Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2015, 11:08 PM   #1

Winterizing....

Our brief camping season is nearing it's end, we only have two more trips to go. Jasper for 5 nights, then home for a week, then back to Jasper for 4 nights, then shoot across to Whistler BC for 7 nights. Then home and done for the year, with a respectable (for us) 62 nights camped in 2015. We are loving the Trilogy so far.

I do have a couple questions about winterizing this rig.

The washer I would imagine if you put it on warm rinse and run it till good antifreeze comes in, then drain should be good?

The fridge water is straight forward, but what do you do for the ice maker? We never used the ice maker in our Seville, so I didn't have to worry about it.

Thanks!
-lenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:34 AM   #2

Lenny, if your Trilogy is setup similar to ours, you should have a shutoff valve under the drawer right beside the fridge where you can connect an air compressor or an airtank (use a pressure regulator and set it to ~30psi) and blow the water out the water dispenser into a pitcher and then open the low point drain. Remove the water filter and take it home with you or else it will freeze. That's it.
Do the washing machine as you're suggesting, plus add a cup or 2 of antifreeze to the drum when finished.
We still have an acreage project on the go west of Rocky Mountain House and might have to stick around well into Winter, with the fridge winterized of course. The main water manifold comes in very handy if you only need to keep the essential lines open.
John
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:39 PM   #3

Ah, yes I recall seeing that valve. I had not considered blowing the lines out, but I think I will give that a go this year.
-lenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:27 PM   #4

OK, so today I blew all the lines out. Got air out the water dispenser in the fridge (did nothing with the ice dispenser) , hot and cold lines purged to the washing machine, and all taps and showers, toilet purged. I have never used compressed air before, always antifreeze pumped throughout, but I am considering just dumping antifreeze in the traps, and in washing machine then a short drain cycle, and circulate antifreeze in the water pump.

Any feedback?
Old 10-08-2015, 10:30 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I would pump antifreeze, water can settle in low points. For what its worth. I just bought 4 gallons at TSC for $9.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:32 PM   #6

That is my thought as well, although here it is about 5$ per gallon. My wife does not care for the pink foamy water we get for the first trip or two of the year, so if i could avoid it I would.

Tags
winter, winterize