and laid down a bead on the backside of trim, both caps.

It may have been the 90 plus degree heat, but the lap sealant hardened very quickly, so two days later, I went back over it, adding more and spreading it out a little with a putty knife. In all, used 7 tubes for; caps, both fans, skylight, TV antenna and vent.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #2

Good thing you caught it, are you using Dicor?
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:21 PM   #3

5 tubes of Dicor 501 LSW and 2 tubes of Nuflex 311 for direct contact on fiberglass.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #4

Dicor is nasty stuff, got some on my clothes once. Interesting, I was told by a local RV dealer they use Dicor on fiberglass and on rubber roofs, you mind educating me on the Nuflex 311?
Old 05-15-2015, 04:38 PM   #5

Happenstance - When I bought our Trilogy, I was told by the factory that they use the Nuflex and proceeded to order two tubes. The Nuflex is silicone and advertises that is adheres specifically to fiberglass, not that Dicor doesn’t. Knowing that I needed more than two tubes, I decided to use the Nuflex for the new fiberglass roof to trim beads and Dicor on top of the old caulk/lap sealant. For all I know there is no real difference between them…Both are pretty nasty, I used rubber gloves, mineral spirits to get it off my legs. Glad it is nasty, salt air is hell on everything.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #6

You learn something new everyday, thanks for sharing.

Tags
caulk, roo, roof