Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2015, 06:33 PM   #1

Adding an external propane tank to supplement an internal tank

Why is it very important to use only vertical DOT propane cylinders in campers designed for vertical cylinders and horizontal DOT propane cylinders for campers designed for horizontal cylinders.
black999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Your question is confusing as the title refers to adding an external tank. You can add an external tank and it can be either vertical or horizontal as long as it is mounted ( used) in the orientation it was designed for. The difference is the internal mechanism that draws the gaseous propane into your system. A horizontal tank has the pickup positioned such that when horizontal with the up side up, the pick up is in the gaseous space above the liquid propane. In a vertical tank the pickup is mounted in the gaseous space near the top of the tank. One caution using either tank unmounted. You must have a way to keep the tank in the correct position with the up side up. On another note, for consumer sized portable tanks the cost of a horizontal tank is considerably most than the cost of a vertical tank.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for the confusion. I have an internal horizontal tank fixed to my motorhome and I want to use an external vertical tank to supplement the horizontal tank when parked for an extended time period. I was aware of the importance of keeping the tanks properly oriented as you described. Assuming I use the proper T fitting to add the external tank, are the pressures of the LPG from horizontal and vertical tanks the same?
Old 01-12-2015, 08:00 PM   #4
Site Team

I would use a switching regulator vs a "T"

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:04 PM   #5

Those horizontal tanks are almost useless in motorhomes. When I had a motorhome, I attached an extend-a-stay so I could add a vertical tank for more volume.

You can find them on Amazon.

Good luck,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:38 PM   #6

You bet. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:56 PM   #7

I have an Extend-a-Stay by Marshall Products that works well, but I've seen one that I like better. The Sturgi-Stay kit has a quick disconnect with a shutoff valve for the connection to the coach gas line. The Marshall Products kit has a threaded fitting so it has to be screwed into a fitting tee in the coach's gas line every time you use it. The fitting has a small diameter thread and I worry that I will cross thread it some time.

A Starcraft popup that I had for many years had a quick disconnect with a valve like the Sturgi-Stay and it worked very well. There was a bracket on the side of the popup with a hose that passed through the side so I could use the 3 burner RV stovetop (not a Coleman camp stove) outside.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:35 PM   #8

I am new to this forum: I just purchased a 2011 Solera. Can I have a dealer install a larger propane tank? I do not want to carry a portable. Thanks.
EagleBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:22 PM   #9
Old Enough to Know Better

EagleBeach short answer yes but..., A bigger tank would require the necessary ground clearance and mounting location clearance. Plus new tanks are not cheap. Contact your dealer or your local LP gas Dealer (Amerigas, Ferrellgas, Suburban etc) and they should be willing to measure and order you a tank.
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank