Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2014, 12:49 AM   #1

Water filter housing popping off.

Twice now the water filter housing has dropped and the basement flooded. I have an adjustable pressure regulator with gauge that I adjusted to 50 psi so the ice maker would work. I dont trust the FR filter, so I bypassed it and will purchase an aftermarket unit the next chance I get.
gauchoverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:36 AM   #2
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchoverde View Post
Twice now the water filter housing has dropped and the basement flooded. I have an adjustable pressure regulator with gauge that I adjusted to 50 psi so the ice maker would work. I dont trust the FR filter, so I bypassed it and will purchase an aftermarket unit the next chance I get.
Curious... how does the water filer housing drop? And even then, why would it spring a leak? Severing the plumbing?

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:01 AM   #3

The plumbing is not damaged. I twist the housing on with the wrench. And turn the supply on. Sometime later the housing either twists off or pops off and is laying on the floor with water spraying all around. Its the cartridge housing that covers the filter cartridge. I removed the whole assembly.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:56 AM   #4
Just a member

Quote:
The plumbing is not damaged. I twist the housing on with the wrench. And turn the supply on. Sometime later the housing either twists off or pops off and is laying on the floor with water spraying all around. Its the cartridge housing that covers the filter cartridge. I removed the whole assembly.
Ok... Your "cartridge housing" is more commonly referred to as a filter bowl and I suspect that the threads on either the filter bowl or the housing have been somehow compromised to the extent that the system water pressure is blowing the filter bowl off the housing. Is this (was this) a WaterPUR system?

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:26 AM   #5

Had close to the same problem on our Cedar Creek I just changed the filter bowl and have been fine ever since, might have been a thread problem as stated before. Good luck
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:55 AM   #6

Quote:

IMO, you are much better off with the aftermarket filter system. In most cases, better built, better water flow and filtering. Per the prior related thread, you can walk into a Home Depot or Lowes and buy a complete, upgraded system for about the same price as just replacing just one of the Forest River KW1 filters. A few years back, Forest River had WaterPur modify a standard filter and/or housing, so you have to buy their $29.95 plus shipping filers. The specifications on these units for water flow and filtration are average at best, at a premium price.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #7

Sorry about the terminology. I was planning to switch to an aftermarket system anyway.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #8

We bought a GE Model # GXWH20S from Home Depot. It was necessary to buy adapters also as the Trilogy water line is 1/2" and the filter is 3/4". Even with the reduction, the flow rate is phenomenal. You can buy cheap filters for just sediment (our choice as we already have a separate drinking line installed in the kitchen island where we use a $40 filter) or you can go to $19 or $26 better filters.

Some RVers believe the original is best (refer to the thread "KW1 filter myth") so it is good to compare what others have experienced. We are glad we switched last year.

JD
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #9

If it was me I would just put the whole works outside and worry not about water damage to the trailer.

Camco RV and Marine Water Filter Stand Camco Motorhome Accessories CAM40772
Old 08-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #10

We went with the 7 stage filtering system for the ice/water in the Fridge. I still have the OEM filter in the basement catching what out hose filter doesn't get. It is nice to finally drink water from our RV no matter where we go and not buy bottled water, not to mention the weight we save from not storing the bottled water.

Eventually I will probably just pull the OEM filter out and leave the canister empty. The inline hose filter will catch he chunks. The 7 stage system will give us great water and the rest just goes down the drain in the shower or sinks.

By the way, I did replace the filter cartridge in the fridge with an empty cartridge. It was keeping us from getting good water pressure at the fridge. The 7 stage does better than the fridge filter so the empty cartridge was the way to go.

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #11

Hey
Old 08-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #12

I meant to say: hey John I would like to know more about the seven stage system. Where did you get the emty cartridge or did you take the guts out of one. BTW the drain valve for the line to the fridge seems to be blocked since nothing comes out when I open it.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #13

Gauchoverde,

The filter for the fridge can be found at 242294502 - Bypass for WF3CB Filter (Rep. 242069602) and was a perfect fit.

I ordered the 7-stage filter system using iSpring RCC7AK-UV 7-Stage 75 Gpd UV Ultra Violet Alkaline Mineral Reverse Osmosis RO Water System with Luxury Faucet. I did not install the new faucet since I only wanted filtered water for the fridge.

I added a flow sensor iSpring 1-GPM 11-Watts UV Disinfection Sterilizer System with Smart Flow Sensor. This was after I had installed my system. Had I of known this would replace my UV light, I probably would have ordered the 6-stage system and this item, making it a 7-stage and saving me a few bucks.

Also added a water condition monitor HM Digital DM-1 In-Line Dual TDS Monitor, 0-9990 ppm Range, +/- 2% Readout Accuracy. This tells me the quality of the water going into the filter system and the quality coming out.

The 7-stage system listed above adds minerals back into the water and the water tastes great!

If you are not getting water out the drain line, are you getting anything out of the fridge? If not, line is plugged or not connected. Disconnect at the water manifold in the basement and blow air through the line to the fridge with the drain open. That would tell you if the line is blocked. Maybe you don't have the fridge water valve turned on at the manifold? Also, there is a water line shutoff for the fridge inside the cabinet under the stove. Access panel on the right side as you look into the cabinet. Remove it and there is a standard water line valve that feeds the fridge.

Let me know if you have more questions...

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Old 08-09-2014, 04:35 PM   #14

John, I am getting very low flow at the water dispenser. The valve at the manifold is on. I have replaced the cartridge filter in the fridge. Seems to me there is a restriction in the supply line.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #15

Low flow at the fridge was what I was getting no matter what I did until I replaced the fridge water filter with the empty cartridge.

The first thing I did before even using water from the fridge was to install the 7-stage filter system. Then when I tried to get water from the fridge, it just kind of trickled out. It would take minutes to fill a glass. I assumed the problem was the new water filter system I had installed and worked on that for weeks. I finally bypassed the new filter system and restored it to the factory plumbing. Ah ha! I had the same issue.

I ordered and installed a new fridge filter. Sadly, spent a lot of money for it and it did not change the situation at all. Same slow water stream.

Then I was looking for a issues others have had, I stumbled upon the empty cartridge. A couple days later after installing it and no more issues! I can fill the glass in about 20 seconds. That is with the empty cartridge and the 7-stage filter system all working in harmony.

John

Tags
water, water filter