Old 02-09-2016, 10:50 AM   #11

Be careful on your trip to Elkhart. I-65 & I-69 can be rough. Had the rear axle come loose on our previous trailer, slide back and got caught on the rear spring hanger. Trailer was tracking into the passing lane. Take a jack and some tools in case you run into trouble. Also a big plastic table cloth to spread on the ground for when you crawl under the trailer.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #12

I do hope you have road towing insurance in case something happens on the way there.

Consider a lawsuit, unless you just want to eat the cost.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua40j View Post
If I owned an IPhone.
If you're a 'Droid guy like me there are several good and FREE apps available. I use two, "Spirit Level Plus" and "Protractor" which I can recommend.

Ted
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #14

Thanks, Ted.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:31 PM   #15

Okay sorry it's been a while without update. So I managed to get Matt Swihart with Forest River to start a claim with Dexter Axles. Dexter requested we take the trailer to a service shop to a professional to look at it. So, we took it to Berryland. They agreed that it's not right. Said it looked like the rear axle was trying to shift roadside.

They started dealing with Dexter on our behalf.

So, now Dexter is supposedly sending new springs, clamps and bolts and Berryland will be reinstalling the axles when they arrive.

The real pain is that we keep having to drag this thing back and forth and hand it over to the shop. We are full timers. I drive an hour to work every day to a full time job and upping and moving several times like this and kicking my wife and Twins out with nowhere to go specifically gets old.

Taking it to the shop puts me another half hour even further from work. I have read countless stories where retirees end up having to make trips all over the country to get issues fixed that can take days--even weeks to resolve. Or cases where their long awaited trip ends up with them in a hotel waiting for a shop to repair their unit.

So, I can see why the RV industry loves retirees--because they know that retirees are the only ones that can sit around with nothing to do while these kinds of issues get worked out.

All of this JUST so we can make it at least safe enough to get to Indiana and put a truly safe suspension on. I'm glad they are doing what they are doing, but indeed it is a hassle for sure.

2014 Dynamax Trilogy 37BH
2015 Ram 3500 DRW
Old 02-22-2016, 07:29 PM   #16

kwoodrg,

Like you we have a 2015 Trilogy. We thank you for sharing your experience, as we will should issues arise. Sure hope your repair is the ONE, and the only one necessary to resolve the spring/axle failure. Please keep us up to speed when you have a few minutes. We wish you and yours the very best.

Again, thanks much!

God Bless,
David & Cathy
2015 Silverado 2500HD
2015 Trilogy 38FL
Old 03-07-2016, 10:22 AM   #17

It is incredible what the RV industry gets away with, where Dynamax is among the few on the upper end of the "quality scale". When you purchased your Trilogy you didn't have a choice of axles but upgrading now will give you peace of mind for hopefully a very long time (oh, and the dishes will stay where you put them).
Regarding the rust on the under carriage, most RV dealerships take on the majority of their inventory during the winter months when the roads are snow and salt covered. They receive a quick wash down and get placed on the lot with swirl marks in the clearcoat and rust "everywhere the sun don't shine". We had the condition added to our order that we would refuse delivery if the trailer would be towed from the factory through adverse road or weather conditions and after almost 3 years it still looks brand new.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:45 PM   #18

We have an appointment the week of June 27 to convert to the more-ryde independent suspension system with disc brakes.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #19

Our change out is scheduled for May 18 in Elkhart. Just have to make the 1500 mi trip without a third failure.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 03-17-2016, 08:58 PM   #20

Retamaman, looks like you're up tomorrow. Sure hope all goes very well! Please keep the rest of us in mind, and keep us up to date on the performance of your suspension swap. And if you get a chance, take a pic or two to share.

Thanks, David

God Bless,
David & Cathy
2015 Silverado 2500HD
2015 Trilogy 38FL

Tags
suspension