Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #1

Walking on roof

Has anyone been on the roof of their trilogy . I know they don't have a ladder . Just wondering if it's because they don't want people walking on it ?
We are picking ours up on Friday and I wanted to get up and measure for solar panels and don't want to damage roof by walking on it ( 250 lb.).has anyone been up there and was their any issues?
Also has anyone installed a ladder on their trilogy. I asked my dealer and they said they did not make one?
salexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #2

I was just on mine for the first time last month, to check caulking. No issues felt very firm, less give than rubber. The best part was that the caulking on my 2013 was still holding up. During my PDI I asked if there would be any issue with walking on the fiberglass roof and was told no. I also recall having read that initially ladders were not standard due to the height of this design. Doing so might have put additional liability for anyone falling off on Trilogy.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #3

The main issue is that the fiberglass roof is very slippery when wet. With a ladder, we would all assume it was okay to get up there and wash the roof. It is not a good idea to wash the roof other than from the safety of a ladder.

JD
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:22 PM   #4

Trilogy does offer a ladder as an option. It is a two piece design with the upper part mounted andthe lower half removable. I found the removable part to be bulky and cumbersome to store in the basement. I am using a folding ladder as found at Lowes or Home Depot.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forest River Forums mobile app
gauchoverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #5

The roof is not smooth as it is "pebbled". I have been on it but do not know how slippery it is when wet.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forest River Forums mobile app
gauchoverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #6

Thanks for the info way more info on this forum than we could ever get from our dealer.
salexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by salexander View Post
Thanks for the info way more info on this forum than we could ever get from our dealer.
One more two cents worth. GT roofs are also "pebbled" fiberglass and my 200 plus never depressed the surface. I've been up there numerous times and with reasonable shoes never found it slippery. I thinks that's a liability avoidance measure by coachbuilders. Much more important to inspect, that "FG" has been known to crack and leak!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #8
nosaint3

Bought a 2013 Trilogy 3800RL last September and while troubleshooting my kitchen fan had no problems with the wet roof. Used my 17 ft little giant to get up there. Not easy but doable if careful.
nosaint3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:22 PM   #9

WE bought our 2013 Trilogy 3800D3 last year and had one camping season on it. This spring, I got up there on the roof and power washed it. Very firm and safe when dry but a little slippery when wet. I weight 275 and had no problems.
It's a pain not having a ladder. After storms and high winds, you need to check for fallen limbs and such. Also, need to check the
caulking every year. You need about an 18' ladder to get up there safely.
We love our coach, it's our retirement home. We have dealt directly with DYNAMAX and they where great!. I had repairs made by them last March and got a tour. My unit was number 100 and they was working on unit 356, they have made a lot of changes for the better.
To turn-off or on my electric hot water heater, I have to go outside to the cover for the hot water heater push a toggle switch, but the propane switch is inside in the control panel. To winterize my unit, I have to remove a wall in the basement and reach very fab n-back to turn the valves.
Mostly the Trilogy is a quality coach but they did some dumb stuff on this ine. Which surprises me because they've been building the motor coach's for many years.
I want to warn everybody about the dealer we used to buy our coach from. First off the lied to us about what our coach had in it. (we bought one that was at the factory, un-seen). After the sale they treaded us like dirt and ignored us. We had several little warranty problems and they said they fix thing that they did not. Their service was so bad we went directly to the factor for service.
They name of this dealer is "International RV" in Elkhart Indiaina.
So, unfortunately we have had a bad experience with this Trilogy and it just hurts to know I spent this kind of money and have all these problems. We had ordered a new 2006 Jayco Designer 36RLTS and never had one problem with it and paid about half as much.
But I still love it, what choose do I gave?
phil falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #10
Working the Life

Trilogy Roofs

I have a 2012 3800D3 Unit #92.
My FG roof was badly cracked in several locations. The factory had suggested that we send it back to the factory to have a new roof installed but since I use mine as my home while way for work that wasn't an option for me. The solution that was used was to spray the entire roof with Rhino Truck Bed spray. The result is fabulous as we were able to select the colour (Light Grey) and the roof is slip resistant as well. I will never have to worry about my roof again. Now if I could only say the same for the rest of the coach.
We have had so many issues that I'm starting to think we have a lemon. I still think we have the nicest unit available and would buy another in a minute. Lets hope they learn how to do it right before my next one.

KD

KD Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof