We purchased our Trilogy in June of 2015 new. It had been on the dealer lot for quite a while when we bought it. All in all, we all love the Trilogy and have been full timing in it in the same RV park since we purchased it. The park is about 20 miles from the dealer.
However, it IS a fifth wheel and we do intend to travel with it as we did the Cherokee TT that we had prior to the Trilogy.
Our first real outing in the Trilogy is scheduled for March 24th when we plan to drive about 1000 miles to northwest Missouri.
I have been prepping for this trip since we bought the Trilogy. Purchasing TPMS sensors and other safety related items.
Today I went out and crawled under the Trilogy and was taken aback by the condition of the under carriage and in particular some of the shoddy suspension design and fabrication.
The underside of the Trilogy is covered in rust. It looks like it was pulled through very high water to be honest. Although it's only ever gone 20 miles since "new."
Most concerning was when I spotted leaf spring on the curb side that slipping sideways out from under one another. That it very dangerous and threatens to allow the entire frame to slide right off the leafs and collapse onto rolling tires while in motion.
Lastly, I remembered seeing where the leaf hangers welded to the frame had twisted or sheared off on other Trilogies so I wanted to inspect the condition of mine as I prep to go.
All I can say is wow. The same area where the leafs are slipping on the curbside, you can see that the rearmost spring hanger is bending inward under immense pressure. Then I began to understand. As I looked at the situation I could see that the u-bolt holding the rear curb-side axle on is positioned way to far inward. As a result it is slowly (or quickly) forcing the leafs to pull inward with it as the trailer rides down the road. The pressure is so great that it is beginning to bend that rearmost leaf hanger in. Undoubtedly it will snap the frame weld at some point.
I could see what is going on. It is obvious that the axles are mounted with just a slight road-side outward bias by about a half inch. So the the U-bolts on the road side are fine. The problem is that the way Alco made the axles, there is a brake wire that is in the way preventing the u-bolt from being moved closer toward the wheels on either side or you would crush the wire coming out of the axle.
This is a bad situation as there is really no remedy short of drilling into the axle on the inside of the u-bolt and re-routing the wire through that and then moving the u-bolt outward to properly line up with the frame and hence the leaf hangers.
I am really at a loss. This is not safe to pull at all and now we may have to cancel our trip. The Trilogy is still supposedly under warranty but that means nothing when your only options for local work are reject dealers. This is very unfortunate. I will be contacting Dynamax as quickly as possible to explain this problem and see what they suggest. Honestly, I'd almost rather spend the money and have the whole thing convered to a Mor/Ryde independent suspension but that would have to be done in Indiana and so that is out of the question.
I've included some pics so hopefully you all can follow along with what I'm saying.
In the first pic I tried to show how the frame hanger is bending inward but you just can't really see it in the pic but trust me it is at about a 5° angle.
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 37BH
2015 Ram 3500 DRW