Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #1

Anyone have warped windows?

A couple of weeks ago I took our TT into the dealer to get a few things looked at before the warranty ran out (with about a week to expiration).

In doing a check over of our unit at home before taking it in, I noticed that two of the windows would not close on the lower right hand corners (nearest the winder mechanism). After reading over and over again how much damage water can cause if it gets inside RVs, I wanted to prevent water from getting in through these windows.

At first the dealer agreed it was not right and that they would order a couple of new windows for us from the factory. Then they called today and said that Forest River wants them to conduct some kind of "water test". I suddenly feel like this is going to be another argument with them.... Are they going to spray on a water mist and say it is okay? Is there a correct test for determining if water can penetrate? We get rain just about every day all winter long around here and often it is very windy and the rain gets driven at a 45 degree angle.

Aren't dealers empowered to make decisions on issues like this? Does Forest River have to pre-authorize everything or is it an excuse? Almost starting to wonder why have a warranty at all if they just don't want to fix things. Grrr....
Old 08-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Forest River has the final decision on replacement of parts, rendering of services. If the dealer was to act without getting authorization from FR, he may not get paid by FR should they feel that it isn't a warranty issue, in which case the dealer would be loooking for you to pay.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:32 PM   #3

Okay, but if it is an obvious defect, why can't they just go ahead and fix it?

Now, I have to tow the TT into the dealer just so they can now do a water test and then I will have to go back again to get the new ones installed (if in fact they do cover them). That will be 3 trips into the dealer to fix something that *should be* straightforward.

Sorry, but I am finding it is so frustrating to have to go through their process.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #4

I understand your frustration. at the facility I manage, there is a huge wall of windows to let light in, which is great, except it leaked ever since new....after much fighting and arguing, the manufacturer had a third party conduct water tests to help determine the cause. There was a specified pressure, nozzel, and angle, of water to be applied to the exterior. It took these tests to get them to finally pull all the glass and re-install the whole "wall".
I doubt the tests on your trailer will be quite as standardized, but it is a path they must take.
How it all works out the best for YOU when this is done.

Happy Camping
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote