Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #1

24 gal tank self emptying

Hello welcome,

Our class A FR3 has been in service since 2014, and always left propane in it in case of an emergency. At one time it was gas tight enough to stay full a year at a time or more.

My last tank of propane leaked out in less than a month, July of 2018.

I have purchased a new regulator for the tank but don’t want to swap out good parts for good parts.

How can I troubleshoot the regulator - that in fact it is the cause of a leak.

The pounding the coach gets with the primitive suspension gives me pause that maybe something lost it’s gas seal.

Thanks

Michael
repsolgamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

When it comes to propane leaking out.....and certainly as fast as you outlined....

I leave it to the professionals. If you’re wrong,things can go BOOM

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:15 PM   #3

Good advice, wish I could troubleshoot without flammable gas present.

Calling RV repair.

Michael
repsolgamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:42 PM   #4

IF it hasn't blown up by now, you should be ok to troubleshoot yourself. Just don't turn on electrical switches, smoke, or have open flame anywhere near your camper.

I've had a couple of propane leaks over the years. One was from the factory not putting any tape or pipe dope on any of the rv's black pipe fittings. Discovered this when I was reinforcing my water tank mounts and smelled gas under the camper. It was an easy fix.

Recently, I had a gas leak inside my camper. It was the connection to my gas stove. There was no tape on the threaded insert that goes into the tiny gas regulator in the gas stove.

All leaks discovered using a spray bottle of a soapy solution. I was told by a propane tech that using dish soap like Dawn is not a good idea because it can oxidize copper lines. He recommended using bubble mix that kids use to blow bubbles.

I'm 90% sure your leak is probably cause by a bad regulator. I'd replace it first before squirting each fitting with bubble solution looking for leaks.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
TranceX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:24 PM   #5

Due to the possibility of a leak, I've made it a habit to always turn off the tank (s) when not in use. Never had a laek, by the way...but it surely could happen!
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:29 PM   #6

Let us know what the repair person says.

You can take the regulator to a propane shop and they can test it for you. Test the pipes by spraying soapy water on the outside pipes. After that, I'd do what you're doing, have a repair person take care of it.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsolgamma View Post
Good advice, wish I could troubleshoot without flammable gas present.

Calling RV repair.

Michael
If the tank is removable, just take it to a propane dealer and have them check the tank. I had a slow leak in a tank that didn't even show up with a gas detector for years. Thought I was just using a lot of gas. It was where the valve goes into the tank that had a small leak in it. Took over a year for it to leak out. Propane dealer fixed it, rectified the tank and all was well from then on. If you are leaving your valve open on the tank, then it could be a leak in the system. If you are closing the valve and it is still leaking, it's probably the tank.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank