Old 08-02-2016, 01:42 PM   #1

2 Regulators on 5th. wheel

Wondering why there are 2 regulators on my 5th. wheel LP System.

The LP hose from the LP Tank on the curb side goes directly to the main regulator. However, the hose from the LP Tank on the driver side first goes to a red non adjustable regulator. This regulator is set for 30psi from the manufacturer.

What is the purpose of this regulator?

Why would one LP tank need to be regulated down to 30psi while the other is plumbed direct?

Fred n Wilma
2014 Ford F-150 EcoBoost
2015 Crusader 295RST
Fred H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:01 PM   #2

what you didn't say is where the drivers side goes after the red regulator. I suspect it then goes to what you called the main regulator on the curb side. I suspect that this main regulator is automatic cross over regulator that draws propane from one tank and then the other. one of my tanks has a red non adjustable regulator that then feeds the automatic cross over regulator on the other tank. check the main regulator. does it have a lever to select a tank and an indicator (green when selected tank is not empty, red when empty)?

Old 08-02-2016, 02:29 PM   #3

Reading other posts here it seems that it's code that for a long run of LP gas through a rubber hose it has to be regulated down. Thus the reason for the Red regulator on the street side LP tank on my 5th. wheel.
It then supplies one side of the switch over regulator on the curb side.
If you look close where those hoses screw into the switch over regulator, you will notice what looks like a brass fitting connecting the hose to the regulator. These are "check valve" fittings. You can't tell them apart from a standard brass fitting from the outside.

The check valve between the street side hose and the switch over regulator has failed me twice in less than a year of use. The tank is only half empty.

I have never used the so called auto switch over. I always only open one tank at a time and manually switch them when the tank goes empty. If this check valve fails me again, I'm thinking of removing it and putting in a brass fitting without the check valve. As long as I own the trailer I don't see any harm. BUT if someone else uses it and opens both tanks at the same time, problems could arise. Thoughts?

Fred n Wilma
2014 Ford F-150 EcoBoost
2015 Crusader 295RST
Old 08-02-2016, 05:59 PM   #4

may I ask a question about the check valves that have been mentioned. they are on the end of the pigtail and they are what connect to the regulator, correct? if you were to buy a new pigtail it would come with a new check valve attached, correct? several people mentioned that they fail. how do they fail? do they fail to open which would prevent propane from flowing from the tank? or do they fail to close? if so, what would the symptom be? thanks
Old 08-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
may I ask a question about the check valves that have been mentioned. they are on the end of the pigtail and they are what connect to the regulator, correct? if you were to buy a new pigtail it would come with a new check valve attached, correct? several people mentioned that they fail. how do they fail? do they fail to open which would prevent propane from flowing from the tank? or do they fail to close? if so, what would the symptom be? thanks
When the check valves fail they do not let gas pass in my experience. Mine were screwed on to the end of the pigtail. I have replaced both of them with regular fittings w/o the valve. I always open both tanks and the regulator switches from the empty to the full tank just like the systems did before the check valves were required. Also with the new requirements came the second regulator for long runs of hose. So if your tanks are not on the same side of the trailer you will have 2 regulators. I also just removed the second (red) regulator when it failed. I did ask a propane professional before I did.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #6
Site Team

Good timing for me finding this just now. I put an analog gauge on both my tanks today to check levels before a trip. Now I'm getting no gas from the red regulator side.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 14; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:43 AM   #7

Thanks for the post NMWildcat

This is exactly what I'm going to do the next time I have any type of failure.

Fred n Wilma
2014 Ford F-150 EcoBoost
2015 Crusader 295RST
Old 08-03-2016, 03:05 PM   #8

2 regulators

The second regulator is close to the tank that has the longest run of hose after it. The propane tanks have valves that are suppose to close if there is too much gas flow leaving the tank (ie broken hose). In theory, the second regulator is suppose to slow down the flow from the tank with the longest hose when it is initially opened to avoid the excess flow valve inside the tank from closing.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #9
Site Team

Thanks to the helpful posts in this thread, I determined which check valve failed, bought a new one and replaced the bad one, ran my tests and all is well again. I'm getting good flow from that off-side (red regulator) side. Thanks again!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 14; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:13 PM   #10

Absolutely Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyslick View Post
The second regulator is close to the tank that has the longest run of hose after it. The propane tanks have valves that are suppose to close if there is too much gas flow leaving the tank (ie broken hose). In theory, the second regulator is suppose to slow down the flow from the tank with the longest hose when it is initially opened to avoid the excess flow valve inside the tank from closing.
You are dead on right on that answer Johnny. Our little red 30 psi reg. blew one night and we kept getting propane leak alarms (despite the louvered vent outside of the tank chamber). After the second alarm reset, I just went out and shut off each of the propane tanks and opened both propane doors wide and no further alarms until morning. I began to check for propane leaks at the fittings and hose and valves with soap solution but when I got to the red regulator I did not need soap solution as the gas was screaming out the regulators small hole vent port. The diaphragm had ruptured. Sooo, I left the gas shut off on this tank and at the next stop in Homestead, Florida went hunting for a replacement regulator which I was able to find at the only RV parts shop and then for about double what it should have been. I later found another one near my homebase after our return for a spare for a lot less. I think it is a good idea to keep one of these on board. The expert answers I got were all the same as yours - to keep the excess flow tank valve from closing. Best not replace the check valves or bypass/not install this regulator!

Tags
5th wheel, wheel